life as an ex-pat living in the campo in the DR

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I am reading the most wonderful book " What about the saucepans".. It's about an English woman who seeks adventure and finds the Dominican Republic...and settles there... the stories hit so close to home.. I have been going back and forth for a number of years and have seen some things in the DR.. I ve seen a bit about campo life having stayed there with friends .. the stories in this book confirm everything I have always said to myself about the Dominican republic.. some good , some a bit bad.. but all so easily recognizable if you have ever spent any time at all there.. I found myself going " oh yeh, THAT' S why they do that," and " alright, now I get it " .. reading that others had gone through the mill a bit like myself was somehow liberating., but now I see sometimes the cultural differences that made things look worse than they are , are really not so bad at all it just takes a little understanding......and everyone from outside just needs to give it time and let things go,,,,,, I recommend this book .. you will laugh, you will cry, but you will have a clear sense of what it is like to be a Brit, or a Yank or a Canadian or whatever, in la Republica.....

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Glad to see another person who like M's work as much as we do. Join the crowd! Hahaha

drescape24