Getting Freaked Out

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I lived in DR for a long while. I left in 2006 and have not been back since. I am planning to come back on vacation with some friends in October.

What has me freaked out is all the posts about pick-up in crime. Especially upsetting was the thread about the couple who were attacked in their home in La Mulata.

I used to work for Century 21 Juan Perdomo and I remember showing homes in there, many of which were new and it was suposedley a safe place (though I thought it was kind of isolated in between Sosua and Cabarete).

I used to go out ALOT in Cabarete and Sosua and at all hours of the night. I never had a single problem or instance where I feared for my safety. That was one reason that I loved that part of DR so much - I felt so safe.

I mean I was bribed but the policia nacional a couple of times, had a couple bad run in's with the Amet and someone once tried to steal my pasola (not with me anywhere near it) - but no instances where I felt that my person was in jeapordy or that anyone was out to cause me any harm.

Have things changed that much? Those who live in Cabarete/Sosua and in-between - do you see a stark contrast between how it was 2002-2006 to how it is now? It is still safe to go out to the bars at night and stagger home at all hours?

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
for a little crime that happens in a small place cant be that bad. if you live in a house with 5 people one might try to steal from you or may be not but crime happens. people rob the weak and i walked in the worse areas and nothing happened. i havent heard a thread of a member getting dragged down the street and robbed so i would bet that you would be ok hope every body would be alright

edited because or my alcohol use

Last edited:

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
I was kind and respectful to everyone. I am not wealthy and don't have many nice things. Drove a pasola and made friends with everyone I met in both towns - As I said never a problem and there was always someone willing to help me out if needed (mostly Dominicans). I didn't feel lucky - I felt like it was the norm. That's what's freaking me out. I lived in a condo near Caribe Campo and I read that a Canadian was murdered in there a couple of years ago.

I remember the police being over the top and many times late at night after the discos, them taking people (men and women) to the jail just for being outside. Onetime they took my friend and we went to the police station to help him and there were like 30 boys (maybe from 20-25 years old) all taking off belts and shoe laces to spend the night. Then the next morning, everyone sent home.

Again though - I had no experience with Dominicans trying to harm me and never felt unsafe at all. I have even broken down on the highway on the pasola between POP and Sosua and always the next passer by push me with their foot to the next town to fix whatever the problem was (usually the damn bohia).

There were hookers when I used to live there but again -- a law closing in the bars? The streets being overrun with hookers? Pimps? Robberies all over the place?

Someone tell me is this true or exaggerated?

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
I just spent two months in Cabarete. I stayed at Cita del Sol. No robberies anywhere that I heard about. Seemed to be safe to me. I was there in 2006 as well and conditions seem the same. What has changed is more drugs which means more violent crimes. However, the violence is between the drug guys and not the rest of the population. Don't get caught in the crossfire I guess.

Of interest, I spoke to many Dominicans about crime levels and every one said it was getting worse. My advice is be street smart, watch what's going on around you, and be very careful late at night.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I have been coming down for around 10 years now. I have been living here since January. I notice no real difference between then and now. You needed to follow the normal precautions, then, just as you need to now. Out late alone and drunk was a no-no then as it is now. The prostitute situation goes through it's normal ebb and flow...there does seem to be more moto/pimp guys on the street now but I don't seem to ever have any interaction with them. As Rattus Rattus mentions above...it seems there is a lot of exaggeration around here. I feel quite safe.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
IMO the crime problem has not much to do about walking in the streets, especially the strip. The main problems obviously occur in houses. As I said I had a problem while going home late at night:
see post 5... Shooting tonight in Cafemba

And I know many, many poeple who got problems at home... WHEN IT IS NOT GUARDED BY A FEW DOGS

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
The only thing that is bothering me is I keep hearing this phrase lately, "Soylent Green" as I walk through
the barrios? :paranoid:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Anyone who has actually lived here for the last 10 years, and who is not deaf,dumb,and/or blind knows that there has been a big jump in violent crime during that period.
To say otherwise means you don't know what is going on, or you are purposely down playing "Crime In The DR" for your personal agenda reasons.
Either way, you are WRONG!
I would not delay, or cancel a trip here for safety reasons.
However, once here remember what Dominicans say,and you will be "Safer".
"If You Lay Down With Dogs, You Wake Up With Fleas"!!!!
I say, "Don't hang out with people, or go to places you would NEVER go at "HOME"!
Decent people come here and feel they need to befriend low life "Scum Bags", and hang out in bars in "Barrios Calientes".
I KNOW, I did just that, but THAT was in 1986!!!!!!
That was then, this is NOW!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Anyone who has actually lived here for the last 10 years, and who is not deaf,dumb,and/or blind knows that there has been a big jump in violent crime during that period.
To say otherwise means you don't know what is going on, or you are purposely down playing "Crime In The DR" for your personal agenda reasons.
Either way, you are WRONG!
I would not delay, or cancel a trip here for safety reasons.
However, once here remember what Dominicans say,and you will be "Safer".
"If You Lay Down With Dogs, You Wake Up With Fleas"!!!!
I say, "Don't hang out with people, or go to places you would NEVER go at "HOME"!
Decent people come here and feel they need to befriend low life "Scum Bags", and hang out in bars in "Barrios Calientes".
I KNOW, I did just that, but THAT was in 1986!!!!!!
That was then, this is NOW!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

exactly!! this whole nonsense about getting close to the 'real people"

why do all these gringos come here and hang out in places they would not go back home? when they are in Detroit, they do not even think of driving through an inner city neighborhood, because those denizens will eat them. then, they come to the DR, and the first night they are here, some girl who works as a billing clerk for Allstate is in bed with Fuasto the skell, whose pants are falling off his arse, and who lives on a mattress on his mother's floor

wassup wit dat?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
THEN, she marries "Fausto", takes him to Manitoba, where "Little Fausto" is born, just after "BIG Fausto" has left her for a "Whiter", "Fatter" Canadian woman who lives in Toronto!!!!!
Then she posts on DR1 about how to get a divorce here in the DR.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
You can't make this stuff up, AND you don't need to!!!!!!!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
THEN, she marries "Fausto", takes him to Manitoba, where "Little Fausto" is born, just after "BIG Fausto" has left her for a "Whiter", "Fatter" Canadian woman who lives in Toronto!!!!!

this is why you are CCC, and the rest of us aren't.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004

Why do some many people on this board pick on Canadian women??? I remember before I knew what a Sanky was I dated a one from POP who I later learned was married to a Brit at the same time he was dating me and he actually now lives in England. Everything you said is correct and familiar but I have met Germans, Canadians, Brits, Americans and more... all who have made the same mistakes with Sankies in DR -- almost exactly as you just said -- bed, married, papers, pregnant, guy leaves, divorce..... but why take a shot at Canadians? Kind of ****ty I think and seems to have become a common theme on DR1.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Why do some many people on this board pick on Canadian women??? I remember before I knew what a Sanky was I dated a one from POP who I later learned was married to a Brit at the same time he was dating me and he actually now lives in England. Everything you said is correct and familiar but I have met Germans, Canadians, Brits, Americans and more... all who have made the same mistakes with Sankies in DR -- almost exactly as you just said -- bed, married, papers, pregnant, guy leaves, divorce..... but why take a shot at Canadians? Kind of ****ty I think and seems to have become a common theme on DR1.

i'm not touching this...

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012

cj. Let me try this angle. Two of the reasons are,a lot more single woman that come to the north coast are Canadians. Secondly there is a large Dominican population in the U.S: New York Boston and Wash. D.C (to a degree). So the woman are a little bit more wise to the game.
Anyway , don't take offense. I get scammed twice a week in Santiago by the chicas.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
cj. Let me try this angle. Two of the reasons are,a lot more single woman that come to the north coast are Canadians. Secondly there is a large Dominican population in the U.S: New York Boston and Wash. D.C (to a degree). So the woman are a little bit more wise to the game.
Anyway , don't take offense. I get scammed twice a week in Santiago by the chicas.

lol too funny re: the chicas in Santiago. I have a ton of family in the tri-state area and have met many there who have gotten vamboozled by guys too.

I'm cool - just noticing quite a bit of Canadian bashing going on throughout DR1 and I used to use this site many years ago and it wasn't like that.

I am a Canadian woman and proud of it - I own a successful business and don't consider myself or many of my colleagues that are Canadian women to be idiots. I also have friends who have made bad choices in their youths but don't consider them dumb Canadian b$%^&s as some have said on this site either. I think Canadians are very trusting people. I also think many women in general are in love with the idea of being in and finding love (I mean look at all the dating sites) --- I think many a woman who have been unlucky at love at home, could easily fall prey to a Sanky. Just like they could go on a dating site and meet someone who does not present as they claims or has an agenda - but the thousands who have found love and their husbands/wives on them. How about all the people who have taken a leap of faith and are happily married with Dominicans?

I think just classifying women from an entire country with such a broad brush is not nice.

It is actually really quite sad that those who maybe somewhat desperate for love and family are at the most risk.

I don't think being open with your heart and mind and not walking around assuming the worst of people at all times makes you dumb, or an idiot. It is not surprising to me that some women get blinded by these guys and some of these guys can be really tricky and deceptive. I would rather live my life with my heart and mind open and get burned a time or two then close my heart and mind and become and unfeeling, sceptical, grumpy ole biotch.

Just saying... ok bring it on Canadian haters... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.