Dominican Republic?s murder-for-hire business booms: El Dia

jkc

Jun 24, 2013
Santo Domingo.-The discovery in recent weeks of at least six bodies murdered execution style has revealed a boom in the murder-for-hire business, which already has its "professionals appraisers" who put a price on the life of any person.

That manner of organized crime mostly used by drug traffickers has become so commonplace that rings have surfaced exclusively for contract killing.

A report by eldia.com.do says the booming business is evidenced by the murders of Juan Felix Cordero Febles (Copelin) and Rafael Rijo Astacio (Kico or Maestrico), who allegedly headed a network of assassins suspected of scores of executions for money.

The group is also suspected of developing a new form of that crime: the use of minors as gunmen. ?The hired killer is characterized by the cruel violence and coldblooded professionalism in executions.?

It adds that the victims are almost always tortured, shot several times and the bodies torched to erase evidence.

http://dominicantoday.com/dr/local/...publics-murder-for-hire-business-booms-El-Dia

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I hear that becoming a hitman is more and more an option for kids in barrios. Some people even say they are torn between Denbow and hitman businesses. That's the problem with the drug business. A market is created for hitmen, and once they get good at it, they want to broaden their horizons by offering their services to other potential customers. What south american countries lived in the 70s and 80s, DR is living today.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
correct me if i am wrong but it seems to me that the victims so far were somewhat connected to the underworld? i did see few separate articles on this as the murders happened and it was always alleged narcos and criminals. maybe dominicans can pool some cash and pay up to get rid of those pests.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Not sure if they accept FIAO?

correct me if i am wrong but it seems to me that the victims so far were somewhat connected to the underworld? i did see few separate articles on this as the murders happened and it was always alleged narcos and criminals. maybe dominicans can pool some cash and pay up to get rid of those pests.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
The typical hitman victim is a low life too. But, the problem starts when hitmen become available to the general public and you see them working for dissapointed fiancees and other people with passion issues.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
will they take pre-orders? i really dislike juan hubieres... and he is a criminal so kinda fits their clientele type.

grumpy

Sep 22, 2013
This is a recurrent pattern in Latin America: young men who usually start with armed robbery either because they haven't got money to buy any food or just because the barrio they live in is already rotten and the lifestyle poisoned their minds escalate to hired murder because it's something that - in some cases - they're used to witnessing (and sometimes doing it) from a very young age. They decide they're so good at it they'll make a living off it. It's a disease and it won't stop.

JayinRD

Apr 18, 2013
This is how Central America and Mexico distentegrated into chaos.. stinkin drugs and a weak/corrupt police. If the police force here can't turn this situation around soon this country be doomed.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
Its tough to have a stable of ready willing and able murderers. More of the help the cheaper the cost. Life is kinda cheap down here already.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
will they take pre-orders? i really dislike juan hubieres... and he is a criminal so kinda fits their clientele type.

That guy represents for me everything what's wrong and corrupt with Dominican Republic

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
In a poor country like the DR anyone can be a hired killer for a few pesos. This is not as sophisticated as some may think!

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
In this particular scenario, what I think is happening is the "capo", who is in charge of the hit men, was giving orders by superiors to conduct a clean-up campaign. The high ranking police officer, has the attention of his superiors, who have the attention of the president. DICRIM, along with DNCD, are both working tirelessly to piece together the puzzle between the recent "drug lab" discovery and the deaths of the hit men, police officer, and truck driver.

The sacred cow has to be protected at all times because he is feeding higher ranks up in the food chain. Something went terribly wrong and now the benefactors - bullhorns in hands, are advising the president, and at the same time, their minions are out mopping up liabilities. What a tangled web we weave sometimes. :)