La Sirena Puerto Plata

rms171

Jun 28, 2013
OK, dumb question from a gringo. Does La Sirena accept credit cards (foreign issued) or should I come with cash or a loaded up prepaid WU card?

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
A foreign credit card is accepted there. Just bring your foreign drivers license or passport for identification.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Yes, they will accept credit cards, just make sure you call your card company/companies before leaving home to tell them where you'll be, or they may be rejected. We had that happen when trying to buy a washing machine there, went through three cards before one went through. [And we DID call them all beforehand]

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
like above. remember to have any form of ID with you and you will be ok. there are also 3 or 4 ATMs outside if you need cash.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Yes, use Popular ATM there, you can take out 10,000 pesos at clip, less fees should you need cash...

like above. remember to have any form of ID with you and you will be ok. there are also 3 or 4 ATMs outside if you need cash.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
If you do use credit cards at La Sirena (or anywhere else) go online and check your credit card charges to be sure only you are using the card!

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
I just bought a refrigerator at LaSirena. We called LaSirena To see if they accepted American Express which they did next we called American Express. Everything was a go. We paid 31,975RD and 778Us came through on our card. Very easy. I think as long as you deal with reputable establishments you shouldn't have much of a problem. I'm always very careful and prefer to use cash.

you can always go to a bank and get a prepaid credit card........fees are only a few pesos and work for any supermarket or online transaction.

We have a bank account at Scotia Bank here so usually use the bank card but not always. Will probably apply for a CC in the DR soon, been lazy about it.
I already have such a wide variety of cards I don't want more but probably smart to get a DR one!!!

rms171

Jun 28, 2013
I have a prepaid western union MasterCard. I assume if you can wire to WU in la RD you can use a WU tarjeta prepago?

Mar 30, 2006
I have banco Leon sirena as card it's cool you get points to spend in La Sirena each month no matter where you use it! 2 points for every hundred pesos in La Sirena and one point for every hundred anywhere else! Easy to pay off as in La Sirena and very rarely has big queues!

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
La Sirena accepts all cards.. As has been said, it's a good idea to call your CC company and let them know what country you will be using your card in. I would also check to see how much the "Foreign Transaction Fee" if any will be charged by the Credit Card Company.. BOA & Citi bank do this type of charge. FYI, If you have BOA, you can use your debit card at ANY ScotiaBank ATM with NO fees. Hope this helps,

Fair Winds & Calm Seas

Jsta_Rebel

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just bought a refrigerator at LaSirena. We called LaSirena To see if they accepted American Express which they did next we called American Express. Everything was a go. We paid 31,975RD and 778Us came through on our card. Very easy. I think as long as you deal with reputable establishments you shouldn't have much of a problem. I'm always very careful and prefer to use cash.

It isn't always the establishment in the DR that causes fraud problems. The main problems using foreign credit cards are at the national level with the company that is processing those payments. That is where the fraud has been rampant. Always check your on line statments to check for fraud. I will only use my non DR credit cards in the DR in an emergency.