extend tourist card

alaska1986

I flew into puerto plata august 25th and from what ive read the tourist card is good for 30 days. initially i didnt think id be here this long and the 30 days is up where do i goto extend duration of the tourist card i dont yet know where i am flying out of but iam in santiago for the moment

Apr 13, 2011
Don't worry about it until you are ready to fly out - then when you go to the airport that day to fly, you will just pay an overstay fee. It is not that expensive.

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
Don't worry about it until you are ready to fly out - then when you go to the airport that day to fly, you will just pay an overstay fee. It is not that expensive.

here the list what to pay for overstay (Direccion General de Migracion)

B - IMPUESTOS POR ESTADIA PARA RESIDENCIA PROVISIONAL O TARJETA DE TURISTA
VENTANILLA EXTRANJERIA:
025 Menor de 30 dias Hasta 3 meses 800.00 -
026 Mayor de 3 mese Hasta 9 meses 1,000.00 -
027 Mayor de 9 meses Hasta 1 a?o 2,500.00 -
028 Mayor de 1 a?o Hasta 1 a?o y 6 meses 4,000.00 -
029 Mayor de 1 a?o y medio Hasta 2 a?os 5,000.00 -
030 Mayor de 2 a?os Hasta 2 a?os y 6 meses 6,500.00 -
031 Mayor de 2 a?os y medio Hasta 3 a?os 9,000.00 -
032 Mayor de 3 a?os Hasta 5 a?os 14,000.00 -
033 Mayor de 5 a?os Hasta 7 a?os 17,000.00 -
034 Mayor de 7 a?os en adelante por c/ a?o adicional 500.00

-

Apr 13, 2011
To the OP - the only thing to be concerned about is if you are driving, because driving using your foreign drivers license is not valid after the 30 days. Other than that - just wait and pay the overstay fee.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
To the OP - the only thing to be concerned about is if you are driving, because driving using your foreign drivers license is not valid after the 30 days. Other than that - just wait and pay the overstay fee.

Any travel insurance probably won't be valid either...

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I think you can drive on a foreign driver's license for up to 90 days from your day of entry. I was detained three weeks ago by AHMET 33 days after entry (13 hours before my scheduled departure), because the rental car company rented me a car which wasn't legally registered for the entire period of the rental contract. They impounded the car and the rental car company had to deliver a new one to the impound lot and presumably bail out the first car the next day, but AHMET had no problem with my license even though they knew I arrived in the country more than 30 days ago.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
where are these laws printed? where can i see them and read them

If you are after the license invalidity law I have no idea, I usually get International Driving Permit from UK which is valid for a year and most countries accept it as valid for that period. But only if you are in the country based on a valid visa and permit (otherwise all bets are off).

The issue with travel insurance is the same. The problem is, at least to me, it is not clear if the overstaying, that just about everyone in DR does after the one month tourist visa, is really "illegal" or not.

The word "illegal" is a bit hard to use because I have never heard anyone being arrested for overstaying the one month - while in some countries (like Thailand or some other Asian countries), overstaying your visa is a serious offence and you could get arrested and deported (or go to jail if it is by more than a few days).

Interestingly the word "Impuestos" is used in the link provided, to me that is like a "Tax/Fee" rather than a "Fine" (correct me if I'm wrong), so perhaps it can be disputed that overstaying is not really "illegal" but conditional to paying a fee - in that case we are OK - I am no lawyer but an expert can perhaps one day clear up this question once and for all !

This seems to me a tricky subject and not many people want to talk about ! (Most people staying in DR over a month are in the same boat unless they have proper residency or a proper extended visa.)

K

kavakid

Pic of Fee schedule at immigration

This is a pic taken of the fee schedule as posted at Punta Cana airport. If they overcharge you point it out and they will back down.

Photo1944.jpg

What I love is how each additional year is only $13.00 after the first 7 years. So if you stayed another 7 years it would add 91 dollars to the fee.

alaska1986

ended up leaving from Las Americas and the officer at the custom desk saw i had been there 50 days or so and said gave me $20 bucks and ill let you go, i had 700 pesos on me and gave him that, judging by the tone in which he said it (very quiet) and the fact that he looked around after taking it I'm certain he pocketed the money lol

I believe you can drive up to 90 days after entering the country legally with a foreign drivers license.
I doubt it is a big deal if you drive over that.
I lost my license within the first few months and drove without one for at least 5 months. Whenever I was pulled over I just showed my Nexus Card and Amet or Policia never said anything.
MANY people drive around without a license! Sure you could get caught and something could happen but I wouldn't worry about it.

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
I seem to remember a big hooh hah about a year ago regarding a more strict enforcement of this type of behavior. Did anything ever come of that?