Digicel #1 in Haiti would buy Orange

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
in this industry I only hope wi-max, an open source carrier protocol, will take over the same way that finally Android took over iphone and the rest propietary operating system for mobile phones and tablets

Don Pedro

Apr 2, 2005
I only hope wi-max

Are they developments coming for this technology ?
Don't hope...4G is all carriers' choice.

Digicel installed WI Max tech. in Jamaica in 2009 but nothing in Haiti.

Interresting would be how they will communicate to hide they are not an Haitin company taking over a Dominican carrier.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

Interresting would be how they will communicate to hide they are not an Haitin company taking over a Dominican carrier.

they are not a Haitian company. they are owned by Irish billionaire Dennis O'Brien, but they are based in Kingston, Jamaica.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013

there only 2 real 4G protocols, LTE propietary linked to ATT [att labs developed i think] and WI-MAX an open source developed by IEEE

so att won so far, they have a deeper pocket to twist arms

i'll keep on watching, it kind of late, but you never know, it took a long time for Android to win the game against MS and Apple

I never liked Iphone, nor apple computers,

but hey who was and is behind Android, you guessed, GOOGLE

So far no one in the horizon, that i know of, can beat google vision and innovation

bill gates is out the game, long ago, Ballner resigned or is in the way out

Steve Jobs [Apple] well you know, the widow is now enjoing the super yatcht he never got the chance to use

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
google should take wi-max and run with

making it fully operational with the android os, a killing

do away with the royalty rippoff

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Are they p?aning to use wimax on cel phones?
As far as I know it is designed as a substitute for land line data (the way they use 3G and 4G portable modems today), not for cel phone data. Cel phone data is a little more complex for several reason.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Back on topic, I hear it is a done deal. Orange and Digicel are supposedly down to the last details.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
there are phones which use wimax and not gsm, cdma nor LTE

Sprint implemented a full wimax network for mobile phone communications, data and voice

no big deal, there are mobile phone that can comunicate using wifi, data and voice

actually wimax is an improved version of wifi, so to speak, more range, cel swithing, more speed to be considered a true 4G protocol

there are only 2 truly 4G protocols, wimax that even came out first, then LTE came out

NOTHING more... but carriers keep on saying they have 4G service when they dont have the infrastructure

Some carriers do have LTE but do not provide much more data speed

To be considered a true 4G system it must be capable to transmit data at 1 giga bits speed

you will hardly see any so called 4G system in the Caribbean at more than a mere 5 mega bits data speed