Puerto Rican Student

XavierPR

Oct 4, 2013
Hey everyone i have a few questions regarding the PUCMM. First a little about me im 18 and i am in my 3rd year of Information Systems: Computer programming bachelors degree but next semesters i will be getting a 2 year associates degree in biotechnology and then i will proceed to finish my bachelor in IS:CP. After i finish my bachelor's i intend to apply to the PUCMM my first question would be if the courses that i have taken over here in Puerto Rico will be convalidated over there i have a 3.90 gpa. My second question would be what are the USMLE pass rates of the PUCMM and finally would be how are the apartments over there how expensive mostly studios and how close they are to the PUCMM...any help will be appreciated and if you have nothing positive to say please dont bother thank you!

ps:sorry if this is the wrong forum! =/

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hey everyone i have a few questions regarding the PUCMM. First a little about me im 18 and i am in my 3rd year of Information Systems: Computer programming bachelors degree but next semesters i will be getting a 2 year associates degree in biotechnology and then i will proceed to finish my bachelor in IS:CP. After i finish my bachelor's i intend to apply to the PUCMM my first question would be if the courses that i have taken over here in Puerto Rico will be convalidated over there i have a 3.90 gpa. My second question would be what are the USMLE pass rates of the PUCMM and finally would be how are the apartments over there how expensive mostly studios and how close they are to the PUCMM...any help will be appreciated and if you have nothing positive to say please dont bother thank you!

ps:sorry if this is the wrong forum! =/

first thing to consider is where you want to work when you get done, and if a degree from PUCMM is recognized there. there was some talk that it had lost some of its accreditations in the USA, but i am not sure in which disciplines. the fact that PUCMM ranks 5250 in the world university rankings does not inspire confidence. not in me, anyway.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Why DR ?

University of Puerto Rico (UPR- Mayaguez) is a very good University, recognized for its science and engineering programs,and you'd get a bilingual education on top of that since the books are in English.
I took 2 classes there in an exchange program and could transfer all my credits back here in the US.

macorisano

Oct 4, 2013
PUCMM's USMLE passing rate is below 75% which is why they lost their eligibility for federal loans. As a matter of fact the only dominican med school still eligible is UNIBE. You can still practice medicine in the US or PR if you graduate from PUCMM because it is still academically accredited.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
3.90 GPA = Good. IT + BioTech = Good. PUCCM = Business. What discipline/degree w/you be applying for @ PUCCM? Assuming that you want to continue to develop in your chosen fields and that PUCCM offers what you are looking for, I don't think there will be a problem transfering your credits. Moreover, since my understanding is that PUCCM is a private school, ergo, you will be paying tuition, you will have leverage negotiating transference of any credits that might fall in gray area (you want as much credit towards your PUCCM degree as possible and those that do not apply to be transcribed as electives). Finally, I second the gorgon to a point: Although final landing destination (if that be known) is important in your line of questioning, more important is to finish what you start. Whatever its resume, PUCCM is college/university level education. You are at least Suma Cum Laude. Moreover, the combination of BioTech and Computer Science/Information Technology is a beckoning field that will not be short of demand for well-tooled employment seekers in the foreseeable future. Stay focused and good luck.

Fellow Boricua.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Why DR ?

University of Puerto Rico (UPR- Mayaguez) is a very good University, recognized for its science and engineering programs,and you'd get a bilingual education on top of that since the books are in English.
I took 2 classes there in an exchange program and could transfer all my credits back here in the US.

You are right A, but it seems that the OP is compelled for some reason to make the relocation. I can't see why he/she would eschew the choice of UPR otherwise (it certainly fits his/her chosen disciplines far better than business oriented PUCCM).

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
PUCMM's USMLE passing rate is below 75% which is why they lost their eligibility for federal loans. As a matter of fact the only dominican med school still eligible is UNIBE. You can still practice medicine in the US or PR if you graduate from PUCMM because it is still academically accredited.

Low pass rate could be interpreted as that you have to earn your degree. A danger exists when students are awarded degrees in critical professional areas but are ill-equipped to handle the rigors of their profession.

macorisano

Oct 4, 2013
Low pass rate could be interpreted as that you have to earn your degree. A danger exists when students are awarded degrees in critical professional areas but are ill-equipped to handle the rigors of their profession.

The students ARE earning their degrees but they're NOT passing the USMLE Step 1. Basically they graduate from PUCCM, UCE or UCNE but can't do residency in the US until they pass the exam. Thus, Uncle Sam said no more loans for them since they won't be able to pay them back.