recommended mechanic in santo domingo?

shorts

Dec 3, 2012
can anyone recommend a good and honest mechanic to inspect vehicles for me in santo domingo ?

I'm looking to buy a car this week but don't know a thing about what's under the hood. If any dr1ers are willing that would be great, otherwise I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Yes, call Rubin's auto repair at 809-531-8120..They are on Nunez right across from the gas station and just up a bit from National Supermarket, same side as the Hospital...Rubin speaks English, just talk slow if you don't speak Spanish..However, I don't think he is open today, but try..

Anthony

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
can anyone recommend a good and honest mechanic to inspect vehicles for me in santo domingo ?

I'm looking to buy a car this week but don't know a thing about what's under the hood. If any dr1ers are willing that would be great, otherwise I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks

buying a car is more than what is under the hood. you have to know what condition the body is in, too. you need to know if it had been wrecked before. you need to know if the car's panels have 100 pounds of putty each. you need to look at gaps, lines, unibody rails, and many other things. just looking under the hood will tell you precious little. a mechanic is not of very much use if all he does is engines and things like brakes.

messineymar2014

Sep 28, 2013

Thanks

Buying a used car in the DR, is an absolute nightmare. Last year, I helped my sister in law with her car shopping.

We used carfax to identify cars that were in accidents stateside. The results were depressing. Out of 32 Toyota Camrys that I checked, 28 were involved in a prior accident and had the odometer rolled back.

Be careful, and good luck!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Buying a used car in the DR, is an absolute nightmare. Last year, I helped my sister in law with her car shopping.

We used carfax to identify cars that were in accidents stateside. The results were depressing. Out of 32 Toyota Camrys that I checked, 28 were involved in a prior accident and had the odometer rolled back.

Be careful, and good luck!!

exactly my sentiments. a good Dominican mechanic is about as useless as teats on a bull when it comes to helping you buy a used car. the odometer rollbacks, etc, are what really gets you, and no mechanic probably ever heard of carfax

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
A good mechanic is still useful as one of the data points in the purchasing process. I brought 3 pre-selected cars to my mechanic and he helped me choose one with fewest problems. In particular one of the cars had some nasty transmission problems that were likely to translate into thousands of dollars pretty quickly, I wouldn't have detected that. Carfax is a must for US-imported cars, and you can see the last recorded mileage before it left the US.