Naturalization ceremony

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
Has anyone here gone through the naturalization process? I'd be interested to know how long you had to wait after the verbal citizenship interview before you were invited to take take part in the swearing-in ceremony?

What is the ceremony itself like? Do you just get called up and get handed a certificate and that's it?

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
Call singer Danny Rivera or Gilberto Santa Rosa, both USA citizens who also adquired DR citizenship, they did it. Wonder if Julio Iglesias also did it.

I beleive the application has to be approved by the president...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I did it about 10 years ago. Don't really remember the time lapse, but I do remember the ceremony. There were about 20 some odd people being sworn in. The Vice President was the one that made a short speech and swore us in. Then he shook hands with each new citizen. It was really very well done.

This was in Hippo's reign.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Call singer Danny Rivera or Gilberto Santa Rosa, both USA citizens who also adquired DR citizenship, they did it. Wonder if Julio Iglesias also did it.
I beleive the application has to be approved by the president...

celebrities are not the only people ever to get citizenship, you know. those big names are the ones who get an invitation to gracefully accept the citizenship. other helpless souls have to apply and follow the procedure....

to the OP: PM la teacher and/or cjp, i know they have citizenship already. maybe they can give you time frame.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
celebrities are not the only people ever to get citizenship, you know. those big names are the ones who get an invitation to gracefully accept the citizenship. other helpless souls have to apply and follow the procedure....

to the OP: PM la teacher and/or cjp, i know they have citizenship already. maybe they can give you time frame.

Those name were the only one that came to mind, and the OP was waiting for a simple answer that has not been provided yet.

So, were Danny and Gilberto actually invited? Do you know who did it and how?

They both married the same DR girl, a movie star...

cjp2010

Mar 25, 2013
Completed mine about four years ago. We had to repeat an oath. Getting to that point was a real pain in the a**. All the paperwork, trips into the middle of Santo Domingo with the traffic, etc. But the ceremony at the end was a breeze. There were a dozen or so of us all sworn in at the same time. If you didn't understand the exact words to say you could just mumble it and be OK as they can't tell if any one person was saying it or not.

The hardest part for me at that time was the interview in Spanish, which I saw you have already done. I am much more fluent in Spanish now but at the time that part made me nervous.

Timing is not always the same. It depends on when enough people are ready for that step in the process and when they have someone authorized free to do the oath. For me it was about a month after I completed my interview. I have heard some others say they did it in as little as a week and yet others say they waited more than six months.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i did my process (through marriage) starting about 2 years ago. once i dropped off the paperwork, it took 4 months - but i had someone push my papers through interpol which is, apparently, where things get stuck. i was told that normal processing after the interview is usually anywhere between 6 months to a year. once all of my "depuraciones" had arrived, i had to wait for the next swearing in ceremony - which if i recall correctly, they do every last thursday of the month.

once you're sworn in, it's 10 days before you can pick up the paperwork, then another 20 days to do the "processing" in la junta. after it's processed, you go to your local "junta" and apply for a cedula - takes a month as well.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
When I was sworn in I had a Cedula the same day and processed my Passport application also. But that was 10 years ago.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
That's interesting that some people claim to have gotten their citizenship cedula the day of the swearing-in ceremony. I was under the impression there is a 3-month wait after the ceremony to apply for the cedula and then a 6-week wait after that to pick it up (which can be somewhat of a hassle for those not living in the DR full-time).

I've heard accounts before that Migracion will send the citizenship cedula to the applicant's nearest Dominican consulate abroad upon request. Does anyone know anything about this?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I had a lawyer that had someone working for him with all kinds of hooks. He got the Cedula in a half hour and the passport I applied the same day and picked it up the next day.

Anyone interested in the lawyer can PM me for details. I assume he is still working. Last contact I had was about 3 years ago.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i don't know why migracion would have anything to do with a cedula --- cedula's come from the JCE (la junta) and the citizenship comes from the police. It's a different process than immigration

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
i don't know why migracion would have anything to do with a cedula --- cedula's come from the JCE (la junta) and the citizenship comes from the police. It's a different process than immigration

That is correct. The same day I took the oath we went to another place for the Cedula.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"SKY" I would be willing to bet that when you got your "Papers", "Hipolito was President????
A "Gringo", non Spanish speaking, who knew "NADA" about the history of the DR, OR "Dominicanos", paid 26,000 pesos to a "PRD" lawyer for citizenship, Voting Cedula, and a "Permit to carry"!
He still has all 3 today!
I thought it was a scam, but he has renewed them all without any problems.
I wish I had done the same thing!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
"SKY" I would be willing to bet that when you got your "Papers", "Hipolito was President????
A "Gringo", non Spanish speaking, who knew "NADA" about the history of the DR, OR "Dominicanos", paid 26,000 pesos to a "PRD" lawyer for citizenship, Voting Cedula, and a "Permit to carry"!
He still has all 3 today!
I thought it was a scam, but he has renewed them all without any problems.
I wish I had done the same thing!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

You are absolutely CORRECT. Hippo was my man.