Home Alarm System

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There have been several burglaries near our home, and Mr. AE's brother has advised him to install a loud alarm system in our house. It would be mainly a deterrent noise-wise, because there is no one to call out there in the campo. His thinking is that if the alarm goes off, they'll leave quickly.

Can anyone give me a ballpark cost to buy a simple system there? A couple of motion detectors and wireless door alarms. Are we much better off buying one here and bringing it down? How hard is it to get someone to install it?

Something is telling me this alarm will be more trouble than it's worth, but still interested in any info members can share.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
We bought ours at Lowes in the U.S. Wireless system but the motion sensors do not do well through cement so we mounted on the back side of our wood doors and close them at night so we can cover 3 rooms. Has worked fine for over a year and we will buy a second same system for another part of the house.

We have 4 motion sensors but I think that it will take up to 12. (again, does not work though cement.) You can get an outdoor horn for this also.

Shop GE Choice Alert Wireless Alarm Control Center with Window Sensor at Lowes.com

I could NOT stand the thought of more cement chipping, noise, dust and painting for a wired system.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have wired sensors in all doors and windows plus intelligent sensors in the garden. all is wired because god knows i would not remember to change batteries and look after all that.
we had it installed by a team from santiago, done by a friend of a friend. not the cheapest option around but trustworthy. and that alone is worth a lot. they have installed alarms all over DR and they will come to any location.

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
IMHO, if you live in an isolated place, its of course a good thing to have an alarm system. But maybe it can be stopped or crashed easily, I dont know about that. Anyway, what I really, really beleive is that the only and definitive solution to robberies, home invasions, assaults of all kinds is DOGS. A house guarded by 3 or 4 big and agressive dogs, IMHO wont get into troube.
Any problem about that: carefull about poisoning. And of course, it will be a problem while you must go away for a few days or ilf you must go on vacation...

TP666

Sep 6, 2005
For me I have a live in Haytian- 2 geese { can't poison } 2 cats and 2 dogs

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Bring it down. have a friend in Island Park owns an Alarm Company (Dyn Alarm) who I use to work for many moons ago...I can contact him for you to get a good deal and his professional opinion..I don't want to know the price, just advise him to discount you..

Depending where you live, we can do the install together, its very easy and no attics or basments can be a plus..LOL

Anthony

There have been several burglaries near our home, and Mr. AE's brother has advised him to install a loud alarm system in our house. It would be mainly a deterrent noise-wise, because there is no one to call out there in the campo. His thinking is that if the alarm goes off, they'll leave quickly.

Can anyone give me a ballpark cost to buy a simple system there? A couple of motion detectors and wireless door alarms. Are we much better off buying one here and bringing it down? How hard is it to get someone to install it?

Something is telling me this alarm will be more trouble than it's worth, but still interested in any info members can share.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Reading post again...Depending on the home, may be best to just use motion detectors, then pop a sign out front..(WARNING, PROTECTED BY ALARM SYSTEM AND GUARD DOGS) Something along those lines..Usually just a signin the front yard is enough for the thugs to move onto another home..Can use foil and/or contacts on each window, but you wanted something simple and cost effective, so motion detectors again may be the best application..

Anthony

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Good point and they make great company...As I mentioned a few times, rescued a puppy 6 Months ago, just moved and there are a lot of strays around my new place..BAM! Another one came about, befriended my puppy Rocca and now stays on my balcony, but we also allow her to come in..Well, well, she is great!!!! RUFF RUFF RUFF, lets us know what's going on the outside, feel pretty good about it too since she is not a barking dog..She's all business, just when somebody gets close to our front or hears something etc, very good watch dog...

Anthony

IMHO, if you live in an isolated place, its of course a good thing to have an alarm system. But maybe it can be stopped or crashed easily, I dont know about that. Anyway, what I really, really beleive is that the only and definitive solution to robberies, home invasions, assaults of all kinds is DOGS. A house guarded by 3 or 4 big and agressive dogs, IMHO wont get into troube.
Any problem about that: carefull about poisoning. And of course, it will be a problem while you must go away for a few days or ilf you must go on vacation...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have lots of DOGS!!!
I know that you are not here all the time to care of dogs, so that's out.
I have several motion detector activated flood lights out side my house.
They go on for a few minutes when activated.
My dogs activate them at night when they walk/run around the yard.
I like that, because that keeps potencial "Invaders" wondering.
An alarm system is better outside the home, once they are inside, your "F*#Ked" anyway.
Who turns off the alarm when you are not home????
"Claymore's" with a trip wire are the BEST! :bandit::bandit::bandit::dead::dead::dead:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003

I had to look at this again, read it and understand the questions, the needs and the situation to meet the OP's... op. :)

Looked pretty clear to me.

If can't have lots of scary dogs then I say yes to a GOOD alarm system!!!

I felt really unsafe here when we first arrived with just one chihuahua now with 6 dogs and the looks on people's faces when they see our HUGE dogs, I feel much better!!!!
I always know if my dogs get poisoned be ready to except visitors!!!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003

I felt really unsafe here when we first arrived with just one chihuahua now with 6 dogs and the looks on people's faces when they see our HUGE dogs, I feel much better!!!!

I'm glad that you read the OP and the ONE post above you.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Reading post again...Depending on the home, may be best to just use motion detectors, then pop a sign out front..(WARNING, PROTECTED BY ALARM SYSTEM AND GUARD DOGS) Something along those lines..Usually just a signin the front yard is enough for the thugs to move onto another home..Can use foil and/or contacts on each window, but you wanted something simple and cost effective, so motion detectors again may be the best application..

Anthony
Most of the thugs cant read so never mind the sigh out front, they will just use it to try and break in.

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I got a system installed last December. perimeter lasers all around, motion sensor in marqasina, motion sensor in main living area, outside horn and inside horn, control panel, 1 remote control key fob, and battery backup. cost me 25,000 pesos. Not very effective when the thieves set it of 4 or 5 times in an hour and the missus shuts it off thinking something is wrong with it. Then the thieves help themselves to the tv and pull it through the bars.....We have supplemented the alarm with a dog

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Hey HS,

Just from experience with Pigeons, and also knowledge, be sure to have Activated Charcoal on hand at all times should your dogs ever be poisoned..

Here is some info on it..

Poisoned Dog and How to Treat

Anthony

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Very good deal!! And how do they set it off??? And I'm sure this is a stupid question...But, do they use a Central Station here?? That's when the Alarm goes off, it will dial the Dispatch at police headquarters, just an example..The States use what is called a Central Station, its all they do, contact the police when they get notified by the dialer..

Any Idea or anyone know if they have this service here?

ANthony

I got a system installed last December. perimeter lasers all around, motion sensor in marqasina, motion sensor in main living area, outside horn and inside horn, control panel, 1 remote control key fob, and battery backup. cost me 25,000 pesos. Not very effective when the thieves set it of 4 or 5 times in an hour and the missus shuts it off thinking something is wrong with it. Then the thieves help themselves to the tv and pull it through the bars.....We have supplemented the alarm with a dog