would going into the taxi business a great way to make money?

Status
Not open for further replies.

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013
i'm just opening this topic to have a friendly discussion, in no way am i actually trying to get a company like this started but after having many conversations with drivers and getting killed by advertisements of phone numbers i was wondering if this really is something to get rich of.

i sometimes just let my mind just thinking WHAT IF!

if i had a taxi company i would get new cars, not those old dirty rotten cars you see.

i would set up a service for ladies clients only with lady drivers.

i would (like in usa) have a sign on top of my cars for sponsors.

i mean these are just thoughts, but after having a couple of conversations with drivers saying they only make around 1000 to 1500 per day, i mean, i don't know!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you did it, and it worked well, you would soon have 3 to 5 competitors doing the same thing. So the answer is, no it would not work well.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I like the idea. Any business idea that does well will soon get competition, but competition can always be beaten with brains and hard work.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Unless you joined an existing taxi union (syndicate), you will have issues with broken windshields and slashed tires.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
pink guaguas

Always thought I would like to have a pink guagua with a lady driver and a lady shover for ladies only! Just a wierd dream tho!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
try this one;

get an RV. offer tours around the island. make a route, with food stops, stops at car washes, and other places of interest.(if your group is mongers) if it is history buffs, make a trip to historical places of interest. get a reliable driver, and designated stops where you have security, and can connect to the mains..if you get 6 people, you can make decent scratch

like it, anyone?

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
try this one;

get an RV. offer tours around the island. make a route, with food stops, stops at car washes, and other places of interest.(if your group is mongers) if it is history buffs, make a trip to historical places of interest. get a reliable driver, and designated stops where you have security, and can connect to the mains..if you get 6 people, you can make decent scratch

like it, anyone?

I like it alot, Jimmydr can be the bus driver!

24zkdx0.jpg

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013
If you did it, and it worked well, you would soon have 3 to 5 competitors doing the same thing. So the answer is, no it would not work well.

maybe, maybe not, i don't have the money to buy 10 brand new cars at this moment, a lot of people also don't have!

i think those who have money invest in other businesses, that's why if you have the money it might be something worth doing just to stand out! i mean, all these dominicans here are used to messed up looking cars but it would be fresh to call a company that would only provide you safe, comfortable and good looking cars.

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013
Always thought I would like to have a pink guagua with a lady driver and a lady shover for ladies only! Just a wierd dream tho!

no it's not, the stand out factore is huge! i like it! (see us on the streets in 2 years with this! :p)

it would be ladies only and childeren.

toriemannetje

Aug 30, 2013
try this one;

like it, anyone?

if you make a plan, go to all the hotels to see if you can promote it, then just see what the turn out will be, but then again i think after a while the hotels would get their own services.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
first, you would need to kill juan hubieres and place his head on the bonnet on one of the cars as a trophy and a warning. but even then i do not think it would work. female drivers is a no no. average dominican woman is about 150 cm tall, which is roughly as much as a sitting dog. her strength and built is on average that of a chihuahua. she will be seen as an easy target, seeing that she has cash with her, is small and weak and will never engage in any form of fight because she's just been to the salon and don't-touch-my-hair-or-nails. as another woman i would not feel safe with a female driver.

sure, it would be great to have one of those big butted gals in a bikini and a chauffeur's hat drive you around. but then your ideal clients would be men. and in this light you can just as well inquire about renting passions in sosua.

safe taxis are a great idea in general. but a woman feels more protected when driven by a man. put him in a suit, program him to speak only when spoken to, make the whole business appeal as super professional, bodyguard type of thing. then maybe. but then what would you charge? if the same as other taxis you will not make enough money. if more, you may not have enough clients as ricos have their own drivers for women in the family.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
try this one;

like it, anyone?

I like that idea!

drescape24

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
first, you would need to kill juan hubieres and place his head on the bonnet on one of the cars as a trophy and a warning. but even then i do not think it would work. female drivers is a no no. average dominican woman is about 150 cm tall, which is roughly as much as a sitting dog. her strength and built is on average that of a chihuahua. she will be seen as an easy target, seeing that she has cash with her, is small and weak and will never engage in any form of fight because she's just been to the salon and don't-touch-my-hair-or-nails. as another woman i would not feel safe with a female driver.

sure, it would be great to have one of those big butted gals in a bikini and a chauffeur's hat drive you around. but then your ideal clients would be men. and in this light you can just as well inquire about renting passions in sosua.

safe taxis are a great idea in general. but a woman feels more protected when driven by a man. put him in a suit, program him to speak only when spoken to, make the whole business appeal as super professional, bodyguard type of thing. then maybe. but then what would you charge? if the same as other taxis you will not make enough money. if more, you may not have enough clients as ricos have their own drivers for women in the family.

would it be too much to ask you not to post when i am having breakfast? i am still choking. thanks.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
i'm just opening this topic to have a friendly discussion, in no way am i actually trying to get a company like this started but after having many conversations with drivers and getting killed by advertisements of phone numbers i was wondering if this really is something to get rich of.

i sometimes just let my mind just thinking WHAT IF!

if i had a taxi company i would get new cars, not those old dirty rotten cars you see.

i would set up a service for ladies clients only with lady drivers.

i would (like in usa) have a sign on top of my cars for sponsors.

i mean these are just thoughts, but after having a couple of conversations with drivers saying they only make around 1000 to 1500 per day, i mean, i don't know!

Are you a very well connected Dominican? Have somebody watching your back that has a lot of clout?

Don't you think others have had the same idea, people with money to invest?

The transportation union in this country is very, very powerful. How much competition do you think they will welcome?

How many of the people that seem to be giving encouragement would use their own money to set up such a business if they had the money that they could invest if they chose to?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Are you a very well connected Dominican? Have somebody watching your back that has a lot of clout?

Don't you think others have had the same idea, people with money to invest?

The transportation union in this country is very, very powerful. How much competition do you think they will welcome?

How many of the people that seem to be giving encouragement would use their own money to set up such a business if they had the money that they could invest if they chose to?

exactly, Ken. my buddy is going to buy a Mack trailer head, and get into the freight business. that is because his father in law has the licenses, and will be the front man. otherwise, he would not even have considered it. i can just see a gringo trying to set up a cab company here. yeah..sure..

Status
Not open for further replies.