dumpster diving

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
no, i do not mean favourite pastime of first world hipster who go brown in order to be green. no. i am talking about casual trash digging.

i have noticed several times that out trash bags were ripped apart, sometimes the bag itself would be gone with the contents loose inside the bin. i thought briefly the ripping part may be animals, but the bin is too tall for a dog and we do not throw away anything that could interest a cat. and it never looked like a rat job either.

so, few days ago we were coming back from walking the beasts from hell. a group of young dominicans followed close behind us, clearly coming back from the beach and on the way to their barrio somewhere. we went inside but i heard the voices outside our gate for a long while. went out about 20 minutes later to do some whopping and the bag - right on the top of the rubbish bin, was ripped apart, rubbish tossed around.

wtf? is this customary to dig in someone's trash? were they looking for something specific? i get the folks who look for bottles, cans and other recyclables but those were just teenagers in swimming trunks. not the hard working type.

and yes, out of curiosity i have looked into neighbours' bins. never seen a bag ripped open.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Hey 8,

If your building where you live has a lot of us there, they may be looking for personal info..SS numbers, CC info, Bills with your info etc...Can't imagine anything else unless they are hungry??...You sound like a no nonsense girl, so I'm sure I don't need to advise you to shred any and all documents before throwing them out...And believe me I know, at my other apartment I never got any of my mail that said (Department of US Treasury) wonder why....Only letters anyways thank God!

no, i do not mean favourite pastime of first world hipster who go brown in order to be green. no. i am talking about casual trash digging.

i have noticed several times that out trash bags were ripped apart, sometimes the bag itself would be gone with the contents loose inside the bin. i thought briefly the ripping part may be animals, but the bin is too tall for a dog and we do not throw away anything that could interest a cat. and it never looked like a rat job either.

so, few days ago we were coming back from walking the beasts from hell. a group of young dominicans followed close behind us, clearly coming back from the beach and on the way to their barrio somewhere. we went inside but i heard the voices outside our gate for a long while. went out about 20 minutes later to do some whopping and the bag - right on the top of the rubbish bin, was ripped apart, rubbish tossed around.

wtf? is this customary to dig in someone's trash? were they looking for something specific? i get the folks who look for bottles, cans and other recyclables but those were just teenagers in swimming trunks. not the hard working type.

and yes, out of curiosity i have looked into neighbours' bins. never seen a bag ripped open.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i live in a house, not an apartment block. everyone else on our street is also a foreigner. i rip apart all documents that may have any details. i do not think those teens from my story above have a functioning brain between them, let alone one capable of hatching identity theft plan.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I've seen street bums looking for food in trash bags, even eating right out of them. But that would not fill the profile of young guys returning from the beach.
There are of course the infamous "buzos" (divers) who usually dwell in dump landfills looking for anything of value in the trash.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
They are practicing for a job at a big garbage dump.
Like a "Farm Team" in baseball.
Start putting you big dog's "POOP" in the bag.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
"Amazon" "dv" ?????
I think there is a bigger market right here on "DR1" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
actually, there is plenty of crap in our bags too, courtesy of our three cats. not to mention crappy toilet paper. i never throw away food. organic disposal is in the garden, in the form of our rotties. and cans, bottles, jars and other goodies are neatly placed in a separate bag, i know some folks live off this.

what really annoys me is that no one else seems to suffer from the same predicament. why me?!

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
From what I've seen over the years is that many Dominican like to collect junk. My gardner is the worse. When I throw something out such as a laptop, tv of any electronic, it's because it's broken and non-repairable, but he keeps it. When I throw out broken kitchen equipment at the restaurant, I always find it on a shelf again cause of the of the employees wants it for home. The other day, my printer in the office broke and I tore it apart breaking most of the plastic. I threw it one of the metals bins on the road and within 1/2 hour somebody was in there taking it. Sometimes I think that because I'm a gringo, they think I have money to burn and throw things out for nothing.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
From what I've seen over the years is that many Dominican like to collect junk. My gardner is the worse. When I throw something out such as a laptop, tv of any electronic, it's because it's broken and non-repairable, but he keeps it. When I throw out broken kitchen equipment at the restaurant, I always find it on a shelf again cause of the of the employees wants it for home. The other day, my printer in the office broke and I tore it apart breaking most of the plastic. I threw it one of the metals bins on the road and within 1/2 hour somebody was in there taking it. Sometimes I think that because I'm a gringo, they think I have money to burn and throw things out for nothing.

I have noticed the same thing - they hate to see anything thrown out. I don't know if it comes from childhood poverty or what, but Mr. AE has hoarder tendencies. I had a broken breadmaker that I threw out, and a couple of months later I found it on a shelf in his workroom. When I asked him why it was there, he said he thought he could fix it. :ermm:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My main man keeps everything - broken faucets are carefully put away, shower heads that don't work, scraps of wire.

Sooner or later he finds a use for them....

The styrofoam that is used as packaging material is very attractive... they melt it and use it to patch roofing, among other things

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there are only 2 dominicans on our street...

so you guys are saying the teens saw a white couple, speaking english, they saw the house we got into and thought "stupid gringos, they must be trowing away some useful stuff, let's check it out!".

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I'm going with the panties theory. The reason why is simple: I am a professional dumpster diver, and so is my brother (he is full Dominican. I'm only half Dominican. We have the same father). He and i have spent our entire lives dumpster diving. He collects anything metal or malleable and makes "mobil" art sculptures out of them; he won a junior "Alexander Calder" award and several other awards. I mostly pick through the garbage looking for anything i can resell on Ebay. But occasionally, every now and then, whenever we come across a woman's panties, we take turns smelling them. I know, i know, it sounds gross, but listen, its just harmless fun. It's also a male instinct.

Panty sniffing, or panty fetishes, have been going on for centuries, and it'll be going on for centuries more--until the end of time. It's a male instinct...no different then a dog sniffing the rear end of a female who walks past. Occasionally, whenever a beautiful girl would come to listen to my brother and i play music (in the 70's in Dayton, Ohio), we would take turns sniffing the seat that she sat on after she left. We like to store different smells in our brain; we categorize them. It's a hobby. Maybe weird hobby, but only because of societies negativity towards it. I think panty sniffing is probably some primitive instinct that we're all born with but then we're taught to suppress it because it disagrees with societies definition of acceptable behavior. But for my brother and i (my brother is known as the Rocketman...long story) sniffing panties is as a sort of identity marker---a way of finding out if a woman is ovulating, menstruating, or in Heat. I know that today, it is unacceptable. But it hasn't always been this way.

My brother and i can smell when a woman is ovulating downwind from about 10 to 15 meters away, but sometimes further if its across the bar and an over-head fan is turned on high. I know that bears and dogs can smell a female menstruating from about 2 miles downwind. But it took my brother and I a long time to perfect it. We can also smell a glass of wine and tell you what grape it is and the region its from. My brother and i can both smell and identify between a Merlot, Cabernet, Shiraz, Malbec, Pino Noir, Zinfandel, Cotes Du Rhone, Sauvignon Blanc, Chablis, Syrah, Petit Syrah, Chianti, Beaujolais, Rioja, Haut Medoc, Pinot Blanc, Montrachet, Meursault, Pomerol, Chenion Blanc, Bordeaux, Chardonnay, and my personal favorite (a white Bordeaux grape): Chateau Margaux (1982 is the best).

My and my brother's sense of smell are really ultra sensitive, but so was our father's, Federico. Being Dominican, he could smell things beyond the range of a normal Homo Sapien spectrum...hence, he was a chef...and a really good one.

Frank

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.