Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Amet Ticket Question/Advice Sosua

A friend of mine who owns a house here, (in advance of his retirement), is staying in Sosua for a 2 week vacation. He returns to the U.S this Monday.
    So, last night he is driving from Playa Chiquita via Pedro Clisante to the Banco Santa Cruz ATM, unaware the street is now One-Way. He is flagged down by an AMET Officer outside Super Super and explains two months ago the street was 2 way. The traffic cop was fine, full of smiles yet still issued him a ticket (he's currently got a rental car) that states he went the wrong way up a one-way street but there is no fine or information on the ticket saying he has to report/pay a fine...
    Does anyone know if this is standard proceedure? I think there HAS to be a fine to pay.
    Implications???

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Im sure you will get a few answers, but 2 years ago mi esposo got a ticket for no seatbelt. He was driving a rental car,
    owns our home there also , etc, same type of thing. He ripped up the ticket as we drove off and threw it out the window.
    He has been back about 6x since then, rented a car etc etc, and nothing has ever become of it.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

They are going to be attaching those ticket to dgii,gov.do site for licence plate renewals and such in the near future ,since there are millions of fines on the books . I would not want my credit card anywhere near a rental when this happens

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

so what is the problem? He broke the law... It is clearly marked as a one way street... so let him pay the fine....

BelgianK

5. Likes msmfgf, Bred liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe in 30 years they will have a computerized system of some sort. Until then I'll be comfortable being in the 97% majority of those who throw out the ticket immediately after receiving it and not bothering...

7. Likes curlando liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belgiank View Post
    so what is the problem? He broke the law... It is clearly marked as a one way street... so let him pay the fine....

BelgianK
    There is no fine amount on the ticket nor information of where to attend/pay a fine. It just says he drove the wrong way up the street.
    I believe he has to pay something.... but, there is ZERO information on the ticket!

9. Likes frank12, Harleysrock liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

DGII is more on to of it than some may think. They have a new system from Chile, sent people to train there, and are looking for every peso from A to Z. Closing even small businesses that don't comply. Their sophistication of late is surprising. And they're just starting. It's not years away, it's already happening.
    Anytime anyone swipes their credit card through a "verifone" machine in this country now, according to my tax expert woman we hired, the business is charged 2% that goes straight to the DGII's account, not stopping at GO. And depending on the amount of business one does with credit cards, DGII estimates the businesses' sales for the month and for the year. If what the business reports don't jibe with the credit card use, info they already have accounted for, they do an adjustment and the business is on the hook to prove them wrong. I'm livin it as we speak. Interest, fines and sur-charges are also applied. There is of course a lot of "informal" business here, and many get away with it, but the risk is getting bigger every day.

11. Likes windeguy liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

so in that case he got a warning...
    throw the fine in the garbage

BelgianK

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

DR1 Daily News - Friday, 20 September 2013

AMET fines to be linked to DGII
    Minister of the Presidency Gustavo Montalvo has announced the installation of an automatic system that will connect the services of the AMET with the DGII and Customs fine systems to make them more effective. Montalvo said that this measure would make it easier to feed the database to establish and effectively collect the traffic fines. At present, hundreds of thousands of people have been fined for traffic violations, but have not bothered to pay them.

Montalvo said that interconnecting the systems is part of the new National Comprehensive Safety Plan. The measure also seeks to reduce the number of accidents caused by reckless drivers, many of who have already accumulated several fines.

Montalvo lamented the fact that the DR is currently the country with the second highest number of traffic accidents per capita in the world, according to the World Health Organization. So far this year, 1,306 people have been killed in traffic accidents.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

However to get your "ticket" information to DGII system one would have to have a computer to enter the data into. AMET in Sosua has NO computer at its office as of a few months ago I doubt this has changed.

Bob K

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast