La Sirena Building Wholesaler On Sosua Property

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

On July 9, 2012 we already reported that the department store 'La Sirena' had bought a piece of land at the Gregorio Luperon road on a 300 meters from the entrance of Sos?a.

After that nothing happened. But now we see that excavators and trucks and a dozen of workmen are busy making the plot ready for building. The supervisor we spoke, said that the construction will take half a year. However, it is not a new department store like La Sirena also has in Puerto Plata, but more like a wholesaler affiliated with La Sirena. A wholesaler where owners of restaurants, bars, hotels and other businesses can do their shopping. But then, one must buy big, so a box, crate or pallet. For this you may expect that the food and other items can then be purchased cheaper. By the Middle of next year, the wholesaler in Sos?a is expected to open its door

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
For those of you who want to read the original article and see the pictures here is the link to Sosua news :

Sos?a-News

Olly and the Team

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Hmmm....interesting...sounds like La Sirena/Grupo Ramos may be looking to break into the Wholesale Club model and compete with PriceSmart...Not unlike Sam's Club (Walmart) vs. CostCo (PriceSmart) in the U.S. Hmmm....What's the latest rumors about Walmart buying into Grupo Ramos....Hmmmm....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What is unfortunate, windeguy?

That it will not be a retail store for local individual consumers. Or did I misunderstand that it was going to be wholesale only for business to business sales? If private consumers can purchase items in bulk there as well, then it will still be OK, but not as good as a new Supermarket.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
That it will not be a retail store for local individual consumers. Or did I misunderstand that it was going to be wholesale only for business to business sales? If private consumers can purchase items in bulk there as well, then it will still be OK, but not as good as a new Supermarket.

I'll be surprised if consumers can't buy in bulk. I don't think we know the details, and Sosua News doesn't either.

I'm not surprised it is not another supermarket. When Playero expanded, I figured that La Sirena would not build another supermarket. They are already getting the business of people from Sosua that want to shop in La Sirena. Why build a big store in Sosua for them and reduce the income in POP? Not worth spending all that money in Sosua just to pick up a few more customers.

I think a wholesaler is a good business decision for La Sirena, especially if consumers can buy in bulk like Sams Club

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
better is to wait a little to see the billboard (of presentation) that they will install, as they always do. A supervisor is just a supervisor, he does not speak on behalf of Ramos... wait and see

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'll be surprised if consumers can't buy in bulk. I don't think we know the details, and Sosua News doesn't either.

I'm not surprised it is not another supermarket. When Playero expanded, I figured that La Sirena would not build another supermarket. They are already getting the business of people from Sosua that want to shop in La Sirena. Why build a big store in Sosua for them and reduce the income in POP? Not worth spending all that money in Sosua just to pick up a few more customers.

I think a wholesaler is a good business decision for La Sirena, especially if consumers can buy in bulk like Sams Club

should be great for restaurant owners, no?

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Good news for restaurant owners, but most of don't have to room to store pallets of supplies. Sounds more like a Pricemart model to me.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
better is to wait a little to see the billboard (of presentation) that they will install, as they always do. A supervisor is just a supervisor, he does not speak on behalf of Ramos... wait and see

I agree. To have the first of its kind wholesale store for that company located in Sosua is a bit hard to understand.

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
In Santo Domingo Bravo has warehouse (perhaps Nacional and Grupo Ramos too) where you can buy in quantity (wholesale), but for Sosua where is the market ?? A store of this type only for an estimated 50-70 restaurats and 30-50 hotels on Sosua and Cabarete ????

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
In Santo Domingo Bravo has warehouse (perhaps Nacional and Grupo Ramos too) where you can buy in quantity (wholesale), but for Sosua where is the market ?? A store of this type only for an estimated 50-70 restaurats and 30-50 hotels on Sosua and Cabarete ????

Sosua has 150 bars and restaurants, not counting the resort.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Who really knows what they are going to do with it? Maybe it is a storage facility for PP? Anything is possible here, and talk means nada.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I agree. To have the first of its kind wholesale store for that company located in Sosua is a bit hard to understand.

I don't think it is hard to understand. Santiago and Santo Domingo already has this service available for its bars, restaurants and hotels.

I think what La Sirena has in mind is a similar service for the North Coast. Sosua is more or less central, with POP on one side and Cabarete, Cabrera on the other. Lots of hotels and restaurants within that area. Plus I will be surprised if consumers are not also allowed to buy in bulk.

mikol

Jul 1, 2010
Rumors/information can be far fetched at times....

Ps. They don't normally put signs until it's about to open.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
sounds a like PriceSmart/Costso model to me.

pallets stacked above, large format items available below, no travel sized bottles :cheeky:

Should do well