Learning English

gas

Jul 28, 2013
Best/cheapest option for someone living in Los Alcarrizos, SD?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
If she has an internet connection, why not try Open English? I hear it's very good

Open English - Online English School with Guaranteed Fluency

tumblr_lsx5wcvaPb1qerlpho1_500.jpg

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
I heard from people open english isnt that good, funny commercials though :D

I thought at a private school in santiago its rediculous people having 2 hours of english and french for 4 years at least and at the end they dont know nothing and have to take private lessons in an institution.

I love learning languages :) kinda hard when you master one but dont have nobody to speak it with anymore.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I, "Killed Two "Birds" With One Stone", when I came to the DR.
I slept with prostitutes, and learned "Dominicanish" from them!
"Win/Win/Win" situation!
First phrase I ever learned was, "Cono, Maldito Tacano Gringo".
Probably because I heard it every night!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
ps, the "Pay for me to learn "Engless" so we can better understand each other", is just a dominican scam to get your "Dinero" anyway!!
Have you heard ,"Mi Madre is in the hospital, and will soon die without your help" yet ?????????????

Aug 6, 2006
As a language prof for 42 years, I can say this. To learn a language there are basically three steps.

(1) Learn the words (understanding, speaking, reading writing). Flashcards are a cheap way to do this. Get any textbook and use the basic vocabulary given.
(2) Learn how to change the words (pluralize nouns, conjugate verbs) and how to arrange them into sentences.
(3) Practice with native speakers. Find someone wants to learn Spanish and trade your help at this for thier help at learning English. Two or three 1 hour sessions per week would be a good minimum.

For a Dominican to learn how to pronounce English will be a lot harder than it will be for an English speaker to learn Spanish. English has 42 to 45 different sounds, Spanish 21 to 23. English spelling is horribly illogical, Spanish spelling is nearly phonetic.

Pimsleur was a great teacher, but the crap being sold under his name will NOT do what it claims to do. It might help you to ask the questions, but it will do very little to help you understand the answers. There are a LOT of programs that whip Pimsleur's ass.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Spend time overseas (English-speaking country). If not an option, become obsessed. If the individual is motivated enough, he/she will learn (they will create the necessary learning environment). The converse, however, is also true.