Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Guitars

  1. #1
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Guitars

    Was putting on some new strings and the low E and A strings makes a buzzing noise when played. It's the first time I pulled out my guitar since coming here and it's been a hard case. The strings were purchased before I left and have been stored in the case.

    I've read that the humidity can warp the neck. So are there any guitar players out there that has adjusted the trust rod themselves or do you know of any guitar shops in SD? ( one that you would trust to know what they are doing)

    My guitar: Electric Washburn, J6

  2. #2
    Silver
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,953
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    This might sound obvious, but have you given the new strings enough time to settle in?
    I've never had any problems with my guitars. No electric, though, just electric accoustic and classic guitars. But isn't the J6 electric accoustic?

  3. Likes RG84 liked this post
  4. #3
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    This might sound obvious, but have you given the new strings enough time to settle in?
    I've never had any problems with my guitars. No electric, though, just electric accoustic and classic guitars. But isn't the J6 electric accoustic?

    Yes the J6 is a semi-hollow body electric. I was thinking about the strings settling in, but I'm getting a strong buzzing sound. How long does it take for the strings to settle in?

  5. #4
    Silver
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,953
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RG84 View Post
    Yes the J6 is a semi-hollow body electric. I was thinking about the strings settling in, but I'm getting a strong buzzing sound. How long does it take for the strings to settle in?
    It depends on how much you use the guitar. The first 2 or 3 days you might need to readjust the tune, by day 4 they should be stretched thin enough to stop hitting the frets or the pickups, if that's the cause. However, a buzzing sound could also come from the pickups themselves and not related to the strings.

  6. Likes RG84 liked this post
  7. #5
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    It depends on how much you use the guitar. The first 2 or 3 days you might need to readjust the tune, by day 4 they should be stretched thin enough to stop hitting the frets or the pickups, if that's the cause. However, a buzzing sound could also come from the pickups themselves and not related to the strings.
    This sound is coming when played, not plugged into an amp. That would rule out the the pickups right?

  8. #6
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    10,170
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Try turning the trust rod counter clockwise slightly. If that doesn't work, try adjusting the bridge. The main thing is to get the strings away from the arm.

    Hope this helps.

    Frank

  9. Likes RG84 liked this post
  10. #7
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    28,748
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I am actually adjusting our guitar players electric guitar at the moment, truss rod, string height, and intonation. The neck on any guitar can change over time. It happened to my Ovation acoustic and I was just able to tighten the truss rod enough to get it back to being playable.

    If you are hearing a buzzing sound or dead notes, then the truss rod probably needs to be tightened a bit.

    I have never had strings "settle in" with regard to getting rid of buzzing or dead notes. Adjustments as mentioned are necessary for those problems. Strings should however stay in tune better after a couple of days.

  11. Likes RG84 liked this post
  12. #8
    Bronze
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    581
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks for the all the help. I'm going to try and adjust the truss rod first. Any body recommend a good music store here in SD?

  13. #9
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,557
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Guitar Alley is right off Parque Independencia opposite Claro HQ on 30 de Marzo.. there are about 10 music stores there.. they have all sorts of guitars.. (not my Taylor and not a lot of high end acoutics.. .. but a good selection of electrics and amps.. They should be able to help you.

    The very big one.. right almost across from Claro.. seem to know what they are about.. but you be the judge.

  14. #10
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,430
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    Guitar Alley is right off Parque Independencia opposite Claro HQ on 30 de Marzo.. there are about 10 music stores there.. they have all sorts of guitars.. (not my Taylor and not a lot of high end acoutics.. .. but a good selection of electrics and amps.. They should be able to help you.

    The very big one.. right almost across from Claro.. seem to know what they are about.. but you be the judge.
    I wonder if they sell the yamaha apx-5a LOLOL.. inside joke to myself I'm a taylor man myself ..214ce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •