No Tariff In December

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
So, I've heard there is no import tax in December because of the holidays. I find this hard to believe since they would make most of their money in that month, but if someone would know the answer it'd be somebody on DR1.

So, is it true there are no import taxes in December?

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
April Fools?

Are you pulling my leg, is it April 1st only, or all of April?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
April Fools?

Are you pulling my leg, is it April 1st only, or all of April?

You really need to ignore boracho posters at this hour, hopefully you will get an answer from someone sober.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I think this is a tax exemption for gifts with a max. value of 1500 USD what Dominicans visiting for xmas can bring with them.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I think this is a tax exemption for gifts with a max. value of 1500 USD what Dominicans visiting for xmas can bring with them.

So purchasing something from Amazon and getting it shipped here will still be taxed? I thought no matter what you brought into the country as long as you had it in hand from the plane was tax free..

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Yes saw that once when you come in the country on the back of the paper you have to fill for the customs...

I doubt this is for general importing, such as buying stuff online or other things that you import that are worth more then 200$.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Dunno with the plane and what you have in your hands when arriving. I heard that what I posted. I bought from Amazon in December and it was taxed as usual when it was more than 200 USD value...
So purchasing something from Amazon and getting it shipped here will still be taxed? I thought no matter what you brought into the country as long as you had it in hand from the plane was tax free..

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Dunno with the plane and what you have in your hands when arriving. I heard that what I posted. I bought from Amazon in December and it was taxed as usual when it was more than 200 USD value...

I was sure it was too good to be true. Well, there goes my plan for ordering some items over $200...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

no, this is something else. they have it every year. it's for dominicanos-americanos who are visiting DR and bringing gifts home. it's usually from 15th of november to 6th of january (dia de los reyes). and last two years it was up to the value of 3.000 dollars. this is for dominicans who live abroad only and have not visited for at least 6 months.

this is last year's info:
ADUANA DA INICIO HOY A LA GRACIA NAVIDE?A…LOS DOMINICANOS EN EL EXTRANJEROS QUE TENGAN MAS DE 6 MESES FUERA PODRAN TRAEL HASTA $3,000 DOLARES EN REGALOS.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
no, this is something else. they have it every year. it's for dominicanos-americanos who are visiting DR and bringing gifts home. it's usually from 15th of november to 6th of january (dia de los reyes). and last two years it was up to the value of 3.000 dollars. this is for dominicans who live abroad only and have not visited for at least 6 months.

this is last year's info:
ADUANA DA INICIO HOY A LA GRACIA NAVIDE?A…LOS DOMINICANOS EN EL EXTRANJEROS QUE TENGAN MAS DE 6 MESES FUERA PODRAN TRAEL HASTA $3,000 DOLARES EN REGALOS.

Thank you for that link, it will come in handy!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
AIRPORT THE AMERICAS

They complain about delayed baggage delivery

Travelers have to stand in long lines outside the offices and airline counters at the third level.

Complaints of absent Dominicans delivery of their baggage behind because of the holidays have begun to surface in the Las Americas airport, even though it has not yet started the largest influx of travelers to the country from abroad.

According to airport authorities for this December is expected to be mobilized by the Las Americas Airport over 300,000 passengers from different destinations where thousands of Dominicans reside. However, New York is the place where, according to statistical reports reside more than one million Dominicans.

In the early hours of day travelers are seen lining up outside the offices and airline counters at the third level in search of their baggage behind or to obtain information about the arrival in the hours thereof.

The airlines keep a limit on Christmas only carry two suitcases per passenger, a regular and one hand, but those who wish to bring a further need to pay the sum $ 40 each. To ensure protection of the baggage behind the absent Dominicans, airlines and Aerodom authorities have set up a special space and monitored under the control of airline employees. Many of the affected travelers said they came to the country, flight airline JetBlue, Continental Airlines, Delta and American Airlines from New York, Miami, Boston, Atlanta, New Jersey and other U.S. cities.

The suitcases and bundles arriving with delays are placed by airline employees and moved behind the baggage area of ​​the Directorate General of Customs, who come to his office if the passenger applies for the holiday facilities.

It is, however, expected that the problem is further exacerbated as you progress December when traffic operations and passenger Dominican Republic intensifies from different points outside.

According to data supplied by the airport authorities is arriving daily volume of 70 and 75 flights to Las Americas airport, Jos? Francisco Pe?a G?mez, from different parts of the world.

While travelers over six months without coming to the country, are receiving ample facilities exoneration items and gifts to three thousand dollars, without payment of customs duties. Grace began on November 23 and will run until January 8, 2014. Most beneficiaries leave happy after leaving customs halls.

Se quejan por retrasos en entrega de equipajes - listindiario.com

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The police announced today that they will increase their patrols between the "Cibao Airport",...Santiago, and the Duarte Highway to keep foreigners and returning Dominicans from being robbed!
NOW what will the thieves do for their, Christmas "Shopping" spree ????????????
Damn those "Policias Grinch-os"!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
There again one would have to be mad to arrive in the dr in december, prices and crowd being the main reason.
As for tax exemption, we always arrive with like 8 suitcases and I ve never been controlled at customs, never paid taxes either....

Ps, there aint no clothes in my suitcases.....

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
There again one would have to be mad to arrive in the dr in december, prices and crowd being the main reason.
As for tax exemption, we always arrive with like 8 suitcases and I ve never been controlled at customs, never paid taxes either....

What airport and how many people in your traveling party? I fly into Punta Cana every other month and they stop me and search my bags every single time with no exception. I'm a 50 yr old male traveling alone. I suspect they think I'm bringing stuff in for my many chicas (of which I have none).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Count us among the mad ones, we're arriving this month.

Mr. AE saw the article about the luggage traffic-jam in SD this morning. We're bringing one suitcase - and that's only because we've got a TV inside it, everything else is being shipped by mundanza next week. I called the airline to ask if we could bring the TV in the original box, and they said "Yes, as long as the combined measurements are under 62 inches", but I don't trust them. I expect we'd get to the check-in and they'd say "no boxes", so we've packed it inside our biggest suitcase [it's only a 32" TV].

All our clothing stays in our DR house, so like you we have no clothing in our suitcase!

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
I landed in SDQ airport yesterday, full of dominicanos with 5-6 suitcase getting check, huge & long lineup.

Thanks god they let me, the gringo gtfo very quickly without checking anything.. Because if they looked inside my suitcase, it was probably way worst in terms of importing value then any other Dominicano there!!!!