Cat just attacked by 2 of our dogs

We have our cats and a few dogs separated and 2 of our dogs just attacked my favorite sweet cat. The dogs are some fierce breeds. I know it's my fault, it's not the dogs that we rescued Fault, I didn't know they were on the other side of the door and they charged in at her. No Animal emergency so we just got meds that the vet said to get.

My point is can YOU PRAY my cat is ok??!!

I don't care how crazy you may think I am, My wife and I love this Cat more than anything.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Harley, I sympathize with you, I have cats too. Is the cat hurt pretty bad? Yes, I will pray that she'll be okay. I'm sorry to hear about what happened.:(

Only a bit of blood on her foot but she isn't moving much. I'm sure she is in shock, they both had her in their mouth so i am afraid of internal stuff going on. I thought she was paralyzed at first because she wasn't moving but that could just be shock??
She has taken a few steps...but is just laying there panting :-(

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
We have our cats and a few dogs separated and 2 of our dogs just attacked my favorite sweet cat. The dogs are some fierce breeds. I know it's my fault, it's not the dogs that we rescued Fault, I didn't know they were on the other side of the door and they charged in at her. No Animal emergency so we just got meds that the vet said to get.

I don't care how crazy you may think I am, My wife and I love this Cat more than anything.

You are not crazy and I do pray for your cat. I had a dog who died horrifically in front of me and it was one of the worst days of my life. My thoughts are with you and I hope your cat gets better...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know what you are going through. our dogs and cats do not go together well and i am also worried that one day something may happen.

when my cat was sick i managed - thanks to dr1ers - to get hold of doctor bob in sosua and he helped us a lot over the phone. let me know if you need his number.

check the cat well to see if she can move all her limbs. check inside her mouth to see if there is any blood. watch over her during the night. maybe even lock her up so she cannot run away, she may want to, if she is in shock. take her to the vet as soon as you can tomorrow. fingers crossed. cats are very tough. they have nine lives after all.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Vet Tech

Hey HR,

Whats wrong with the cat? Punture wounds? cuts? bleeding? Can you post a photo?? I'm cleaning up my flock of birds now, just saw this...I will check back for your reply...Also, What did the Vet tell you to use?? Bayrtil??

Anthony

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Our daughter has a little bichon, and he experienced a traumatic event that I won't get into. He limped a bit for almost a week, but he was traumatized as your kitty is, laid around and shook, they held him a lot. Took about 5 days before his 'personality' was back to normal. If the cat isn't physically injured, it may still take some time.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Yes, sounds like shock which can be a good thing sometimes. She is moving, great sign she will bounce back. just scared!!! Keep her warm, you can sleep with her to make her feel very comfortable and secure..Feeling secure is important to her right now..If you have a heating pad, would be a good idea to lay a towel over it, her on top, not too hot of course..Are you able to take her temp?? Can use a regular thermometer, only place just past the chrome part into her rear or whatever you have 1/2 inch or so, put vaseline on it first, clean with alcohol before & after...Norm temp is 99..If low, like I said, keep her warm, maintain her body temp, very important

If you have Pedialyte, and happen to have a syringe, give her some by the corner of her mouth..If not, try a spoon, open her mouth with pointer and thumb at each corner of the mouth and dump it in, not so fast, but a good speed so to speak..A syringe is better because all you need is to pull away the side of the cheek and release, she will swallow no problem...This will help to keep her hydrated and her energy up for healing etc..

I will be back later, maybe 45 minutes or so, need to finish my birds etc...

God Bless!!!

Anthony

Only a bit of blood on her foot but she isn't moving much. I'm sure she is in shock, they both had her in their mouth so i am afraid of internal stuff going on. I thought she was paralyzed at first because she wasn't moving but that could just be shock??
She has taken a few steps...but is just laying there panting :-(

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Ohhh poor thing. Probably is shock and just took a lot out of her energy wise. But have her checked just in case. Hope she is better soon.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
my careful advice would be not to feed her now. if there is any internal damage and she needs surgery it is better to have it done on an empty stomach.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Sorry, I'm thinking straight here..Temp is 100-102...Keep her on the 102 side, monitor her while on the heating pad for any panting, means too hot..Start off low temp if adjustable

Yes, sounds like shock which can be a good thing sometimes. She is moving, great sign she will bounce back. just scared!!! Keep her warm, you can sleep with her to make her feel very comfortable and secure..Feeling secure is important to her right now..If you have a heating pad, would be a good idea to lay a towel over it, her on top, not too hot of course..Are you able to take her temp?? Can use a regular thermometer, only place just past the chrome part into her rear or whatever you have 1/2 inch or so, put vaseline on it first, clean with alcohol before & after...Norm temp is 99..If low, like I said, keep her warm, maintain her body temp, very important

If you have Pedialyte, and happen to have a syringe, give her some by the corner of her mouth..If not, try a spoon, open her mouth with pointer and thumb at each corner of the mouth and dump it in, not so fast, but a good speed so to speak..A syringe is better because all you need is to pull away the side of the cheek and release, she will swallow no problem...This will help to keep her hydrated and her energy up for healing etc..

I will be back later, maybe 45 minutes or so, need to finish my birds etc...

God Bless!!!

Anthony

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Correct 8, NPO for 24 hours or until seen by a VET...Sorry to skip around here HR..just busy right now, leaving for SD at 6 AM getting up at 4 AM or maybe just stay awake, but will post ya back when I can

my careful advice would be not to feed her now. if there is any internal damage and she needs surgery it is better to have it done on an empty stomach.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
HR, how is she?? Here is a list of what I would do and/or have treated

1- heating pad, temp for Cats 100 -102

2- Pedialyte. 1 teaspoon every hour, get a syringe at the pharma 1 teaspoon is 4-5 CC's depending on the spoon, not important, its not medicine..

3- Baytril, Atropine, and Dextramethasone liquid form, not pill

3.1 Baytril Dosage: Need approx Cat's weight...MG is the same as 1 CC / divided 3 of Cats weight is her dosage..
Cats: This is a simple antibiotic for infections, bacteria, broad spectrum really which covers many kinds of infections/bacterias, use it on my birds when sick.
For susceptible infections:
a) 5- 20 mg/kg per day PO, may be given once daily or divided and given twice daily
(q12h). Treatment should continue for at least 2-3 days beyond cessation of clinical
signs, to a maximum duration of therapy is 30 days. (Package insert; Baytril??Bayer)
b) Enrofloxacin: 2.5 - 5 mg/kg PO or IM q12 h
Avoid or reduce dosage of these drugs in animals with severe renal failure; avoid in
young animals or in pregnant or breeding animals (Vaden and Papich 1995)

3.2 Atropine Dosage: suppose to be IM, you can pop one drop in mouth..This is if your cat has a low heart beat from shock, you can tell belive me..If not, leave her be..No idea if they sell this at the Pharma or not..
Cats:
As a preanesthetic adjuvant:
a) 0.022 - 0.044 mg/kg IM or SQ (Muir ))
b) 0.074 mg/kg IV, IM or SQ (Package Insert; Atropine Injectable, S.A. - Fort Dodge)
c) 0.02 - 0.04 mg/kg SQ, IM or IV (Morgan 1988)
For treatment of bradycardias:
a) 0.022 - 0.044 mg/kg IM, SQ, or IV prn; or 0.04 mg/kg PO tid-qid (Morgan 1988)
b) 0.02 - 0.04 mg/kg SQ, IM or IV q4-6h (Miller 1985)
For treatment of cholinergic toxicity:
a) 0.2 - 2.0 mg/kg ; give 1/4th of the dose IV and the remainder SQ or IM (Morgan 1988

3.3 Dextramethasone 5CC divided by 3 by weight....That's the dosage, maybe 0.05 CC, one drop PO/Mouth...This is a steroid like Prednisone, used for many things, also shock and Inflammation..I actually use this for my nerve pain and had to use it on one of my birds with head trauma, works very well!!
Cats:
For endotoxic or septicemic shock:
a) Dexamethasone sodium succinate: 5 mg/kg IV (Jenkins 1985)
As adjunctive therapy for feline neoplasias (lymphosarcoma, acute lymphoid

I still have my medical books from school, and I know medications, so that is my advice...Or, again, just keep her body temp up, be sure she is not dehydrated and gether to a VET asap tomorrow unless there is a 24/7 open now..You can check for dehydration by pulling her fur just after the neck area, see if it stay up, or goes down slow. If so, she is dehydrated and needs fluids, if it goes right down,she is fine..Again, pedialyte is the way to go because it also has electrolytes in it..You can check for shock at her gums..If white or pale grey she is shocked, if pink no worries..

Anthony

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
PS....If you find a Pharma open and IF your cat is very dehydrated, also pick up Lactated Ringer's, and Dextrose, drug stores should have that here, plastic bag, same for us..get s syringe with needle, draw 3/4 of the way with LR, the rest with Dextrose until the syringe is full, whatever is easiest for you to handle the syringe. Take her fur, starting at the neck area on top, pull it up just a little, insert needle with a somewhat quick prick, will not hurt her, and push the fluid in, this will feel just a little strange to her, but no pain. You will need to do this if she is dehydrated bad which you will see upon the test I advised you about..Keep going, spacing around every 4 inches or so right before the butt/pelvic area, stop there...So you can get her fliuds up very quickly if need to be, same as if she had an IV in place...Chck her gums every 20 minutes to see if they are pink, keep checking for hydration...And again, pedialyte would be key if she will drink enough, but doubt it. Also, if she seems out of it, open her mouth, check her tounge, where is it? you don't want her to choke..If you can, pull her tongue to the front and out of her mouth a bit, same as some cats sleep, close her mouth..If you cannot grab it and have a gauze pad, use that..We always use those for surgery when taking the tongues away because they can be very slippery..

If you can post us back a bit, please do so..

Anthony