who is better? La Sirena, Playero, Janet's, etc...for food?

dalark

Aug 5, 2013
It seems to me one store is better for some things...and another store better at other things. Is one truly less expensive than another? Which stores do you think have the best prices?....the best "deals"?...for food....

what has been you experience?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I would guess Janets is cheaper on the whole, but like anywhere in the world you have to shop around for bargains

dalark

Aug 5, 2013
Where do you all shop for the stuff you need? Is it primarily at one store, ala La Sirena, or go to many stores or colmados for your needs?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Janet's is less expensive when they have what you want. Then I would say La Sirena is next, but with more selection and Playero is generally the most expensive with a selection in between Janet's and La Sirena.

In the DR, it is rare to find everything you need in one store, rare to even find everything you need anywhere in all of the stores combined on the island.

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
Janet is maybe cheaper but try to get descent meat or vegatables in janet not possible , then playero in a litle bit more expensive but has good meat and good vegetables. La sirena is cheaper as janet i believe* , good store but less european stuff then in the other 2 !

*if puerto plata one has same prices as in santiago.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Best prices and food choices la Sirena is choice number 1. Jose Luis number 2 (prices not food choice), Janets 3 and a distant 4th is Playero (most expensive by far, fair food choice).
If la Sirena is really being built in Sosua then Playero will either have to change their ways or fade into the sunset.

Bob K

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
For all your daily needs and not having to drive out of Sosua, you can't beat Playero. The only reason we go to La Sirena is for parmasean cheese cause it's cheaper. The salad dressing used to be cheaper at La Sirena but not anymore....bread, flour, pancake mix, canned goods are all more expensive at La Sirena...booze is the same price almost everywhere these days. If you're talking non-food items, then La Sirena is cheaper than Playero by quite a bit. As for Janet's, it was always a waste of time going there as we could never do a complete order.

Jan 22, 2010
Playero is way overpriced....Jose Luis in POP has best prices but is bit limited compared to La Sirena...
a simple example what ex pats sometimes look for on this forum a 12oz Canada Dry in Playero 36 pesos but Jose Luis 26 pesos....
T.E.