What is the penalty if a person is caught stealing electricity?

Dan Spinnover

Nov 1, 2010
Fellow DR1'ers,

I share a building with two electric meters with a colmado. Recenty the management of the colmado changed, and around the same time my electric bill doubled.

It's plain to see that their taking my electricity. Their meter numbers do not move, while mine moves at a pretty good clip. I called the electric company for a reclamation.

What is the next step? Do you think that they'll haul their thieving asses to prison, or will it just be a slap on the wrist?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
From what I've seen, not much of a penalty.

Someone we know of in SD does it all the time, they come and disconnect the wires, and by the afternoon the wire is back.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
show the guy from the colmado what is happenening and ask him what he/she thinks..........and then ask what should happen. slowly slowly catchee monkey here in my short experience. you have to let him figure it out and make him look good. Then, do whatever you can to secure your electricity line. If the electricity is in your name, then you could ask the electric company to move the meter somewhere where you can secure the line into your property. If he is using your electric,it must be after the meter obviously, so inside your property or somewhere in a cage or something......

dave

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i remember living in an apartment building once, in the bad old days when you could buy a cable decoder in the street. this Dominican guy moved in nextdoor, and the first night he was there i noticed issues with my reception for a while, then it went back to normal. turns out that the guy just went on the roof and spliced a cable off my feed. no asking, or anything. he just did it because he was entitled to it. i told the building management, and they got him to disconnect it. he never spoke to me for 18 months.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Fellow DR1'ers,

I share a building with two electric meters with a colmado. Recenty the management of the colmado changed, and around the same time my electric bill doubled.

It's plain to see that their taking my electricity. Their meter numbers do not move, while mine moves at a pretty good clip. I called the electric company for a reclamation.

What is the next step? Do you think that they'll haul their thieving asses to prison, or will it just be a slap on the wrist?

They won't do $hit, it's time for you to be a tigrue. ;)

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Fellow DR1'ers,

No, tell the electric company that you think some body is conected to your line, they will send somebody to inspect the conections, if they find some one is conected they will put a fine to the one is conected on your line.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
No, tell the electric company that you think some body is conected to your line, they will send somebody to inspect the conections, if they find some one is conected they will put a fine to the one is conected on your line.

even if you are a gringo, and the guy hacking you is a local? really?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we had all our neighbours stealing from us in the pharmacy. a cousin who is a contratista with ladronorte came and ripped our entire connection apart. he disconnected everyone and then made it nearly impossible for them to connect again. they also did not talk to us for a while.

Dan Spinnover

Nov 1, 2010
Interesting stories in this thread.

As I mentioned, there is a reclamation on it now. The electric company said to call next week. We'll see what happens next.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Interesting stories in this thread.

As I mentioned, there is a reclamation on it now. The electric company said to call next week. We'll see what happens next.

And when you call next week they'll tell you to call the following week.:tired: You'll be given the run around.:classic:

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
My policy always is to do the right and lawful thing first. It that doesn't work, try the friendly route. Then if all fails, you can get to their level but knowing that at their level they will always be better than you, given their experience.
I don't care if they think I'm a palomo, because I know who the palomos are.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
do the right thing. Find out when they read the meter. The day after the read go and connect your line to his. The day before
the read re-connect him normally. Then sit back and see how long it takes him to figure it out. "Everyone" steals the electric
in the DR. In some cities there are no electric meters on shacks as the electric company knows the residents cannot pay. If you
are not an amateur electrician then you can pay someone to do the wiring for you.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
I used to live in a building with 18 electricity meters. The building had 24 apartments, a travel agency, the DGII office and some smaller offices. Say no more, someone had la luz for free.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
As I said in another post back feed his service and fry all his electrical items. When he confronts you so play dumb and say no mi culpa then ask why we was hooked up to your meter!

drescape24

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
As I said in another post back feed his service and fry all his electrical items. When he confronts you so play dumb and say no mi culpa then ask why we was hooked up to your meter!

drescape24

Right, and then the guy will slash your tires at night or something. I wouldn't go down this road with the guys you live next to.