Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting Freaked Out

I lived in DR for a long while. I left in 2006 and have not been back since. I am planning to come back on vacation with some friends in October.

What has me freaked out is all the posts about pick-up in crime. Especially upsetting was the thread about the couple who were attacked in their home in La Mulata.

I used to work for Century 21 Juan Perdomo and I remember showing homes in there, many of which were new and it was suposedley a safe place (though I thought it was kind of isolated in between Sosua and Cabarete).

I used to go out ALOT in Cabarete and Sosua and at all hours of the night. I never had a single problem or instance where I feared for my safety. That was one reason that I loved that part of DR so much - I felt so safe.

I mean I was bribed but the policia nacional a couple of times, had a couple bad run in's with the Amet and someone once tried to steal my pasola (not with me anywhere near it) - but no instances where I felt that my person was in jeapordy or that anyone was out to cause me any harm.

Have things changed that much? Those who live in Cabarete/Sosua and in-between - do you see a stark contrast between how it was 2002-2006 to how it is now? It is still safe to go out to the bars at night and stagger home at all hours?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

it was probably never that safe you were just lucky, most people are lucky in the main

3. Likes Uzin liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

It's fine as long as you follow the same
    Rules of safety and common sense in any big city or tourist areas etc...

Crime happens everywhere!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

for a little crime that happens in a small place cant be that bad. if you live in a house with 5 people one might try to steal from you or may be not but crime happens. people rob the weak and i walked in the worse areas and nothing happened. i havent heard a thread of a member getting dragged down the street and robbed so i would bet that you would be ok hope every body would be alright

edited because or my alcohol use
    Last edited by bizzyboneizo; 09-29-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I was kind and respectful to everyone. I am not wealthy and don't have many nice things. Drove a pasola and made friends with everyone I met in both towns - As I said never a problem and there was always someone willing to help me out if needed (mostly Dominicans). I didn't feel lucky - I felt like it was the norm. That's what's freaking me out. I lived in a condo near Caribe Campo and I read that a Canadian was murdered in there a couple of years ago.

I remember the police being over the top and many times late at night after the discos, them taking people (men and women) to the jail just for being outside. Onetime they took my friend and we went to the police station to help him and there were like 30 boys (maybe from 20-25 years old) all taking off belts and shoe laces to spend the night. Then the next morning, everyone sent home.

Again though - I had no experience with Dominicans trying to harm me and never felt unsafe at all. I have even broken down on the highway on the pasola between POP and Sosua and always the next passer by push me with their foot to the next town to fix whatever the problem was (usually the damn bohia).

There were hookers when I used to live there but again -- a law closing in the bars? The streets being overrun with hookers? Pimps? Robberies all over the place?

Someone tell me is this true or exaggerated?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I just spent two months in Cabarete. I stayed at Cita del Sol. No robberies anywhere that I heard about. Seemed to be safe to me. I was there in 2006 as well and conditions seem the same. What has changed is more drugs which means more violent crimes. However, the violence is between the drug guys and not the rest of the population. Don't get caught in the crossfire I guess.

Of interest, I spoke to many Dominicans about crime levels and every one said it was getting worse. My advice is be street smart, watch what's going on around you, and be very careful late at night.

8. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Everything is exaggerated, You will see that everything here is more or less like it has been for the last decade or so.

10. Likes cjewell, zoomzx11 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been coming down for around 10 years now. I have been living here since January. I notice no real difference between then and now. You needed to follow the normal precautions, then, just as you need to now. Out late alone and drunk was a no-no then as it is now. The prostitute situation goes through it's normal ebb and flow...there does seem to be more moto/pimp guys on the street now but I don't seem to ever have any interaction with them. As Rattus Rattus mentions above...it seems there is a lot of exaggeration around here. I feel quite safe.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO the crime problem has not much to do about walking in the streets, especially the strip. The main problems obviously occur in houses. As I said I had a problem while going home late at night:
    see post 5... Shooting tonight in Cafemba

And I know many, many poeple who got problems at home... WHEN IT IS NOT GUARDED BY A FEW DOGS

13. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing that is bothering me is I keep hearing this phrase lately, "Soylent Green" as I walk through
    the barrios?

15. Likes Criss Colon, pauleast liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast