What to do in and around Sosua

gas

Jul 28, 2013
... in the inferno heat! I got here Sunday afternoon and would have hesitated on coming if I was God and able to predict the heat inferno Sosua seems to be stuck in. I'll be here another week. My girlfriend is joining me today and I'm looking for stuff to do other than the beach to keep us occupied. Don't get me wrong, I do like it here, I like the swimming pool my rented condo apartment offers, I found some gorgeous beaches as well as Playa Sosua, but it's too dang hot! I couldn't sit in the shade for more than an hour without feeling uncomfortably hot. I enjoy walking around wherever I go to get to know places and the people and it's been especially interesting in Sosua, from the putas to the offbeat characters to the beach vendors, etc. However, after 30 minutes, I'm totally drained from the heat.

I haven't gotten to Cabarate yet, I'm waiting for my girlfriend. Other than that, any suggestions? Oh, and restaurants?

Thanks.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
watersports? (surf/kite/wind)....its much cooler out on the water

I suspect you may find it a bit toasty for mountain biking but i rather like it, providing one leaves very early

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Use the pool where your staying! Or crack open another beer, its important to stay hydrated! Haha

drescape24

gas

Jul 28, 2013
I suspect you may find it a bit toasty for mountain biking but i rather like it, providing one leaves very early

I would go at the crack of dawn, I am a biker... is there a place to rent decent bikes? And where to go? The roads seem quite perilous to say the least.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
You did manage to pick the hottest week for us for this year with POP airport showing that it was 95 F with a feels like 104 F or more. Our pool is 86 F. Getting my morning chores done has me soaking wet so skipping my morning ride, it's just to hot and humid for the horses and me.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
I would go at the crack of dawn, I am a biker... is there a place to rent decent bikes? And where to go? The roads seem quite perilous to say the least.

Iguanamama in Cab will rent (mountain) bikes, though a little reluctantly. I get the sense they would rather sell you a tour.
Also there is a guy called Max in Cab who is a great tour guide and will take you out on one of his bikes, off-road.
Mtb much better than road cycling here.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Sorry Gas but even me, who loves summers, is almost dying in that heat.... The only thing I do in that inferno is stay put in front of the fan and read..... And even without moving, I'm dripping in sweat....

Good luck and stay near the beach, mostly windy and a little bit cooler.

Maco

Apr 6, 2008
You can always check out the Monkey Jungle and Zip line....Ocean World is cool...Shopping in Peurto Plata...Just to name a few things

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
Mt. Isabella del Torres

Go into Puerto Plata and take the cable car up the mountain. It is cool up there.

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Catch the guagua outside the Playero. For 25 Peso's it will take you to Cabarete. Have lunch on the beach. Watch the wind surfers, kite-boarders or have a go yourself. The wind is always blowing at Cabarete therefore it's much cooler on the beach. Who knows maybe you'll enjoy that and go back again.
Mack.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Catch the guagua outside the Playero. For 25 Peso's it will take you to Cabarete. Have lunch on the beach. Watch the wind surfers, kite-boarders or have a go yourself. The wind is always blowing at Cabarete therefore it's much cooler on the beach. Who knows maybe you'll enjoy that and go back again.
Mack.

There is no wind in September....no boarders, no surfers.

anthony

Mar 17, 2010
Thanx for the heads up on the weather . I will be in Puerto Plata on Monday for the week minus the wife

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
there can be wind in september....some years are better than others. It's just a much lower probability and so far less people plan kite vacations in this month.
But there may well be windy days

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
ANYONE can look at the weather to gain some information. It's just a click away right here on DR1. You can find temps and winds. Rain is difficult since the D.R. does not have rain radar and few weather stations have rain gauges to report it. I also try to include our Atlantic Ocean conditions for those interested in water activities in our area.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/weather-b...an-republic-weather-via-wunderground-com.html

I try to post every morning and sometimes more. All actual weather reports are welcome.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
What were those sail like objects I saw on the sea at Cabarete yesterday? They looked like windsurfers and kite boarders, but maybe it was my imagination!

Well thanks for the "dislike". Obviously you're not in the loop with off season for boarding and the winds. September and October have no winds to speak of. So what I was saying is if this guy is coming here expecting to kite or see some wicked boarding, then he's off season and will be disapointed.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
I like the site: MyFoxHurricanes for general weather satellite images. NOAA sources most of that, but Fox is real easy to see what's coming off Africa headed this way.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003