Can i get some help here, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
article in Listin Diario

Fuel most expensive in the Dominican Republic

As reported in Listin Diario, the cost of fuel in the Dominican Republic is higher than in every other country in the region, with the sole exception of Costa Rica. This week's fuel prices, as announced on Friday 27 September, are at US$6.10 per gallon for premium gasoline, US$5.68 for regular gasoline and US$5.00 for diesel. The newspaper reports that the average in Central America and the Caribbean is US$4.60 and US$4.26 respectively. In Costa Rica regular gasoline sells for US$5.41 per gallon and premium gasoline sells for US$5.60 a gallon.

can someone please explain how $5.60 per gallon is more expensive than $6.10?

any thoughts? please be kind..

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
gorgon, you're not supposed to actually calculate the numbers, you're supposed to just take the word of the writer of the article.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
let me tell you a story. while at home i went to vission express to get more contact lenses. after initial check i went to see a young guy who would fit me with correct lenses (and glasses). out of curiosity i asked him if he was a doc tor. he said no, he's an optometrist. so i ask what did he study then, if not medicine, to do this job. physics. oh, i said, do you think people are very stupid, then?

he was stunned, until i explained. when someone admit to never reading books we call him an idiot. when someone admits he cannot do any calculations without calculator, we feel there is nothing wrong with that. but clearly, this is also a form of idiocy. and here's the guy who studied physics, a subject most people know absolutely nothing about. he just laughed. must have thought i was stupid, i guess.

but here is your answer, gorgon. people do not look at numbers. numbers do not exist. words say something, no need to actually look at numbers and THINK. no. no thinking involved. none whatsoever.

and of course you are a nasty, sneaky old man who dares to look at numbers. damn you. just like all those evil, negative thinking posters here who always criticize any honest to god dominican statistics from newspapers, concluding that total always comes over 100%. this is vile to pay such attention to detail. feel ashamed now and apologize.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
The reason why the numbers and the text don't match is the exact same reason why DR has the highest gas prices.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
If you have a need for things making good sense you are living in the wrong country.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Reductio ad absurdum? I'm too rusty to actually do the math though.

there is no math to do. the article says that only Costa Rica has more expensive gasoline than the DR. then it goes on to publish the prices

Costa Rica 5.60

DR; 6.10

TALKING ABOUT ABSURDUM...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
there is no math to do. the article says that only Costa Rica has more expensive gasoline than the DR. then it goes on to publish the prices

Costa Rica 5.60

DR; 6.10

TALKING ABOUT ABSURDUM...

Maybe it depends on what kind of gallons they use. Back when Canada sold gas by the gallon we used imperial gallon which is bigger than the USA measure for a gallon.

Three significantly different sizes are in current use: the imperial gallon (≈ 4.546 L) which is used in the United Kingdom and in Canada, the US customary liquid gallon (≈ 3.79 L), and the less-used US dry gallon (≈ 4.40 L).

Not 100% sure which measure the DR uses

Taken from Gallon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

grumpy

Sep 22, 2013
Sorry, it was a joke. It's a mathematical proof by contradiction. If I could demonstrate something more absurd would result from 6.10<5.60 then it would make that hypothesis right.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Maybe it depends on what kind of gallons they use. Back when Canada sold gas by the gallon we used imperial gallon which is bigger than the USA measure for a gallon.

Three significantly different sizes are in current use: the imperial gallon (≈ 4.546 L) which is used in the United Kingdom and in Canada, the US customary liquid gallon (≈ 3.79 L), and the less-used US dry gallon (≈ 4.40 L).

Not 100% sure which measure the DR uses

Taken from Gallon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

this could very well be. however, i hardly see the DR and Costa Rica using different weights and measures.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
this could very well be. however, i hardly see the DR and Costa Rica using different weights and measures.

Costa Rica uses the metric system, so they use liters not gallons. Now, what system was used by the person doing the "research" is anybody's guess.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Costa Rica uses the metric system, so they use liters not gallons. Now, what system was used by the person doing the "research" is anybody's guess.

doesn't just about every country besides the USA use the metric system?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
article in Listin Diario

Fuel most expensive in the Dominican Republic

As reported in Listin Diario, the cost of fuel in the Dominican Republic is higher than in every other country in the region, with the sole exception of Costa Rica. This week's fuel prices, as announced on Friday 27 September, are at US$6.10 per gallon for premium gasoline, US$5.68 for regular gasoline and US$5.00 for diesel. The newspaper reports that the average in Central America and the Caribbean is US$4.60 and US$4.26 respectively. In Costa Rica regular gasoline sells for US$5.41 per gallon and premium gasoline sells for US$5.60 a gallon.

can someone please explain how $5.60 per gallon is more expensive than $6.10?

any thoughts? please be kind..

The observation is correct. The error is of the translation. Will make the correction. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.