to rent or not to rent (a car)

N

New To DR

I'll be staying in Boca Chica and love the freedom of having a car. As long as I can be fully insured, I'm not worried about bad roads, vandalism or crazy drivers. Am I missing something? Can I be fully insured? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

E

ECH, M.D.

It is more than just being insured. If you have an injury accident you DO NOT LEAVE THE ISLAND until it is adjudicated and that might take some time. I know of a student that had to be delayed THREE MONTHS before they could leave. Remember, the rules are not the same as in the USA. And this is over and above the crazy drives, high accident rate, bad roads, etc. If you are going to be here a brief vacation time.....still strongly suggest taxis and leave the worry to them.

E

Eddy

ECH is right. If you're down here for a couple of weeks, it's safer and probably cheaper to negotiate a taxi. Work out a daily rate. You will find that it will be cheaper than "Rental, Insurance, Gas, etc." Also, your taxi driver will take you to places that you would probably never see and also, depending on your relationship with him, save you $$$ on a lot of other things. I have a car, full insurance, 19 years experience in the country, yet when I go out of Sosua/Santiago area, I take the bus and hire a cab.

T

Tony Castaneira

Don't listen to these guys.
Rent the car and have a blast. Take the road less traveled. explore.

E

Esthele

Re: Oops! Is it really so risky?

We wanted to rent a car for a couple of days (from SD to Samana via Constanza) but now we are a little bit disappointed.
We've driven a rental car in India, in Bali, in Tunisia and Marocco. Is it more risky in DR than in these countries?

E

Eddy

Nobody's getting the point here. Several people including yours truly have been driving in the DR for years and never even a fender bender. It's just that if you have a serious accident you could run into some problems. Other than that and the fact that 90% of the people on the road have no idea what they're doing, there are no risks. Go ahead and rent a vehicle, with decent insurance and happy motoring. Just remember to drive defensively.

H

Henry

It's like India, just take precautions - thats it!

Enjoy your stay!

Henry

D

DR1

Go for it....

Thousands of tourists every year rent cars and drive all over the DR.

It's not like driving in Europe or the USA, it's a little more hectic :)
I drive around the capital and have driving all over the DR many times and never had a problem.

I would go with a large well known rental company as they use late model cars and have the support if you need it.

I recommend National :)

Rob.

C

criss colon

Re: Go for it....

Crossing the street involves risk.We weigh the risk/benefit ratio,and cross the street,or go home!The age of the driver must be part of the equation,as well as where they usually drive.An "older "(you supply the #) from PawPaw Lake Michigan,may not be up to the task of surviving the trafic in the DR!After 40 driving at night with few ,if any ,street lights is an adventure.Is driving a rental car in the DR worth the risk?Everyone has do do the math for themselves.When my friends visit I provide them with the names of several good drivers who own decent cars or vans.You won,t see anything when you are driving yourself.Get a driver,or take the bus.I enjoy the bus ride from Sto.Dgo. to Puerto Plata via Santiago,very relaxing and interesting.Good luck.Criss

M

Matt Juba

I agree with those who advise caution. I have been to the island many, many times and have never felt the urge to drive. I have made a few posts in the past about public transportation and I feel there is one aspect of this question most are missing. If you take public transportation you will be mixing with the locals and, I feel, this gives you more of a true DR experience. I also agree that this gives you more opportunity to observe the sights.

S

Sarah

No one has yet mentioned the misleading and/or completely missing road signs. I've rented cars several times, but continue to get lost driving from Las Americas to the west and out of Santo Domingo, even though the rental company gives me a map!! True enough, I'm directionally impaired, but the DR surely could do a better job with signage.

A

a_andy

Excellent advice Chris, Dr. ECH, and others !!

Even though I've been coming here for 10 years, I wouldn't even consider it!!!

Anyway, you can probably hire driver and all for no more than you would pay just to rent (get a reliable one though - you won't find them in Boca Chica or along the Malecon).

I use a small motorcycle for basic transportation IN THE COUNTRYSIDE ONLY, and drive motor vehicles from the contry to small towns, the beach, etc. ONLY OCCASIONALLY.

I only drive inside Santiago if I can't find a way to avoid it, and I wouldn't drive in Santo Domingo UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.

I have a taxi driver friend with whom I try to arrange my trips.

There are risks that I haven't even seen mentioned here. For example, I know of NO DNOMINICAN who will drive on a lonely road at night - for fear of bandits. One seldom hears of actual such incidents, but the Dominicans think the risk is unacceptable.

M

Marc

I would have to say that for the trip you are talking about, the best bet is to rent a car, especially since you have experience driving in all of the countries you mentioned. Having said that, Eddy and ECH offer sound advice (as usual) in warning about the consequences of serious accidents. There is no innocent until proven guilty here, and you don't get fed a whole lot while you are in jail waiting for them to figure out who was in the wrong.

You will not be disappointed with the Constanza/Jarabacoa/Samana trip. It is fantastic. Make sure to get a rugged vehicle, 4x4 preferrably.

I have mentioned this before, but be careful about the insurance. They all offer it, but the deductibles can be very high, look out for that.

marc

P

PJT

Esthele, you may want to check with the rental company to see if they have any restrictions as to where you will be driving the rental car. The mountain road from the Duarte highway to Contanza is not the best in the world. It is paved and unpaved, has no safety barriers and steep dropoffs. If it rains heavy there is a good chance of mudslides. It is risky. The flip side is that there are great views and Constanza is charming and the air is cool. Regards, PJT

J

jim

this is all bull*DC*

i have been driving there for 12 yrs. and i have a car there,never had a problem,if you can drive in a big city in the US you can drive there,just pay attention...jim

J

jim

Re: this is all bull*DC*

to late now but, don't pay any attention to the *DC*

E

ECH, MD.

Re: I don't know what mean....?!

It means "don't click".......the reply/message is in the subject line.....nothing more. If you click on the line....you won't find any message.

S

Susanne

The DR has an appalling ratio of trafic accidents. However, if you are used to driving in India (Hell on Earth when it comes to traffic and DO NOT hit a cow!) the traffic patterns in the DR will not surprise you greatly.

BUT - most of you seem to miss the real point here: You could be the best driver on this planet, but if you DO get involved in a traffic accident (by no fault of your own), you risk pretrial detention. For a quite a long time, as ECH has explained.

We are used to driving in Turkey and in the madness of rush hour Paris. Turkey is nearly as bad as India, especially in Istanbul and Ankara. We still didn't drive in the DR. When you only have some weeks to enjoy your holiday, you want to relax. Driving in the DR is not relaxing.

Most of the time we took the bus. Metro and Caribe are very fast and comfortable. If you want the freedom of stopping when and where you please, go with the advice and spend the extra money on an experienced driver. We found a Dominican who had recently returned to the island after some 20 years as a taxi driver in New York! Great guy who spoke excellent English. Can't find his card now, but there will others like him around.

Enjoy your trip. Samana is stunning.

Regards,
Susanne