Dengue - Dengue & more Dengue

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
More and more cases have been reported in the Sosua POP areas. Perhaps our municipal authorities should address this problem before worrying about Sosua's "Image".

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
More and more cases have been reported in the Sosua POP areas. Perhaps our municipal authorities should address this problem before worrying about Sosua's "Image".

Eddy? Can you tell us your source of information please? Thanks.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Dengue is not really a problem of the authorities. Mosquitoes don't listen to what authorities say.
Dengue is a problem of the population. Enough information campaigns have been out there, paid for by the authorities. People won't listen. So be it. Natural evolution, I guess.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Dengue is not really a problem of the authorities. Mosquitoes don't listen to what authorities say.
Dengue is a problem of the population. Enough information campaigns have been out there, paid for by the authorities. People won't listen. So be it. Natural evolution, I guess.
Yea, the flooding of the streets, improper or no drainange, the swamp land in the middle of town, that's caused by the people. OK if you say so ;)

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Yea, the flooding of the streets, improper or no drainange, the swamp land in the middle of town, that's caused by the people. OK if you say so ;)

It is. Every year there are TV and radio campaigns telling people not to throw trash on the streets, as that will clog the drainage. People don't listen. They tell them to use chlorine in the water tanks, people don't do it. They tell them to remove all kind of uncovered water reservoirs, people couldn't care less. Anyway, mosquitoes usually reproduce in places where water is still. A puddle of water in the middle of the street is hardly still, and even if mosquitoes chose that place to reproduce it wouldn't amount to much. The real problem lies within people's houses and back yards, so it's the people's responsibility. They have been given the info. It's up to them now. Of course it's easier to say "no es mi culpa" and blame the governments....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i agree with castle on this. people here are unable to think about the consequences of their actions. poor infrastructure is one thing but simple stupidity is what is responsible for many dominican issues.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
It is. Every year there are TV and radio campaigns telling people not to throw trash on the streets, as that will clog the drainage. People don't listen. They tell them to use chlorine in the water tanks, people don't do it. They tell them to remove all kind of uncovered water reservoirs, people couldn't care less. Anyway, mosquitoes usually reproduce in places where water is still. A puddle of water in the middle of the street is hardly still, and even if mosquitoes chose that place to reproduce it wouldn't amount to much. The real problem lies within people's houses and back yards, so it's the people's responsibility. They have been given the info. It's up to them now. Of course it's easier to say "no es mi culpa" and blame the governments....

I agree. They say these mosquitoes don't fly far. An old tire in the yard with rain water in it, for example, is more likely to cause dengue in the house than water slow to drain from a distant street (which is not a likely location for mosquito breeding in any case) .

Eddy, maybe the moto conchos are to blame.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
PUERTO PLATA. – The public hospital Ricardo Limardo pediatric emergency in Puerto Plata is crowded with children and adolescents who suffer from symptoms of dengue disease, which is why they had to be admitted to the health center.

Parents of hospitalized infants explained to the reporter that their offspring for two days have had very high fever, besides headaches and muscle pain, while some cases report vomiting and watery stools (diarrhea).

The same situation is observed in private clinics of Puerto Plata, where according to information provided by a source of full credit, since the beginning of the current week has been given to multiple children and adolescents who have been diagnosed with dengue.

Patients mostly minors, tropical asthmatics got infected from the bite of the Aedes aegypti, have symptoms of the condition for which they are admitted immediately to the health center in PP jurisdiction to avoid regretful consequences.

Among the areas of Puerto Plata from which most children and adolescents affected by dengue are communities Mu?oz, The Geneva Arzeno, Nuevo Renacer (Sewer), The Camberos, where residents have reported the existence a plague of mosquitoes that are presumed to be the cause of this terrible disease.

Due to this situation, residents of Puerto Plata are calling for urgent intervention by the authorities of the Ministry of Health to undertake a day of fumigation to kill these flying insects transmitting dengue virus.

Source: Puerto Plata Digital

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I agree. They say these mosquitoes don't fly far. An old tire in the yard with rain water in it, for example, is more likely to cause dengue in the house than water slow to drain from a distant street (which is not a likely location for mosquito breeding in any case) .

Eddy, maybe the moto conchos are to blame.

thanks, Ken, for making that critical point. mosquitos do not fly far. if you live in Cofresi, you are not going to get bitten by some critter that just came in from Lake Enriquillo. so, if people took care of their immediacte surroundings, the incidence would be exponentially less. that is not to say that if you go to Central Park in POP you wont get bitten by some skeeter that lives behind Helados Bon, but, heck, nothing is foolproof.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
HI DV8 , Eddy ,
Perhaps people should refer to this thread as well for info on Dengue. DV8 you contributed a great deal to this discussion. http://www.dr1.com/forums/north-coast/137184-fighting-dengue-sosua.html

I too have a close friend just come out of CMC after two days with Dengue. My esposa was also in for three days in late August with Dengue!

The reports from there (CMC) is that it is full , Dengue patients filling up the majority of rooms.

La Mulata has had a number of cases, Sosua has had lots of cases and the Canadian Woman died had Dengue.

Yes Ringo there is an Epidemic in Sosua, Cabarete, and Puerto Plata -this come from some of the doctors involved.

On the other thread Ringo you questioned whether it was an epidemic - well it is ! Why it is not being reported I dont know but people all around us have fallen ill with it in the expatriate community.

Take heed as to how it spreads - DV8 gave a good description on the other thread.
Firstly spray for mosquitoes, second stop them breeding by cleaning green pools, thirdly dont swagger around with flu like symptons that could be Dengue ( Tambo and Pauleast )

This disease is ranked second to Malaria !! So dont fool with it!

Olly and the Team

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Epidemiologist don't consider seasonal dengue as an epidemic, but as a endemic disease. That is because it reappears every year when the rain starts and disappear when the rain stops. Causes are perfectly known, as are the measures that population needs to take to stop its propagation. Number of cases are usually very well predicted each year, given the amount of rain that falls into each region. Only when the number of cases exceeds a fixed % of what is expected (which it rarely does) is it declared an epidemic.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Epidemiologist don't consider seasonal dengue as an epidemic, but as a endemic disease. That is because it reappears every year when the rain starts and disappear when the rain stops. Causes are perfectly known, as are the measures that population needs to take to stop its propagation. Number of cases are usually very well predicted each year, given the amount of rain that falls into each region. Only when the number of cases exceeds a fixed % of what is expected (which it rarely does) is it declared an epidemic.

Castle, do you know if there are mosquito eradication teams in the DR?

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Castle, It has been dry now for two months with much lower rainfall than usual. Last year it was very wet in August! There must be another aspect to the current situation. Also if you read the press it is being said that cases are way above last year for the time of year.

Olly and the Team

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Castle, do you know if there are mosquito eradication teams in the DR?

There are mosquito control squads. I think that to talk about mosquito eradication in a tropical country is a bit too optimistic, IMO. But there are regular fumigation programs during the rainy season, when mosquito traps show mosquitoes represent a threat. It is not enough, of course, and I've been said the psychological effects of seeing a truck fumigating the streets sometimes makes things worse, as people think they don't have to do anything about it.
I'm no expert. I just happened to have done some data processing for the MSP in the past and I've seen how hard they work at it.