keeping chickens for eggs

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Am tired of getting semi fresh and rotten eggs! I want my own laying hens for fresh eggs! In Canada we would build a little coop,- with a fenced in yard, throw in 6 layers and have 5-6 fresh eggs a day. I understand that here they are not so prolific but I can always keep 12 of them.

As an added bonus those hens eat all your kitchen scraps and leftovers that are breeding flies in my garbage bin.

Anybody keeping hens for eggs?

flopsy

Jul 6, 2010
Hi we did but as you said not very prolific, we didn't know they were not very prolific thought it was just us doing something wrong. Built them a big rabbit run, plenty of space (couldn't run free have dogs) fed the best of food, treated like royalty, maybe that was the problem treated too well. Anyway cost us a small fortune, lots of work, to keep them from smelling, running out every time it rained to cover them up. Anyway had them about a year not ONE single egg. You might be better at it than us, GOOD LUCK!

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
Dont you need a rooster too ? My parents have been doing this as long as i kan remember they have around 8 chickens and a rooster. They say its needed to make them produce eggs. I also love the fake egg trick to make em produce eggs sometimes they dont want to produce, or sometimes they destroy the eggs cuz lack of calcium and such.

Their chickens produce eggs for our family and grandmother who lives 2 houses next to them. Neven pay for eggs :)

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Ha ha,- don't need a rooster to get eggs! You need one to get fertilized eggs but the chickens will lay whether they have a rooster or not. Course, I can't say that the hens wouldn't be happier with a rooster----------

I lay one egg a month,- whether i have the rooster around or not

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
we have 3 chickens and a rooster... about 3 eggs a day, but there are some weeks they do not lay. According to our gardener this is perfectly normal.

BelgianK

Bunty Miller

Aug 26, 2013
Don,t you have to stop the rooster fertilizing the eggs. I think he is usually kept separated but close by unless you want red spots in your egg.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Backyard chickens are the latest thing in the city of Vernon BC, Canada. You are allowed 6 chickens but no rooster. So my sister has her 6 hens that she adores especially since she gets 5 eggs a day from the darlins. She has sent me 4 books on the subject! Which I'm sure would be really helpful for out here!
Thats why I'm seeking info from you great people and also talking to all the people who live around me. Once they stop laughing they just shake their heads,- another crazy gringo!

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
But dont the chickens produce more eggs with a rooster around ? We had times when we didnt had a rooster anymore and they lay less eggs than with a rooster around