TOURIST TAXI FARES LOCKED IN

E

Ed and Mame

This just in from DR1 news in e-mail:

A new agreement between the taxi drivers association and the Tourism Department promises* to standardize taxi fares charged to tourists and to reduce price gouging. Under the agreement, a tourist arriving at an airport or other point of entry can check the official taxi fares and avoid being overcharged by drivers who might ask for more than the set rate. The Vice President of the Caribe Taxi Association, Manuel Agramonte, says the agreement is a step towards improving the image of the DR. "Before, because of the disorganization, the country's image as a tourist destination was very damaged, but we have overcome that problem thanks to the efforts of the tourism authorities and the tourism transportation network." He says the Tourism Department has approved the new fares and they will apply across the country.

(* "promises"?) -Ed and Mame-

C

criss colon

But we know better,don,t we? "OH Senor, that was the "OLD" rate posted at the airport!" "Today is Sunday,the rate is double on Sundays, and Holidays,and after 10 pm.,and for passengers with blue eyes,and,and,and!!! Criss

J

Jerry

Know what is veru entertaining, watching the locals I am with argue with the driver because the normal rate is 50 pesos and they are not going to pay 100 pesos just becaue I am with them. ok ok just for you 80 peso ... lol of course the answer is are you crazy? They do pay extra about 1/2 the time but usually only 10 pesos. But it is entertaining.

Jerry

E

Ed and Mame

LOL !! Re: TOURIST TAXI FARES LOCKED IN

Yah - that's why we put the * and ? with the word "promise"!!!
But this is not derogatory only to DR - this happens anywhere in the tourist world!! Some people think most people are dumb - and they'll say anything ridiculous to validate and justify their price gouging mindset!!
LOL!!! Ed and Mame

J

Jerry

Re: LOL !! Re: TOURIST TAXI FARES LOCKED IN

Same thing in Panam?. Locals could not believe we would pay $3 for a $2 ride ..... kidding we're gringos we always pay more.

Happened to me in Buffalo at the airport. The driver tried to tell me his meter was "reading wrong" sorry bud there went your tip.

Jerry

P

PJT

Standard Fares! Where?

It is one thing to say there is an agreement for standard tourist fares and then there is the fare the tourist will be charged. I wonder what mechanism is going to be used so the tourist can see the tariff rates so he may escape price gouging. Where will the tourist go to see his fare? I can only suggest system used in Mexico at some bus stations.
When a patron wants local taxi service from the intercity bus station he or she goes to a taxi booth at the station. The patron expresses where they want to go and the attendent will check the point to point rate tariff and quote the rate to you. If you accept, a four part numbered ticket will issued to you with the rate and destination. You pay your fare at the taxi booth. The attendent keeps a copy of the ticket and the $money$. You go to the first available taxi and show the driver the ticket. The driver must take you to the destination. When you reach the destination you hand the driver the ticket, which he signs and records the number of his taxi. He takes two parts and you keep one. The driver then keeps one of the copies and turns in the other to get paid. You, of course, can decide if the driver deserves a tip. Advantage, you get a standard fare and guaranteed service; remember, the driver does not get the ticket until you reach your destination. Now, if only the DR can set up a similar system, free of abuse. Regards, PJT

E

Ed and Mame

Re: PRICE GOUGING EVERYWHERE

The biggest ripoff going is American Airlines!!! Have you checked into airline websites and seen the fares to Hawaii, and other "tourist" destinations? Gimme a break!!!!!! -Mame-

J

Jim Hinsch

AA charges market value. Anything else would be "unfair".

T

Tgf

Yes, and cigarettes are not addicting - they are just a lifestyle choice (Phillip Morris). Big businesses NEVER, EVER, conspire to maintain monopolies or cut out those small providers who might create more competition and lower prices. Businesses always respond to market demand..yes..does that mean they never manipulate the market behind the scenes?

P

PJT

Price is relative to the demand.

A few years back my coworkers and I happened to be a guests of Flying Tigers, an air cargo carrier. We were invited to view a Boeing 747 cargo carrier first hand. I remember to this day that our host mentioned that it was costing Flying Tigers US$ 25,000.00 an hour to have the plane in their service, whether it was flying or not. The cost could only be reduced if the aircraft was in the air with cargo more often than it was on the ground. The cost was all of the overhead, purchase of the aircraft, maintenance, fuel, crewing, and all other direct and indirect costs associated with obtaining cargo business for the aircraft. Sitting on the ground the plane does not make money. More cargo equals more revenue, more airtime, equals reduced costs, equals reduced rates charged to customers.
Therefore, if you really want to reduce airfares, fly. Keep the aircraft in the air, not on the ground. Regards, PJT

Footnote: Flying Tigers 1945-1989 was absorbed by Fedex.

A

a_andy

Very good Criss, and ...!!!

All of a sudden, 911 calls to the police will work for Gringos who don't pay what the taxi driver demands.

Also, those "posted prices" may become something like airline fares - inflated to several times a fair rate, such that just as with the airlines, you have to get some kind of "discount" to travel at all.