Possible move to DR to finally be with husband and open a business there...

CMercedes

Jun 28, 2013
www.Bailaconpasion.com
Hi Guys.....
There is a great possibility that I may be moving to the DR to be with my husband who is from Santo Domingo. We are newly married and are working on his visa but are tired of being apart and have been planning for some time to look into opening a business there. With the recent shutdown of my government we are kicking this plan into high gear since things in my country are so broken right now. I am sure you have deduced that I am American.

This is such a huge endeavor, we don't even know where to start. He will be looking into an apartment for us in different areas that we are interested in to see what the monthly rent would be for what we need and also for a space for our business. We need to be near the tourist /resort areas which should not be hard to do at all.

I know this is an incredibly broad question since this is such a huge change but we would both welcome any insight that anyone out there may have for us. He is well informed about Santo Domingo but that is not where we would be planning to open our business. We definitely need to be in a more tourist supported area...La Romana....Sosua....Samana.... you get the idea. I would love any input, tips, advice that anyone out there could provide us to help us in this massive transition.

Thank you so much and Saludos!:classic:

Rent for no less than 6months before buying anything. There is a reason for so much property stays unsold year after year.

When it comes to the other pieces of your puzzle, i believe you will find out the answers yourself within these 6months.

Buena Suerte

CMercedes

Jun 28, 2013
www.Bailaconpasion.com
Ahh Muchas Gracias Rattus_Rattus! I appreciate your advice. Personally I am not too thrilled about the Sosua area due to what I am reading about the crime there but we need to do more research on that. I am partial to Juan Dolio for business reasons and possibly the La Romana area.

Thank you again.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Don't let the Sosua bashers turn you away. Take extended trips to each part of the island, and due your homework in each part so you can make an educated choice. Good luck.
Disclaimer ..... I am pro Sosua! Hahaha

drescape24

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
CMercedes,

Welcome to DR1!

Sosua is no more or less safe than any other part of the country. I've never felt in danger, and I've been coming to the country for 13 years. You hear a lot more about Sosua simply because there are more folks who live/are interested in the North Coast. Just use basic common sense, and you'll be more than fine.

There are many good tourist-based options, but my main advice would be to plan properly in terms of having adequate living expenses. You will find - especially on the North and East Coasts - that just about every kind of tourism-based endeavor is already very well represented. That means you will find a lot of competition for the ever-diminishing tourist dollars.

Not to say there isn't money to be made from start-ups. A guy opened a taco shack in Cabarete and was an immediate success. And whoever offers NYC-style pizza and/or chinese food should do very well for themselves.

That said, it will take time to figure out what business makes the most sense, and to set yourselves up properly. So, you'll either need a steady source of income and/or substantial savings to get you through the low seasons and the natural build-up period.

CMercedes

Jun 28, 2013
www.Bailaconpasion.com
Wow you guys! Thank you so much! I really appreciate your input DRob...Drescape 24...everyone! We are definitely doing our research and have friends that are from there as well that we are looking to for guidance also. I would not move without enough money to carry for at least 6 months.

Part of what I do has me traveling quite a bit so that part of my career is not dependent on the tourist dollars however there is another part of what I do that would be somewhat dependent on the tourist dollars. At least not all of our income would be dependent on that and for next year there is a lot more travel already confirmed which means solid income. YAY! :)

I have to say that I was afraid of Sosua because of what I have read here but I also know that my husband would not guide us to a place that we could not be comfortable economically and safe. I am kind of more interested in Juan Dolio for many reasons but we are open to what will best suit our needs and where we are safe.

Unfortunately, I dont have the money to go back and forth for any 'sightseeing' trips, I will need to rely on him to do that for us since we need to hang on to any savings for this move. I do have a close friend here that is from Santiago that is connecting us with his attorney there to help us with lease / work space / my citizenship etc so that helps too.

Now I dont know.....maybe we should get into the pizza or taco business! haha (not a chance! ;-) )

I know that we will end up where we are supposed to be and as long as we do our research and are well prepared, success will show itself. Thank you again everyone! This forum is awesome!

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
....Oh and once we have my husband's visa, he will be traveling with me so we need to be somewhere that we know our home / apt is safe when we are gone.

Just dont let anyone know you are gone.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Dogs are always home ;) Buy or adopt a Rottweiler, great dogs. But then you will need a dog sitter when you're gone..See!! its never easy!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!...LOL,, :) I'm okay now..

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
....Oh and once we have my husband's visa, he will be traveling with me so we need to be somewhere that we know our home / apt is safe when we are gone.

Are you adding this because nobody is reacting the way you hoped for?

CMercedes

Jun 28, 2013
www.Bailaconpasion.com
haha....good input guys. I think that we will be Rottweiler-less but will leave the lights on. ;-)

Mauricio....I am sorry I did not understand what you were asking me. I am not expecting any sort of response in particular. I welcome all input and guidance from those that live there and can offer us good advice. I apologize if you took my post in any kind of wrong way...I simply had not stated that my husband will be traveling with me in the prior post... that was all.

CMercedes

Jun 28, 2013
www.Bailaconpasion.com
Derfish....I am VERY EXCITED!! I have felt that this has been coming for a while and am so excited that we are now finally making it a reality!! Thank you for your warm welcome and support amigo! :classic:

Welcome to Dr1!!
I hope you have a good move and smooth entry into the Country. Since your Hubby is Dominican I am sure it will be easier for you then 2 Gringos.

I see a lot of struggling tourist businesses in the North Coast. I am no business expert, had one in Canada but I get scared for people when they want to start a business here.

I do wish you all the luck in the World and hopefully for me it will be a Taco Bell, Quiznos or Pizza Hut in Cabarete :)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you want to be near tourists then Punta Cana, Bavaro area is a no brainer. 102 Hotels in the area according to TripAdvisor.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Rent for no less than 6months before buying anything. There is a reason for so much property stays unsold year after year.

When it comes to the other pieces of your puzzle, i believe you will find out the answers yourself within these 6months.

Buena Suerte

This is the best comment and advise on this thread!!!
Si. Buena Suerte.
I've been married to a Dominicana for 10 yrs. this December. We have a home in north Santo Domingo and another, mid country in the Campo. Yet, I spend most of my time in the States.
I know several Americans and several Italians with Dominican wives that have had businesses in the DR.(tourist areas). Hope you speak fluent Spanish.
Hope you are not giving up a good job to move to the DR. It was far easier for a gringo there 7-13 yrs. ago.
Depending when you move?? You'll figure things out in 3-6 mos.