How can I keep my home theater speakers from being decorative objects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I got them from Pricesmart and they did work fine when I lived in Gurabo. They do not work in my current house, when they did in the last place with the SAME inverter! If I try to use them all I get is a BLAZZZZZZZZZZ noise. I had the electrician friend of my brother in law over once but he could not figure out how to solve the problem. I don't know how much experience he had with those things. Maybe I should see if someone from Electronica de Santiago can fix the problem? Is there a noise filter for these types of systems?

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Did you try them with the inverter down/off?? I have some issues with my inverter...The heating pad does not work with it, sometimes use it for my birds..So, its most likely a resistor telling it no, not enough power..For example, when a portable radio sounds funky sound wise, the batteries are low right?? Say yes...So, sounds (no pun intended) that there may be a current issue with your electricity or whoever installed it, may have done a boo boo...Check all connections, make sure they are tight etc or have the guy come back and check it..If it worked before, why not now..Also, is it the same gauge wiring?

I had an amp issue back in the day in my car, changed over to a 6 gauge cable coming from the battery, fixed it,..was not enough power for the demand being restricted and it would blow the inline fuse...So, be sure the cable used is what you need too...What do you have?? any specs on it?? and are you sure you hooked it up right as well?? Maybe check on your end first?? If using a DVD and other things, try any speaker directly to rule out speaker issues..

Hope this helps some..

ANthony

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I got them from Pricesmart and they did work fine when I lived in Gurabo. They do not work in my current house, when they did in the last place with the SAME inverter! If I try to use them all I get is a BLAZZZZZZZZZZ noise. I had the electrician friend of my brother in law over once but he could not figure out how to solve the problem. I don't know how much experience he had with those things. Maybe I should see if someone from Electronica de Santiago can fix the problem? Is there a noise filter for these types of systems?

are they active speakers, or passive? if they are passive, the sound you describe is being produced by one of two things

1...source

2..amplification.

if they are active, it is the same, only that the problem is coming from the enclosure.

it has nothing to do with current issues. your ac mains provides ac voltage , which goes through a rectifier to be converted to dc, which is then stored in a capacitor bank. i am willing to take bets that there is a ground plane issue here.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
a lot of so called electricians in the DR do not properly ground the third prong in the ac socket. the house you lived in before probably had a good ground, but this new house does not. so what you have is a positive and a return, but no ground. get an electrician to see to it that you have a proper earth connection. grounding is critical to audio fidelity..absolutely critical. without it, you get HUM.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
want to get fancy? get a 14 inch length of copper pipe, and drive it into the ground. solder on 17 feet 4 inches of 18 gauge solid core wire. connect that to the ground screw of the socket. voila; no more hum issues, unless the ground plane in the devices have a problem.

Trainman33

Bronze
Dec 11, 2009
I should add my Logitech computer speakers work correctly in the same room but in a different outlet. There is no problem with the TV sound either. How can I tell if the home theater speakers are passive or active?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I should add my Logitech computer speakers work correctly in the same room but in a different outlet. There is no problem with the TV sound either. How can I tell if the home theater speakers are passive or active?

it really does not matter if they are active or passive. the passive speaker usually is just an enclosure with the drivers. the active is an enclosure with a plate amp built in. either way, the issues are the same. have you tried the equipment on a different outlet?

May 29, 2006
I agree it's prob a ground issue. If you can find one of these(they run about $10 in the US), they can check to see if you have a wiring issue:

QVTIMG20050902111828578.jpg

Also try disconnecting one of the speakers. You might have wired it in differently.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I agree it's prob a ground issue. If you can find one of these(they run about $10 in the US), they can check to see if you have a wiring issue:

QVTIMG20050902111828578.jpg

Also try disconnecting one of the speakers. You might have wired it in differently.

that would screw up the phase, but it would not hum..

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Bam! True, they don't use grounds here from what I ever saw or felt!! wet feet, touch my fridge, better than coffee..

Hahaha That's funny!
I would also have a look at the outlets to make sure they are wired correctly and especially the common wire is connected.

drescape24

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
it really does not matter if they are active or passive. the passive speaker usually is just an enclosure with the drivers. the active is an enclosure with a plate amp built in. either way, the issues are the same. have you tried the equipment on a different outlet?
The outlets in my media room are not grounded. Will my Bose Home Theater system have this problem? It's powered, but plugged into a gang power conditioner.

TV sound is fine.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The outlets in my media room are not grounded. Will my Bose Home Theater system have this problem? It's powered, but plugged into a gang power conditioner.

TV sound is fine.

it all depends on the grounding system inside the equipment. grounding is done differently in different equipment. therefore, if you have a three prong plug, and you plug it into a three prong socket, you could have problems if the ground is not tied to earth. if you plug a two prong plug into a three prong socket, you will have no problem, because the grounding inside the equipment is designed to take care of that. actually, i am not sure how your conditioner works; the PS Audio actually creates its own electricity.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
it all depends on the grounding system inside the equipment. grounding is done differently in different equipment. therefore, if you have a three prong plug, and you plug it into a three prong socket, you could have problems if the ground is not tied to earth. if you plug a two prong plug into a three prong socket, you will have no problem, because the grounding inside the equipment is designed to take care of that. actually, i am not sure how your conditioner works; the PS Audio actually creates its own electricity.
The power conditioner is three prongs, but the plug has only two wires going to it, and there is no copper conductor to the plug box, therefore no wire to the plug itself.. The equipment is three prongs into the power conditioner gang plug.

The house is grounded, however.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The power conditioner is three prongs, but the plug has only two wires going to it, and there is no copper conductor to the plug box, therefore no wire to the plug itself.. The equipment is three prongs into the power conditioner gang plug.

The house is grounded, however.

you should have no audible problems. there might be slight differences in how the audio turns out, like soundstage and imaging, but nothing that will bother you.

Status
Not open for further replies.