Natural gas conversion

jekel35

Oct 31, 2012
Hey,
Does anyone have any experience with converting there gas guzzler over to natural gas? We are thinking about converting our Xterra to use natural gas. Any advice for having the conversion done in the SD?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
It's been discussed several times here. Some advocate it, some think it's a waste of money (me included). A search might yield a few threads about it.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The Xterra engine was never meant to run on CNG. It will be gutless as CNG makes about 40% less heat than gasoline.

I won't even get into the cost and fuel availability.

It concerns me to have a bottle of flamable gas held at 3000-3600psi in a vehicle in Dominican traffic.

jekel35

Oct 31, 2012
The thousands of stations that sell gas sell propane. And natural gas is different. How and where would you get fueled up on a regular basis. $28,000 was the estimate my brother got when he thought of conpressing his own natural gas in Tennessee.
Der Fish

So many I am using the wrong verbiage. What everyone calls "gas" here, is that propane or CNG?

jekel35

Oct 31, 2012
Ok, so propane it is. So back to my original question does anyone have suggestions or experience with someone to install it?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Ok, so propane it is. So back to my original question does anyone have suggestions or experience with someone to install it?
Lots of info on it here on DR1.

It is not the great option it once was when LP was subsidized and was 1/5 the price of gasoline. It's now just under half.

Additionally, cars perform poorly because the thermal potential is 30% less than gasoline, and as a dry gas will strip intake valves and in/ex valve guides of lubrication unless an injector system is used...and you're talking US$3500 for that type. It also clogs CatCons because there is no conversion that takes place.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
It also decreases the resale value of the car, and of course takes a lot of real state in the back. All things considered, I don't think it's worth it. But it seems to work for Derfish, so I guess to each his own.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Why would it decrease the resale value? Many people wouldn't consider a car without it here.

Because of all the damages CB pointed out before. Engines (and other parts) get damaged over time when using gas as fuel. Now, it might not be important if it is an older car, but you have to factor the cost of engine overhaul in a few years if you plan to keep the car in the long run.

jekel35

Oct 31, 2012
Ok people. Before this gets derailed, I know everyone's got an opinion about whether to do it or not. Fortunately, this post was simply about a reputable place/person to install one. I am currently in Santo Domingo, but we do try and spend as much time up north near Cabarete/Sosua as possible. So either place would work.

Thanks

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
I have a friend in SD, taxi guy, think he spent about 6,000 pesos for the install. His wife is having some major issues with Cancer right now, but I can call him for you. If he is okay with you calling him, then I will PM his number to you..

Anthony

Ok people. Before this gets derailed, I know everyone's got an opinion about whether to do it or not. Fortunately, this post was simply about a reputable place/person to install one. I am currently in Santo Domingo, but we do try and spend as much time up north near Cabarete/Sosua as possible. So either place would work.

Thanks

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Is there any proof of the damage from using propane?? I never heard of any from the States being in the car business for many Years..Even the public transportation such as Buses has changed over for not only costs, but its suppose to burn cleaner. If so, I can't see how it will damage valves, rods, pistons, Cats, etc...You should see the inside of an engine from gas over time...However, its always best to use additives no matter what is used as fuel,, they will keep those things clean which leads to longer life for your vehicle in general..

That said, is it a kit issue?? are there special valves that should be included and are not?? Steel VS Aluminum parts for example,, Just curious..

Anthony

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Is there any proof of the damage from using propane?? I never heard of any from the States being in the car business for many Years..Even the public transportation such as Buses has changed over for not only costs, but its suppose to burn cleaner. If so, I can't see how it will damage valves, rods, pistons, Cats, etc...You should see the inside of an engine from gas over time...However, its always best to use additives no matter what is used as fuel,, they will keep those things clean which leads to longer life for your vehicle in general..

That said, is it a kit issue?? are there special valves that should be included and are not?? Steel VS Aluminum parts for example,, Just curious..

Anthony
Plenty of evidence.

First of all every LP installation in the states is the fancy injector system that includes proper chips for the computer. Such systems are rare here because they cost so much. To install them a mechanic has to drill holes into the intake runners, a process that is fairly precise. I saw one being installed on an Explorer and the mechanics were freaked because they drilled a hole 1/32 to big and didn't know what to do.

What you see in the DR are manifold systems where the propane in manually metered into the air system distal the filter. Engine coolant converts the liquid into a gas. Hardly precise, and the raw propane flows past the intake valves/guides and literally wipes them clean of engine lubrication. Many don't realize gasoline is a lubricant to intake valve stems & guides. The poorly cumbusted exhaust flows past valve stems/guides and also wipe them clean of lubrication...but this time hot gasses.

The manifold system requires recalibration and cleaning very often, depending how much you drive. We drive around 12,000 miles a year and had to do it every 4-6 weeks when our 2002 XTERRA began running really crappy. I should say crappier, because even running perfectly it ran much poorer than on gasoline, at least a 20% degradation in all levels of performance. The cost for maintenance was around RD$900 each time, and RD$1500 when the internal rubber diaphragm was replaced, about every 4th time.

Look, I'm a serious gearhead from waaaaay back. I know machines. When propane was RD$35 a gallon and gasoline was RD$225 a gallon, the US$700 manifold system made economic sense at first blush. What I didn't know at the time was the increased unit maintenance, poor performance...or the top-end overhaul I had to do because the worn valve stems and guides began leaking engine oil into the cylinders. That was around $US1200 to take care of properly.

Unless one is just stubbornly hell-bent on LP and is willing to spend US$3500+ for the PROPER conversion, I don't see how an cost/benefit economic model can be built that shows positive on the balance sheet.

But to each their own.

I have a full used Romano system for sale that my mechanic in Santiago will install in your car for $500 total, unit, wiring, 19g tank, fuel lines, electronic gauge/switch, etc. It was in my X-Terra. When I sold the vehicle the buyer wanted it removed before taking possession.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
I have been investigating if propane system are compatible with natural gas and hydrogen, or can ben upgraded.

those are the real good alternatives in the long run, specially hydrogen wich is everywhere and you can produce it yourself if given the instruction, not likely the oil companies will allow this this to happen, they have the $$, therefore the last word.

this later fuel has been used for long decades but only by those who are allowed to use it, despite it found everywhere, in fact it is the most common element on earth

btw gasoline is one the most dangerous fuels... gas quickly evaporate, gasoline can create hell

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
those are the real good alternatives in the long run, specially hydrogen wich is everywhere and you can produce it yourself if given the instruction, not likely the oil companies will allow this this to happen, they have the $$, therefore the last word.
You realize with current do-it-yourself technology-hydrolysis-it takes more BTU's to produce the hydrogen than the hydrogen produces?

How is that an alternative?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Don't you get the spam telling you how to save millions with hydrogen fuel? I can forward you some if you are lacking.
Der Fish
:cheeky:

My mechanic claimed he could make hydrogen fuel. He showed me how: he had hooked up a 12v motor attached to a car battery to run an alternator that hydrolyzed some water, and he lit it with a match. It burned.

I asked him how much the electricity was costing to charge the battery that created the gas that went *poof*...and he looked at me quizzically...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I am working on a "system", where I stick a small hose up my A$$ that runs directly to the carburator.
The Methane burns with "Explosive Force", but the car's exhaust fumes smell really stinky.
I find that the more hard boiled eggs and "Presidente" I consume, the faster my car goes!
AND, it's "Sustainable"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Carbon Footprint "MY A$$", so to speak.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Time for bed, I sleep alone now!
Even the dog can't take it!