Unable to use Visa bank cards

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
For a couple of weeks I have been unable to use either of my Lloyds Bank (UK) debit cards with Visa chips or my credit card with same. My cards have not expired and I have sufficient money in my UK accounts. I first assumed it was a temporary problem at the Dominican end (whether technical or contractual) and would get resolved.

However, yesterday I spoke with the assistant manager in the Dominican bank where I have an account and she told me that it is a general problem across the DR with all banking companies and the situation will not change.

I will thus have to make other arrangements to transfer my pension money from my UK account to the DR. A visitor from England offered to lend me some money to tide me over until I can do so, only to find she was unable to use her card, much to her surprise.

Can anyone explain the nature of this (fairly recent) problem? The bank officer I spoke to did not have a clue, although she did offer the valuable intelligence that "no es nuestra culpa".

Is it limited to UK accounts or European Union accounts? Is it something to do with a new generation of smart chips? If the latter, I would have expected my bank to have issue me with replacement cards. Or is it a contractual problem with the Visa company such as their cutting off service because the DR banks have not paid their accounts?

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Hi there London, I am a Londoner who has her own account here with a VISA and Debit card from my account here. I found it too difficult to use my bank cards here (hated the charges). What has Lloyds said? Can they shed any light? (I'm with NatWest).

The only way I can think of going around this (as you can't open a Sterling account here) is open a Lloyds Euro account, move sterling into Euros account and write a cheque. My other half has a Barclays account in Spain and can write a cheque without incurring any fees :D The only problem is make sure that your signature is updated.. you don't want it to bounce as that will cause you a 1% penalty fee (ouch) - minimum!

I am not sure if you can use www.xoom.com from UK bank to DR bank (I know they can do it from the USA for a nominal fee - much better than bank transfers... seeing as we still can't get PayPal here.. well we can but it is usually attached to a DR credit card and they won't let you take the money out of the account, just keep it there as a credit... not useful when you need CASH).

Good luck

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I used to use my First Direct (HSBC) card inside the bank to withdraw money. Now I can't as they said they have changed the machine and it does not recognise the card. However I can still withdraw money outside - or I could a couple of weeks ago, but not checked since. I can transfer money from the UK to banco popular with a fixed charge of 25 pounds, irrespective of the amount transferred.

Matilda

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
After visiting here since 1986, and living here since 1995, here's what I have learned from way to many bad experiences with ANY type of "Money/CC/Debit/ cards, "Don't Use Them HERE"!!!!!!!
At the least, you will pay high "Fees", both from your home bank, AND the Dominican bank doing the transaction here.
At the worst, you will have thousands of dollars,pounds, Euros, or whatever you use at "Home", disappear from your account!
I have my income deposited in my bank in Boston.
I write my personal checks to be cashed here in Santo Domingo.
You only/MUST develop a relationship with a "Casa de Cambio" near where you live/stay here in the DR!!!!!!!!
Have someone you know, who has such a relationship, go with you to the "Casa", and vouch for you.
Cash a small check at first, and as you gain their trust, you will be able to cash larger amounts.
When I bought my house here 16 years ago, I cashed a check for $60,000. USD, and a few weeks later for $80,000.USD.
I asked the owner how big a personal check of mine he would cash???
He didn't even hesitate, "$100,000.
And THAT, was 16 years ago!!!!!
When I still HAD $100,000.USD!!!!:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
It may be just a call to your Bank for I had the same issue when I came to the DR in 2007..I tried using my card, I got a few different messages from the ATM, then finally contact your financial institution or something like that..I use TD Bank in New Jersey, still do today. So, I called, got transferred to their Visa Dept and BAM! my card was now locked...Seems that TD Bank has some kind of an automated system to stop any and all transactions outside of the US unless you notify them..

I spoke with the Visa Dept, advised them that I was now living in the DR etc, but was able to keep my old NJ addy for a few reasons, just needed to have that addy. Since that time, I am now able to withdraw my entire funds via Popular bank if I choose to do so..I hand over my card with passport, pin of my card if asked, and I'm out..That said, I would defiantly call your bank to see if they have such protection as well, may be just a simple call...Now, word of caution..My card has been compromised 5 times since being her via ATM machines..I was told that some ATM's have skimmers on them. 3 out of the 5 times came from Scotia in SD on Nunez right next to the National Supermarket, they could care less when I inquired about it..

So, what I was told by the Visa Fraud hotline, feel around the area where you insert your card for any wires or see if its loose in any way..If so, do not use it! I have no idea how these folks can setup a skimmer on an ATM that is attached to the bank. So for me, I feel it was an inside job..I mean come on, nobody checks the camera???Yea sure..

Hope this helps, give your bank a call

Anthony

For a couple of weeks I have been unable to use either of my Lloyds Bank (UK) debit cards with Visa chips or my credit card with same. My cards have not expired and I have sufficient money in my UK accounts. I first assumed it was a temporary problem at the Dominican end (whether technical or contractual) and would get resolved.

However, yesterday I spoke with the assistant manager in the Dominican bank where I have an account and she told me that it is a general problem across the DR with all banking companies and the situation will not change.

I will thus have to make other arrangements to transfer my pension money from my UK account to the DR. A visitor from England offered to lend me some money to tide me over until I can do so, only to find she was unable to use her card, much to her surprise.

Can anyone explain the nature of this (fairly recent) problem? The bank officer I spoke to did not have a clue, although she did offer the valuable intelligence that "no es nuestra culpa".

Is it limited to UK accounts or European Union accounts? Is it something to do with a new generation of smart chips? If the latter, I would have expected my bank to have issue me with replacement cards. Or is it a contractual problem with the Visa company such as their cutting off service because the DR banks have not paid their accounts?

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Skynet, the USA is slightly different to the UK re: banking issues but I agree at least try and get in contact with the UK bank good luck, London777, let us know how you get on...

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
I took money from Banco Popular last Tuesday using my (UK) Mastercard CC (this card was issued a few years ago, but note that it is not Visa). All was good. In fact the last few months they have stopped charging me the 120 pesos !!!??? (Though this used to be shown as fees on the receipt, it may still be done but the machine does not even ask me about it while it did before.... !? It doesn't show the peso amount on the CC statement so difficult to say)

But I used to be able to take money out from Progreso, Scotia and Reserva etc., all of them stop working when I came here and tried this last May, so now only Banco Popular works. I recommend trying different banks - by the way the messages come up all different and weird like, temporary out of service, can not process your order etc.

I guess you have already done this but check that your bank did not put a block on your card - insist they check and double check this, they did this to me a few times even when I had called and had told them about my travel plans.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
.......I hand over my card with passport, pin of my card if asked, and I'm out...........My card has been compromised 5 times since being her via ATM machines..

Anthony

You give your card pin to someone else !!!??? I am very surprised, they always say you should never ever give out your pin to anyone, no wonder your card is compromised !!!??? (Many banks will not cover you if it is found you have been careless with your pin !)

FredBlogs

Jun 18, 2009
London777

Sir, I have lived here on and off for some 8 years and also maintain an account with Lloyds in the UK. I have given up trying to use their cards here as they always refuse any transaction originated in the DR because of the vast amount of fraud, even cancelling the card on one occasion causing more problems for replacement.

Even trying to purchase something via the internet is met with refusal.

On their website is an international number to call to advise of foreign transactions, but obviously there is the cost of the call and the inconvenience if you need to use the card 'out of hours', plus if you use the card regularly you'll spend more time calling the UK than using the card.

Better to open a local account and have your pension transferred, even using WU once a month will cause you less stress, and like me you could be one of only a few gringos who actually receive dosh from WU.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Come think of it FredBlogs, I think I have also heard this about Lloyds cards on international ATM and usage as well....very picky and troublesome...

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I have a Visa card with my UK bank Nat west, my main Visa card is with Nationwide. i have had no problems, at least not up to last Friday when I used it to pay a bill at Lindo supermarket. My pension is paid into my Natwest a/c and every so often i make a transfer, in dollars, to my account with Banco Popular. I use HIFX for the transfer - no fees no charges and its here within the week. i then take out of BP the dollars I want, toddle up to Caribe Express and change it into pesos.