Guitars

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Was putting on some new strings and the low E and A strings makes a buzzing noise when played. It's the first time I pulled out my guitar since coming here and it's been a hard case. The strings were purchased before I left and have been stored in the case.

I've read that the humidity can warp the neck. So are there any guitar players out there that has adjusted the trust rod themselves or do you know of any guitar shops in SD? ( one that you would trust to know what they are doing)

My guitar: Electric Washburn, J6

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
This might sound obvious, but have you given the new strings enough time to settle in?
I've never had any problems with my guitars. No electric, though, just electric accoustic and classic guitars. But isn't the J6 electric accoustic?

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
This might sound obvious, but have you given the new strings enough time to settle in?
I've never had any problems with my guitars. No electric, though, just electric accoustic and classic guitars. But isn't the J6 electric accoustic?

Yes the J6 is a semi-hollow body electric. I was thinking about the strings settling in, but I'm getting a strong buzzing sound. How long does it take for the strings to settle in?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Yes the J6 is a semi-hollow body electric. I was thinking about the strings settling in, but I'm getting a strong buzzing sound. How long does it take for the strings to settle in?

It depends on how much you use the guitar. The first 2 or 3 days you might need to readjust the tune, by day 4 they should be stretched thin enough to stop hitting the frets or the pickups, if that's the cause. However, a buzzing sound could also come from the pickups themselves and not related to the strings.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
It depends on how much you use the guitar. The first 2 or 3 days you might need to readjust the tune, by day 4 they should be stretched thin enough to stop hitting the frets or the pickups, if that's the cause. However, a buzzing sound could also come from the pickups themselves and not related to the strings.

This sound is coming when played, not plugged into an amp. That would rule out the the pickups right?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
Try turning the trust rod counter clockwise slightly. If that doesn't work, try adjusting the bridge. The main thing is to get the strings away from the arm.

Hope this helps.

Frank

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am actually adjusting our guitar players electric guitar at the moment, truss rod, string height, and intonation. The neck on any guitar can change over time. It happened to my Ovation acoustic and I was just able to tighten the truss rod enough to get it back to being playable.

If you are hearing a buzzing sound or dead notes, then the truss rod probably needs to be tightened a bit.

I have never had strings "settle in" with regard to getting rid of buzzing or dead notes. Adjustments as mentioned are necessary for those problems. Strings should however stay in tune better after a couple of days.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Thanks for the all the help. I'm going to try and adjust the truss rod first. Any body recommend a good music store here in SD?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Guitar Alley is right off Parque Independencia opposite Claro HQ on 30 de Marzo.. there are about 10 music stores there.. they have all sorts of guitars.. (not my Taylor and not a lot of high end acoutics.. .. but a good selection of electrics and amps.. They should be able to help you.

The very big one.. right almost across from Claro.. seem to know what they are about.. but you be the judge.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
Guitar Alley is right off Parque Independencia opposite Claro HQ on 30 de Marzo.. there are about 10 music stores there.. they have all sorts of guitars.. (not my Taylor and not a lot of high end acoutics.. .. but a good selection of electrics and amps.. They should be able to help you.

The very big one.. right almost across from Claro.. seem to know what they are about.. but you be the judge.

I wonder if they sell the yamaha apx-5a LOLOL.. inside joke to myself :) I'm a taylor man myself ..214ce

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I wonder if they sell the yamaha apx-5a LOLOL.. inside joke to myself :) I'm a taylor man myself ..214ce

I hope you're not bashing on Yamahas! ;)

I do own a modest Yamaha APX500II. I got it here in SD, but not in calle 30 de Marzo but at that musical instruments store in Mega Centro.
It's not the finest guitar but I'm not the finest guitar player either, so It's ok for me.

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I hope you're not bashing on Yamahas! ;)

I do own a modest Yamaha APX500II. I got it here in SD, but not in calle 30 de Marzo but at that musical instruments store in Mega Centro.
It's not the finest guitar but I'm not the finest guitar player either, so It's ok for me.

No No, actually yahamas are some of the best guitars for the money.. The thing about the apx-5a.. 99.9% of bachata guitarists insist on using it.. I'd show up with a taylor and they'd be like.. oh that's a knockoff :)