Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guitars

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Guitars

Was putting on some new strings and the low E and A strings makes a buzzing noise when played. It's the first time I pulled out my guitar since coming here and it's been a hard case. The strings were purchased before I left and have been stored in the case.

I've read that the humidity can warp the neck. So are there any guitar players out there that has adjusted the trust rod themselves or do you know of any guitar shops in SD? ( one that you would trust to know what they are doing)

My guitar: Electric Washburn, J6

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

This might sound obvious, but have you given the new strings enough time to settle in?
    I've never had any problems with my guitars. No electric, though, just electric accoustic and classic guitars. But isn't the J6 electric accoustic?

3. Likes RG84 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    This might sound obvious, but have you given the new strings enough time to settle in?
    I've never had any problems with my guitars. No electric, though, just electric accoustic and classic guitars. But isn't the J6 electric accoustic?

Yes the J6 is a semi-hollow body electric. I was thinking about the strings settling in, but I'm getting a strong buzzing sound. How long does it take for the strings to settle in?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RG84 View Post
    Yes the J6 is a semi-hollow body electric. I was thinking about the strings settling in, but I'm getting a strong buzzing sound. How long does it take for the strings to settle in?
    It depends on how much you use the guitar. The first 2 or 3 days you might need to readjust the tune, by day 4 they should be stretched thin enough to stop hitting the frets or the pickups, if that's the cause. However, a buzzing sound could also come from the pickups themselves and not related to the strings.

6. Likes RG84 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    It depends on how much you use the guitar. The first 2 or 3 days you might need to readjust the tune, by day 4 they should be stretched thin enough to stop hitting the frets or the pickups, if that's the cause. However, a buzzing sound could also come from the pickups themselves and not related to the strings.
    This sound is coming when played, not plugged into an amp. That would rule out the the pickups right?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Try turning the trust rod counter clockwise slightly. If that doesn't work, try adjusting the bridge. The main thing is to get the strings away from the arm.

Hope this helps.

Frank

9. Likes RG84 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I am actually adjusting our guitar players electric guitar at the moment, truss rod, string height, and intonation. The neck on any guitar can change over time. It happened to my Ovation acoustic and I was just able to tighten the truss rod enough to get it back to being playable.

If you are hearing a buzzing sound or dead notes, then the truss rod probably needs to be tightened a bit.

I have never had strings "settle in" with regard to getting rid of buzzing or dead notes. Adjustments as mentioned are necessary for those problems. Strings should however stay in tune better after a couple of days.

11. Likes RG84 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the all the help. I'm going to try and adjust the truss rod first. Any body recommend a good music store here in SD?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Guitar Alley is right off Parque Independencia opposite Claro HQ on 30 de Marzo.. there are about 10 music stores there.. they have all sorts of guitars.. (not my Taylor and not a lot of high end acoutics.. .. but a good selection of electrics and amps.. They should be able to help you.

The very big one.. right almost across from Claro.. seem to know what they are about.. but you be the judge.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    Guitar Alley is right off Parque Independencia opposite Claro HQ on 30 de Marzo.. there are about 10 music stores there.. they have all sorts of guitars.. (not my Taylor and not a lot of high end acoutics.. .. but a good selection of electrics and amps.. They should be able to help you.

The very big one.. right almost across from Claro.. seem to know what they are about.. but you be the judge.
    I wonder if they sell the yamaha apx-5a LOLOL.. inside joke to myself I'm a taylor man myself ..214ce

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast