Golfing in the North Coast

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
I know that there are basically two nice courses. Playa Dorado and Playa Grande. Last time i was there they were still renovating Playa GrandeDoes anyone know if they allow the public to play on them? Or are they for resort guests only? Are there any special rates for residents? And discounts, etc??

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Only 9 holes open, the front. Anyone can still play. The resort(s) are not built yet. It's about $58, roughly RD$2,500 without Fedo card + caddy (required). See Fedogolf.com Greens are not in great shape right now while they renovate. Still beautiful.

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
Thanks for the intel. It's supposed to be renovated by March. I hope the continue to let the public play. $58 is not bad, but that is probably discounted during construction and will go up. I'm hoping to be able to continue to play when I move there. Do you know anything about playa dorado?

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
PaguyinDr, PM me for any info you may want about Playa Dorada.

Harley, what courses have you played to be so horrified?

Last edited:

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
Thank you for asking this question!! Growing up in the Golf Business the Courses here have horrified me!!!
I'm sure my G'pa who was a Golf Course Architect + Golf Pro is rolling over in his grave!!!

I guess you have never played Punta Espada, Dye Fore or Teeth of the dog yet?

Playa Dorado is not a bad place to play but a little spendy I think especially when they don't stay on top of the greens.

Stay the hell away from Los Mangos over in Costambar unless you like hitting onto an upside down saucer plate that will never stop on the green. I have some friends who have some certificates to go play over there for dirt cheap. I told them that for that price still I would rather just ride in the cart and drink beer instead of playing.

Santiago is nice course with a pretty neat layout with the elevation changes and the greens usually hold fairly well.

Playa Grande on the NC is a great place but I sure hope they try and improve the greens a little bit when they do the renovation.

Hey Tflea I tried looking at that fedogolf site but it is not showing up. The last time I played Playa Dorado I managed to sweet talk my way into the locals rate since the young lady behind the desk knows I am still waiting on my residency paperwork from the DR to come thru. I liked that rate a whole lot better to play there and the caddies you get there are a lot of fun to play with but sometimes I wonder if they have had to many cuba libres when it comes to reading the greens.

I have not played any, only seen the conditions and being used to high end private Golf Courses....I haven't bothered yet. I wanted to wait to get my clubs over here and ask around for a good course.
My G'pa was an honorary member at any Golf Club so i would go around with him wherever when i was young...

I haven't played for 5 years but being retired here i was really looking forward to playing some nice courses.

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
Best courses are over in La Romana and Bavaro/Punta Cana area for sure. But they will run you a boatload of cash to go play them. Me and my 15yr old played La Estancia in La Romana back in April/May and it was still $100 a person not counting the caddy and we where the only people on the course at all.

Jarabacoa is a great fun place to go play but its really quirky and there is no need to even take a driver on the course at all.

Hit me up if you get your sticks down here I am always looking for someone to go play with on my days off. Then we can rock some wife beaters on the golf course and show off our tattoos and be rebels.:classic:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Playa Grande greens will all be reconstructed - drainage, irrigation, contoured. and new grass.

As to progress, the initial nine under construction now is currently being grassed... all else seems finished.

A guess would be 6-7 months maturation for the grass.... so, April , may perhaps?

rayleeds

May 16, 2005
Leeds, United Kingdom
Hi Playa Dorada is ok...greens can be a little hit and miss but not too bad. I really like Santiago. Each hole is different with its own challenges..certainly not a "grip it and rip it" course. Not played Playa Grande for about 4 years so really looking forward to its renovation.

FredBlogs

Jun 18, 2009
Just in from playing at Playa Dorada.

Having played just after the recent international tournament the course was in pretty good condition but now it seems the administration are letting it go again.

Several of the greens, 1, 3, 11 have large areas of what appears to be dead or dying grass, I am no agronomist but similar conditions I have seen in the UK when the mowers have been set to short.

The greens, which are always inconsistent, are very slow and appear to have been cut by Ray Charles. They are hand cut and the person doing it seems to be unable to overlap the cuts so there are ridges of taller grass across the greens.

Lots of the bunkers have very little sand in, either that or the sand has been allowed to compress that the sand iron just bounces off the surface.

Being Friday the fairway mowers were out working mid morning but especially in front of the greens they leave large clumps of grass cuttings.

Maybe I am being super critical, and thank goodness I do not have to pay the $75 green fee that a visitor would, but that is the fee they ask so I am sure people paying that would want value for money, especially as you have to add on $25 cart fee, not obligatory, thank goodness again, $15 caddie fee, obligatory, who is really only a bag carrier, plus his tip and it is an expensive round of golf.

FredBlogs

Jun 18, 2009
Having said all of the above I will continue to play there, it is convenient for PP residents and I just love golf!

PaGuyinDr

Sep 2, 2013
So may i ask what you pay as a resident? Also, does the course get alot of use? I never played it, but i have driven by it several times and have never seen anyone on the course ( at least the holes that are visible from the road. From what you are saying, sounds like they are just not keeping the course up to snuff. Like everything else in the DR right now, perhaps they have been hit by the economic downturn and are trying to cut corners. I too just love golf, so I will be playing that course. Just wish they kept it in decent shape. Bunkers and greens should always be taken care of on a course that costs $75 to play.

FredBlogs

Jun 18, 2009
Residents rates, I believe, vary by who you know at the club management wise. My given rate is $35 at whatever time of day I want to play.
I misquoted the current rate, up till 31 Oct the rate is $60 till 4pm then $40. From Nov. 1st to April 30th 2014 the rates are $75 and $50 respectively. There are also multiplay packages you can purchase too. Look on their website, Playadoradagolf.com and you will see them all. All through the summer the course has been empty, certainly at the times I go, usually early morning, but according to my regular caddie it doesn't get a lot fuller the rest of the time. Play may increase a little when the 'snowbirds' start arriving next month.

Send me a PM if you need a partner/guide.

FB.

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Maybe I am being super critical, and thank goodness I do not have to pay the $75 green fee that a visitor would, but that is the fee they ask so I am sure people paying that would want value for money, especially as you have to add on $25 cart fee, not obligatory, thank goodness again, $15 caddie fee, obligatory, who is really only a bag carrier, plus his tip and it is an expensive round of golf.

Super Critical??? I found your post generous.
The condition is shocking, sadly.
Resident rates are $1500 Rd.
Cart Rate is $650 Rd.
Caddie is $650. (For single golfer or 2 players sharing).

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Come join us for the 6th annual North Coast Charity Golf Classic on November 16th at Playa Dorada.
If you haven't played in years past I think you'll find it a lot of fun and camaraderie and benefits non-profit, needy causes.
Details will be posted shortly on this message board and other media.

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
Come join us for the 6th annual North Coast Charity Golf Classic on November 16th at Playa Dorada.
If you haven't played in years past I think you'll find it a lot of fun and camaraderie and benefits non-profit, needy causes.
Details will be posted shortly on this message board and other media.

This was a blast last year even with the course super wet. I know I had a blast and made some great new friends and drank way too many cervezas in the process.

IamZon

Sep 22, 2012
so ... bottom line. Is golfing a worthy "attraction" for the DR? On the North Shore, or only in La Ramona / PC?