Haiti recalling Ambassador from DR

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Haiti is recalling their ambassador from Santo Domingo beginning on Tuesday. Apparently this is a move in solidarity to a recent ruling in a Dominican Constitutional Court where persons born to Haitian immigrant workers were blocked of their citizenship going back to 1929.

Hait? retira embajador ante Rep?blica Dominicana - Diario Libre Movil

They had to save face for their public opinion. On "normal" times, the ambassador usually kept silent when some incident arose. Also, their nationals here usually complain a lot about that embassy's inefficacy, specially regarding the personnel in charge of the facilities in Santiago.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
They had to save face for their public opinion. On "normal" times, the ambassador usually kept silent when some incident arose. Also, their nationals here usually complain a lot about that embassy's inefficacy, specially regarding the personnel in charge of the installations in Santiago.

I pass that consulate in Santiago many times whilst traversing the city. There's always some protest or incidence there. I remember once, where a Dominican female worker was accosted by the Haitian consular. She was in the news seeking damages and his termination.

Another incident was a "mafia" type system being in full operation at said location, where passports were being sold to the highest bidder in lieu of others who were in the cue to be served.

The withdrawal of an ambassador is a diplomatic maneuver designed to extract as much international attention and pressure possible.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
This is a skillful move on the part of the Haitians to garner international notoriety. The revocation of an ambassador is seen as the ultimate diplomatic maneuver regarding a grievance between parties.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
I think DR should also recall its ambassador.

As if the world really cares about two insignificant countries recalling their ambassadors....lol

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
I think DR should also recall its ambassador.

As if the world really cares about two insignificant countries recalling their ambassadors....lol

That would be playing into the hands of the Haitians. The Dominicans, through their Foreign Affairs Minister, would articulate the sovereignty of their country; hence court system.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
That would be playing into the hands of the Haitians. The Dominicans, through their Foreign Affairs Minister, would articulate the sovereignty of their country; hence court system.

HEIN??? are you not making too much out of this?

This is not an important issue......even if both countries were to close their respective embassies.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006

This is not an important issue......even if both countries were to close their respective embassies.

It's not my call at all regarding the degree of such action. I, however, did observe the effects of the ill-conceived ban on Dominican poultry and eggs, both on the local economy, and the heightened tensions between the two nations.

I've spoken to you previously and I'm familiar with your stance - you want the two countries to separate themselves in terms of trade, sever all diplomatic ties, deport all Haitians as Dominicans see fit, etc. Thing is, once again, we are witnessing what can be perceived to be more hostility between the two nations.

It's a little difficult to inculcate your vision or outlook between two countries inextricably linked by the mere fact that they share the same island. :)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

Gwozozo -- where do you live? The DR probably has the largest Haitian diaspora in the world here. OK, not the most affluent or educated.. the most vulnerable and the least educated. But you are probably safely ensconsced in the US, right?

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Gwozozo -- where do you live? The DR probably has the largest Haitian diaspora in the world here. OK, not the most affluent or educated.. the most vulnerable and the least educated. But you are probably safely ensconsced in the US, right?

I am between Haiti and USA....back and forth.

I am safe in both places....with property and resources in both.

I do feel for these poor souls who do not/did not have the same opportunities afforded to my family.

The fact remains that this is a DR issue for ethnic haitians or whatever they call themselves in DR to deal with.

They can march a la Dr King.....they can seek international protection a la Palestinians or Kurds

I wish them luck as I would to any ethnic minority in any country.

GWOZOZO

Bronze
Dec 7, 2011
Thing is, once again, we are witnessing what can be perceived to be more hostility between the two nations.

OK so there is hostility...so what???

Countries can disagree...see things differently....and in this specific case have different vision and interests.

But this is DR and Haiti....there is no threat of armed conflict...or threat to the safety of the region.

That is why it is not important and people should stop being so emotional.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am between Haiti and USA....back and forth.

I am safe in both places....with property and resources in both.

I do feel for these poor souls who do not/did not have the same opportunities afforded to my family.

The fact remains that this is a DR issue for ethnic haitians or whatever they call themselves in DR to deal with.

They can march a la Dr King.....they can seek international protection a la Palestinians or Kurds

I wish them luck as I would to any ethnic minority in any country.

I was talking with some Dominicans today and they all said give them all rights except the power to vote or become president.

delite

Bronze
Oct 17, 2006
OK so there is hostility...so what???

Countries can disagree...see things differently....and in this specific case have different vision and interests.

But this is DR and Haiti....there is no threat of armed conflict...or threat to the safety of the region.

That is why it is not important and people should stop being so emotional.

Oh I'm as cool as a cucumber bro. I simply wrote the article and provided an opinion. :)

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I really don't see a solution to this problem as Dominicans will not allow a subtle takeover of Haitians(this is how it's being viewed) If things are not resolved in a diplomatic way, I don't see anything good coming out of this.