Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Watchy" average pay

We have recently moved onto a 7-acre property that already has a watchman. He and his family of 4 have a house just built, with plumbing, tenacity, inverter, etc. They use our land to graze their cow, donkeys, and chickens, plus get fruit and veggies from the well planted lot. We also pay their electric and cable. And we pay them a monthly wage. In exchange they keep us safe, walk the property daily, deliver us fruit and veggies, and occasionally a few eggs from their chickens. So aside from the home, electric, and land use, what would an appropriate monthly wage be? I ask because we do not like them, but have been told we are getting a great deal.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Watch out for watchmen lots of tricks. you dont like them ? Then dont pay them for nothing. sounds like a weird situation for you guys.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont understand...
    . What do you mean by we dont like them?
    . Why do you move to a place when there is a family that you dislike?
    . As there is a watchman from before, I suppose he was paid already. That should give you an idea
    . How comes these details were not fixed from scratch, I mean before moving to the property
    . If you get them to move, as they are locals, it might create a difficult situation in terms of safety namely

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a bit of a weird situation. We don't like that they have people over to visit and on the property all the time (which he has been told is not ok), and we don't like that they use the land for their own little hobby farm (which we are also working on). These details already existed before we moved, we just weren't fully aware of them, and didn't know how much they would bug us. He does have an established pay right now, but we have been told by one person that to hire a different watchman would be a lot more. Just trying to get some other opinions or point of reference for typical pay as we sort through this reality. And he has many relatives in town, definitely another huge consideration with us.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Difficult situation. Unless u live in a castle, renting land, paying bills, using ure land to graze and grow...... maybe the watchman should be paying u a salary.......

When I get someone to keep an eye on my house when I m abroad, he works nights only, has a room in the outhouse, feeds the dogs, waters garden ( but not the plantations), and a couple of odd jobs( gas bottle filling, car wash from time to time....). He than goes home in the morning when the house keeper ( someone u trust, my sobrina in this case) who cares after the inside of house and animals and bills and stuff.
    The watchy does NOT have keys tovactual house only premises.
    Anyway they both get a salary of 8000 pesos, which doesnt seem a lot to me but seems to satisfy them ( there again quality of dr campo workforce is dodgy).
    They are fed once a day each ( salami, rice, platano, chicken.......) so like 200 pesos a day more.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

the legal minimum wage for a watchman is about RD$7,500 per month

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Saw ure new post. Be subtle about it, increase work load. Propose a decent salary to him but than explain that u deduct rent and bills from it.
    Pretend to be bankrupt and overwhelmed with credits and loans, explain ure not able to afford a watchy anymore, and offer to sell them the piece of land where their house is( but just to expansive for them to afford). U will see where that leads.....

Or do like the last owners, sell the house to another unexpecting acquirer, who will inhereit ure problem... dominican way.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me understand better - their house is on your property? You own it?

Admin
    DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice and numbers! We currently rent the property (7 acres, Watchy and guest house, and pool), which is actually a licensed business that is no longer functioning. We have a rent to own purchase agreement of sorts. We took on the staff contracts (gardeners, housekeeper, Watchy) when we moved here, mostly to make our transition easier. We will be reevaluating contracts after the first of the year (staff know this), once we are fully settled and have had a bit to evaluate what's really needed and what's not.

With a full room and board ride, plus all his other perks, AND a salary of $4000/month our Watchy seems to be getting a good deal, which is what we thought. Again, thanks for throwing me out a few numbers, and Malko good advice on phasing him out! For now we are sitting back and watching, time will tell.

Oh, and in response to someones post, he doesn't have keys to our house at all, but the only things that lock are the bedrooms. The rest of the house is open air. Which has been interesting the last few weeks with the heat and us coming from northern US

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You made a major mistake by keeping the staff without having them "liquidated" by the previous owner/ employer.
    Now you are responsible for all eventually still owed benifits...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast