Disgraced Police Lt. Col. nabbed with ?millions? of dollars, euros(Update

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
The authorities reportedly seized, from the former colonel, whose nicknamed ?El arbitrario,? millions in euros and dollars

Santo Domingo.- Antinarcotics (DNCD) Anti-laundering Unit agents on Sunday arrested former Police Lt. Colonel Joan Liriano at a luxury high-rise apartment in the National Distrito Evaristo Morales? sector.

The authorities reportedly seized, from the former colonel, whose nicknamed ?El arbitrario,? millions in euros and dollars, hidden in a closet and three luxury vehicles and a high-powered motorcycle.

Liriano, currently detained National Police headquarters, had been dishonorably discharged a few months ago, after having held key DNCD positions at Las Americas and Higuero airports.

He was known for threatening reporters who cover both airports to ?manufacturing files? implicating them in drug trafficking cases.

Update

The National Police said Liriano was the owner of the farm at Santa Mar?a, San Crist?bal, where alleged hired killers murdered one of their colleagues linked to international drug traffickers.
http://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/...l-nabbed-with-millions-of-dollars-eurosUpdate

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
Yes, this guy is quite interesting. I wonder if he was under observation since making those threats to the reporters at the airport? This, to me, is another revelation which is plaguing the discipline forces - preventing them from being more effective combatting the propagation of drugs.

I believe, like most, due to the paltry earnings offered to the forces, a large percentage are compromised by the lure of "easy money" and the access to the endless supply of high quality drugs.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yes, this guy is quite interesting. I wonder if he was under observation since making those threats to the reporters at the airport? This, to me, is another revelation which is plaguing the discipline forces - preventing them from being more effective combatting the propagation of drugs.

I believe, like most, due to the paltry earnings offered to the forces, a large percentage are compromised by the lure of "easy money" and the access to the endless supply of high quality drugs.

delite, i also believe that they are compromised by their lack of self respect, integrity, and common decency. i am fully aware that police officers are paid peanuts. however, there comes a time when some of these guys amass fortunes by thievery, and that does not stop them from stealing more. just like the politicians who just cannot have enough in a land where 42% of the people live below the poverty line.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
Yeah, but you know that money cannot buy class. I would be in error if I were to imply or equate self respect and integrity with ones social class. You and I are both aware of humble people rubbing two pesos together to make ends meet. You can almost bet your life on their honesty, however, one in command and control situations, I feel are lured to the temptations easier.

For example, having a weapon and the authority to detain is another factor attributing to the decadence in the overall society. Drug dealers or those involved in illicit actions often seek out officers for information gathering, protection and enforcement.

I, as an honest individual to an extent, would fall prey to the lure of the money. Its quite difficult to live on that salary bro. I am sorry, but I have to feed my family and I hope that god forgives me for my sins. I would advertise my services to the highest bidder if there's a classified section for the underworld. :)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Yeah, but you know that money cannot buy class. I would be in error if I were to imply or equate self respect and integrity with ones social class. You and I are both aware of humble people rubbing two pesos together to make ends meet. You can almost bet your life on their honesty, however, one in command and control situations, I feel are lured to the temptations easier.

For example, having a weapon and the authority to detain is another factor attributing to the decadence in the overall society. Drug dealers or those involved in illicit actions often seek out officers for information gathering, protection and enforcement.

I, as an honest individual to an extent, would fall prey to the lure of the money. Its quite difficult to live on that salary bro. I am sorry, but I have to feed my family and I hope that god forgives me for my sins. I would advertise my services to the highest bidder if there's a classified section for the underworld. :)

delite, i appreciate your honesty. the reason is that i too cannot say what i would do if some guy offered me a Ferrari and a million dollars to see no evil.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
delite, i appreciate your honesty. the reason is that i too cannot say what i would do if some guy offered me a Ferrari and a million dollars to see no evil.

Bro, the job description of a lawman is serious. Unfortunately, the salary doesn't complement the danger. If the salary is paltry, you are going to attract said people. Someone with a college degree cannot be enticed to work for those wages, hence, for the most part, you are recruiting people with marginal standards. I am not suggesting that they are not respectable, or lack ethics, but to feel like one is fully invested, requires more rewards than just the motto enshrined in an organization.

Its not a secret that fringe benefits are offered to an employee in addition to a salary in terms of retention. We both know that its cheaper to retain an employee than to train a new one. Every month, I read about the high number of turnovers in both National Police and DNCD. Most separations are due to misconduct, corruption or breach of established rules. Again, I would attribute most of these infractions to the paltry salary paid to the ranks.

You are working with the cartels. I haven't reached that level as yet. For me, a Yipeta and a couple thousand dollars will suffice.

I am going on record again to say that I would be willing to accept bribes in order to eek out a living. :)

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Bro, the job description of a lawman is serious, unfortunately, the salary doesn't complement the danger. If the salary is paltry, you are going to attract said person. Someone with a college degree cannot be enticed to work for those wages, hence, for the most part, you are recruiting people of marginal standards. I am not suggesting that they are not respectable, or lack ethics, but feeling like one is fully invested requires more than the motto of an organization.

Its not a secret that fringe benefits are offered in addition to a salary in terms of retention. We both know that its cheaper to retain an employee than to train a new one. Every month I read about the high number of turnovers in both National Police and DNCD. Most separations are due to misconduct, corruption or breach of established rules. Again, I would attribute most of these infractions to the paltry salary paid to the ranks.

I am going on record again to say that I would be willing to accept bribes in order to eek out a living. :)

i go beyond the thinking involving eking out a living. a have never been rich. will never be. i could always feed a family, and put two guys through college. i have always wondered what would happen if i was confronted with an offer like the one i suggested in my prior post.

there is no theoretical answer to that question. any man can say that he was raised by honest parents, and he comes from a long line of honorable people, and his morality is hidebound. he can only be sure in the face of the actual test. i once sat in Mike Tyson's Ferrari Testa Rossa, and i do not know what i would do if i was offered one of those to turn a blind eye to a drug shipment or two.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
i go beyond the thinking involving eking out a living. a have never been rich. will never be. i could always feed a family, and put two guys through college. i have always wondered what would happen if i was confronted with an offer like the one i suggested in my prior post.

there is no theoretical answer to that question. any man can say that he was raised by honest parents, and he comes from a long line of honorable people, and his morality is hidebound. he can only be sure in the face of the actual test. i once sat in Mike Tyson's Ferrari Testa Rossa, and i do not know what i would do if i was offered one of those to turn a blind eye to a drug shipment or two.

We are in accord on a personal level, but the situation confronting the average police officer on the streets of the Dominican Republic is antithetical to the lives you and I live. You, of course, being more cognizant of the latter due to the fact that you reside there. However, having visited many countries similar to the DR, I honestly have to say that the situation replicates itself and the catalyst is always the salary. I have also seen disciplined, righteous individuals succumb to this plague for economic reasons.

To borrow the phrase from one here..."there by the grace of god go I."

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We are in accord on a personal level, but the situation confronting the average police officer on the streets of the Dominican Republic is antithetical to the lives you and I live. You, of course, being more cognizant of the latter due to the fact that you reside there. However, having visited many countries similar to the DR, I honestly have to say that the situation replicates itself and the catalyst is always the salary. I have also seen disciplined, righteous individuals succumb to this plague for economic reasons.

your last sentence, in my case, would possibly read;

there, but for the grace of God, possibly go I.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

There crooked cops in countries like Canada and USA , and they have very good salaries, so wages might be a factor, but it can't be the only factor.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
your last sentence, in my case, would possibly read;

there, but for the grace of God, possibly go I.

I would just add that life is like a book where we are just characters. The one who created knows the beginning, life experiences and the end.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
There crooked cops in countries like Canada and USA , and they have very good salaries, so wages might be a factor, but it can't be the only factor.

I knew you weren't going to let me down. That's a fair point, however, I am sure you would agree that the level of corruption has an indirect correlation to the salary earned.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I would just add that life is like a book where we are just characters. The one who created knows the beginning, life experiences and the end.

my father occupied a position in which he could have stolen prodigious amounts of money, but he died flat broke, even though he was also a surgeon. he never stole a dime, and he never charged poor people for services and medicine. he basically gave his working years away. i do not know if i could be like him.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
my father occupied a position in which he could have stolen prodigious amounts of money, but he died flat broke, even though he was also a surgeon. he never stole a dime, and he never charged poor people for services and medicine. he basically gave his working years away. i do not know if i could be like him.

I'd say he probably lived a rich life. Money isn't everything.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006

God bless his eternal soul!

Money isn't innately evil, the worship of course is. Previously, I asked his forgiveness before undertaking my quest into the underworld. I would be that cop taking bribes, but only to survive :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I knew you weren't going to let me down. That's a fair point, however, I am sure you would agree that the level of corruption has an indirect correlation to the salary earned.

That's sounds reasonable until you take into account that most corruption takes place with high level officials that make a good salary. Corruption flourishes when there are opportunities available without controls or accountability.
Accountability has to do with the fact that for proper observance of rules and regulations, those administering the
rules must be held responsible and accountable for their actions.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
That's sounds reasonable until you take into account that most corruption takes place with high level officials that make a good salary. Corruption flourishes when there are opportunities available without controls or accountability.
Accountability has to do with the fact that for proper observance of rules and regulations, those administering the
rules must be held responsible and accountable for their actions.

High level officials are still compromised by paltry salaries, therefore, of course there are going to be temptations ultimately leading to corruption. An in depth review and wage increases are in dire need for the ranks. I almost believe that there is a conspiracy to curtail the effectiveness of the police force which enables the drug trade to flourish.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
This thread has a few posters in an arse-licking contest.

Say and think what you may or may not do if you were an underpaid dominican policeman, but at the end of the day, would you accept the inevitable 'ajuste de cuenta'.

Saying no is most likely a good thing.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'd say he probably lived a rich life. Money isn't everything.

he must have. he knew something that most probably do not. the most expensive car he ever owned was a Honda Civic 4 door. he was a surgeon, and a minister of government for 2 terms.