it's the greed, stupid!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
and interesting article in the economy - where else - section of hoy. the president of ONEC (organizaci?n nacional de empresas comerciales alerts the public yet again about this unjust an evil situation of charging no taxes for bringing in goods of value less that 200 dollars. he quotes enormous loss for the budget and the dangers of growing unemployment if this vile setup continues.
ONEC: exenci?n compras internet har? perder 100 mil empleos en 3 a?os - Hoy

i think i am foaming at the mouth right now. the reason people bring in things, the reason i shop on the internet is that the greed of local sellers is asphyxiating. i have not bought clothing in DR in 5 years or so. the same with cosmetic. and some foods, despite their availability on a local market. books, shoes, electronics, all bought over the internet and shipped. even with courier charges (EPS) it's still way cheaper than the very same product sold in DR. and damn, a local seller does not buy the items individually, like me. he buys wholesale, at even lower prices. why charge several times over?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i am setting up a business mail account, and once i have it, i will be buying toilet paper abroad.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know this dominican guy who works with miesposo. he is very smart, well read, PUCMM professor (among other gigs he does). and very undominican when it comes to his lifestyle. he does nearly all his shopping over the internet with the exception of fresh produce. we are getting there too. our only local shopping is food and some basics but i am starting to think more of our shopping should be done online. this is not to spite local economy. it's to survive financially.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
i seen a 29 dollar blinder in ole for 100 and it was a older model.every time i fly out there my bag is full of house stuff and little clothing

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
see, you think too dominican now. i could buy tomato paste, maybe better than victorina, organic, all natural, whatever. but i am not talking about perishable products. i am talking about stuff like wild rice. a lot cheaper online. "exotic" flours for baking. variety of gluten free stuff available in DR at cut throat prices. i am talking beauty products like a variety of liquid soaps, body lotions and so on.

we just came back from europe. we brought two large suitcases and two small ones full of stuff. from chocolates to ham. lots of cosmetics for me. quality underwear. i regret not bringing more...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
So what? Let them cancel the exemption I will still continue to buy online instead the rubbish in their shops...

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
yep i do the same different body wash soap regular soap lotion shower cap all the small stuff. can any one bring raw frozen food over with out a problem

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
yeah, and at least when you shop online, you don't have six people just walk straight in front of you as if you were invisible..

lol why do people walk in front of you when your online.i had that done to me every time im in a store

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
1/3 of my suitcase is stuff. This trip is towels, sheets, tv wall mount, and items for friends.

drescape24

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
90% of my suitcase is stuff. i got to the point where i take minimum clothing (i can always do the laundry) and i even leave some winter ropa behind (so i can take more stuff to DR now and use even less luggage space next time since i have something to wear stashed at home). i am a master at packing too, within ounces of the airline limit.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Danilo already settled this early this year. Removing the exemption goes against DR-CAFTA and gringos in the US not happy about it. So, it's a waste of time ro go over this again. If they are doing so badly, they can always close and do something else. They won't be missed.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think there is a point to this. danilo is seen, more and more, as the man of the pueblo. someone who wants to make dominicans happy. and presenting tax exemption issue as harmful to dominican people, to padres de famila, to amas de la casa - this is putting this matter in a different light.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Crumbs

The businessmen know the government is not going to tax the under $200 imports. It cannot. They are whining to get attention so the government will throw them a crumb of some sort to make them go away.

Regards,

PJT