can't buy a vacuum in the DR -

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
We finally got our new home in Las Terrenas and as usual with any new construction, there is a lot of dust and debris scattered everywhere.
Went down to the EMB store where the polite owner; Bertrand, said he had no vacuums to sell. (the website had not been updated to reflect this)
Then we drove to Santo Domingo to Ferreteria Americana and of course, they had none in stock either.
Later we went to 1 or 2 other stores where they sold household appliances. Fat chance.
Oh, I know: "Just use a mop and bucket" and "a brush and dust pan."
Sorry, but that only goes so far.
Look's like I know what I'll be importing to the DR on my next trip back.:ermm:

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
If your still in SD, go to Serina, upstairs right across from the Fans towards the back of the store opposite of the automotive section, will see a stack of batteries on the floor...Your not going to find an upright, but a few small Jobie's, should do the trick...between 3,500 -5,000 pesos or so

Anthony

We finally got our new home in Las Terrenas and as usual with any new construction, there is a lot of dust and debris scattered everywhere.
Went down to the EMB store where the polite owner; Bertrand, said he had no vacuums to sell. (the website had not been updated to reflect this)
Then we drove to Santo Domingo to Ferreteria Americana and of course, they had none in stock either.
Later we went to 1 or 2 other stores where they sold household appliances. Fat chance.
Oh, I know: "Just use a mop and bucket" and "a brush and dust pan."
Sorry, but that only goes so far.
Look's like I know what I'll be importing to the DR on my next trip back.:ermm:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you can buy them but do not do it. i have seen vacuum cleaners in pricesmart, bellon and few more places in santiago. expensive like hell, 4-6k pesos. only once in my life i saw it in use, the team installing alarm in our place had it, for gathering dust from drilling. but i am pretty sure they are not exactly familiar with the concept that dirt needs to be removed from inside the vacuum cleaner as well. maybe they think it's a dust eating pet.

in any case, vacuum cleaner will be expensive to use and if you have power cuts then you should not run it on inversor anyway. no maid will be ever able to use it either. kinda pointless to buy it only for dusting off new construction site.

in any case, pricesmart, in the back.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Hola 2020, we've got a vacuum cleaner, a good one which we imported with us when we first came BUT it will only run on 220volts. Quite right as other posters pointed out it gets used very seldom here. If you'd like to borrow it PM me. We too are in LT.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I could swear I've seen shop vacs at Ochoa, PriceSmart & Americana...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
In Jumbo (SD) they sell them for 5000 pesos (which is not a lot of money).

We are looking for one as well. Dominican maids love to throw whole buckets of water over the floor, damaging all the (ikea style) 'wooden' furniture we have.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i say 5k pesos is a lot of money seeing that in the UK you can get a basic vacuum cleaner in argos for 18 pounds (under 30 dollars). in DR this option does not even exist. it's only those expensive, giant machines.

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
You can easily find ones from Plaza Lama, very nice models and effectives till 1500 W, marks like LG and some others too.

Apr 10, 2012
Las Terrenas
try buying a vacuum

I could swear I've seen shop vacs at Ochoa, PriceSmart & Americana...

Geez, they didn't even have a shop vac in Americana when we went these last 2 weeks.

Got that stare from all the various store employees like I was on a drugs asking where they sold vacuums.

We were thinking of a canister vacuum with a nozzle to get into places and corners of a home (closets, kitchen cabinets, window sills, etc).

One thing for sure, once we have a vacuum, we won't let the cleaning lady get near it. Heard all sorts of stories on how they end up breaking them if you let them use it!

21yearsinDR

May 29, 2013
Well, I actually bought a very good Hoover Vacuum cleaner at Plaza Lama years back. It came with several different nozzles. They had different models and also some very modern and nice ones.. The only problem is, that they don?t sell any accessories like a longer hose and the bags.
I bought an extra long hose and bags at Ebay - shipped to my business mail without problems.
The vacuum cleaner is still working after approximately 7 - 8 years, but off course my maid is not touching it - he he he..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Well, I actually bought a very good Hoover Vacuum cleaner at Plaza Lama years back. It came with several different nozzles. They had different models and also some very modern and nice ones.. The only problem is, that they don’t sell any accessories like a longer hose and the bags.
I bought an extra long hose and bags at Ebay - shipped to my business mail without problems.
The vacuum cleaner is still working after approximately 7 - 8 years, but off course my maid is not touching it - he he he..

that's why it still works. smart man (or lady)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what i would really want is something tiny and simple, like aforementioned cheap hoover from argos:

2yzk3de.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
that would not make sense. the charm of this 30 dollar hoover is the price. add shipping and EPS charges and it will come to a 100.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
that would not make sense. the charm of this 30 dollar hoover is the price. add shipping and EPS charges and it will come to a 100.

I would NOT use EPS. That said, if you cannot get what you want locally, what choice do you have if you really want it?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i said "i would really want" not "i really want". hoover is not that important to me. i just wish i had a choice and then i would happily buy the cheap one :(

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Don't Do It!!!!!
I bought some really nice "Up Right Vacs" "Eureka" brand I Believe, to use in CEDIMAT hospital.
"dv" is Sooooooooooooo right, Dominicans have NO IDEA how to use them, on what surfaces, how to empty them, and especially, How To Clean Them!!!!!
I'll give them a "Hint"!!!!!!
It's not with a garden hose, while they are running!!!!!
There actually are a few things that they do right here, one is cleaning a marble/tile/cement/stone floor!
"Sweep", throw a bucket of water with "Cloro", scrub with broom, rinse, mop up water,mop until almost dry, mop with water with "Mistolin"????? Let air dry.
You can now perform Open Heart Surgery on the floor!!!!!!
This method really cleans floors, but ruins furniture, wood,rugs, and any other objects sitting on the floor.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC