International calling options in the DR

Mike_PM

Oct 3, 2013
Hi, forum members. I may be in the DR for a little while, and I would like to get your opinions on international calling options there. Specifically, what is the cheapest reliable (i.e. a 30-60 min call won't be dropped) method for making and receiving calls to/from the US?

I know that a lot of people use Skype, but the internet connection at the place where I will be staying will be spotty at best. I also do not want to use internet cafes or public locales for phone calls.

My phone company (T-Mobile) recommended that I get my phone unlocked and buy a SIM card that's native to the DR. If I were to go that route, what option would I then use for cheap communications with the US? What alternatives are there to this method?

Thank you.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
There are several threads here about it.
Bottom line is yes, with an unlocked cell phone you can insert a SIM card from any local telco and you'll be OK. If you plan to use data you need to check frequencies to be able to get 3G.
US calls are priced the same as local calls, as far as I know. Unless the place you'll be staying has poor signal, calls should not drop. To recieve calls, just dial +1 in front of your local number, just as you would do to call a different state.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Magic Jack. Buy it and you get one year unlimited calls to and from the US. Works well here, and you can use a real phone to call.

Mike_PM

Oct 3, 2013
Thank you for your replies!

Regarding magicJack, will it work with a phone outlet that's not currently associated with an active phone line/number (i.e. an apartment has a phone jack, but does not have phone service)? Also, there seem to be a lot of complaints about this company's level of customer service, and about multiple-billing, etc. Any substance to this, or is it run-of-the-mill incidental bad experiences with a given product and company?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I use a magicjack in the DR to call the USA. It plugs into a USB port in your computer, and has a phone jack on the other end that you can plug a regular phone into. You can also use the microphone and speaker from a laptop, but nowhere as clear.

Sometimes the connection is outstandingly good, like the person is sitting next to you. Sometimes it's scratchy on one or the other ends. Can't beat the price though.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I use Magic jack without a phone; just a headset plugged into a USB port. I have had it for 3 years and should do a commercial for them. Works great all over the world and I also use it when in the states instead of my cell phone. A few years back renewed for 5 years. I have used their customer service, not often, with no issues. There are also knowledgeable forums for MJ.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Thank you for your replies!

Regarding magicJack, will it work with a phone outlet that's not currently associated with an active phone line/number (i.e. an apartment has a phone jack, but does not have phone service)? Also, there seem to be a lot of complaints about this company's level of customer service, and about multiple-billing, etc. Any substance to this, or is it run-of-the-mill incidental bad experiences with a given product and company?

As others have said you only need a router for it to work. Does not use phone lines. The Magic Jack Plus, which is the new one is simply plugged into an active router and a regular phone is plugged into it and you are good to go. The set up does require a computer. You get to pick your area code in the US. Any one you want.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Of course it does. You do need an Internet connection for it to work. No one said different. Otherwise it would be a small miracle.
Here is a good forum to look at.

Problem is, OP stated he doesn't have a reliable internet connection and prefers other methods of communication.

Mike_PM

Oct 3, 2013
Thanks for the clarification. I believe that I may have misunderstood the mechanism by which the magicJack works - I thought that you plug it into a standard phone jack. I will have an internet connection there, but it is a (very spotty) wi-fi connection that is available to the entire building complex. I won't have physical access to the router. Given the duration of my stay, it will not be worthwhile to activate personal high-speed internet service, nor phone service for the apartment. Thus, it seems that the magicJack option may not be viable.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thanks for the clarification. I believe that I may have misunderstood the mechanism by which the magicJack works - I thought that you plug it into a standard phone jack. I will have an internet connection there, but it is a (very spotty) wi-fi connection that is available to the entire building complex. I won't have physical access to the router. Given the duration of my stay, it will not be worthwhile to activate personal high-speed internet service, nor phone service for the apartment. Thus, it seems that the magicJack option may not be viable.

Another option:
You can go to a Claro store, and buy one of their USB internet sticks, you pay by the month. I think I paid about 3000 pesos [$75???] for the stick and 2 months of internet, 5 GB. I only used about 3 in two months, and magic jack was used all the time, calls coming in and going out.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
You can also get prepaid data for a month for your cell phone (I think around 1,500 DOP) and use that connection to provide your own wifi for your laptop. I don't know if MagicJack would work in those conditions, though.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
But one is supposed to sign a 24 month contract for that.Right?

I don't know about Claro, but Orange has the same with NO contract. You put some money up and they only charge you for a 24 hour period. Even if you don't use it for a few months when you do if the money is there it will work. They give you a phone number that you can place money on it from the standard refill machines. But a land line connection is much better than this. I bought one for a back up and rarely use it. But it does work.

Mike_PM

Oct 3, 2013
Thanks for the additional suggestions!

Regarding the wireless USB stick/prepaid data options - do the connections tend to be reliable? If I'm not mistaken, the reliability tends to vary by locale, right? Can anyone comment on the reliability/quality of these services in Semana/Las Terrenas? Thank you.

Mike_PM

Oct 3, 2013
Usually says that I am connected at 54 megabubbles or whatever they are and signal strength Excellent, but is unable to open any pages. I can be on for 20 minutes and then it goes bad on me or maybe 3 hours.

Thanks, Derfish. That just about describes the quality of the internet connection at the complex where I'm staying as well. If that's the case, perhaps the SIM card is the better option.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The cheapest price for calling you will get it with VIVA, pre-paid price per minute is 7.52 tax included to any number in Dominican Republic, USA, Canada or Puerto Rico, also you have the option to add 1 favorite number in USA, Canada or Puerto Rico where first minute they charge 7.52 pesos and after first minutes the charge is 3.90 pesos tax included per minute, also 2 VIVA numbers as favorite where the first minute cost 7.52 pesos and after the first minute the call is unlimited free.

Mike_PM

Oct 3, 2013
Thanks, Riva. That sounds like a good option for outgoing calls, but what about incoming calls?