Big Concert today in Sosua??

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Has anyone heard of a big concert at Playa Alicia (Parque Mirador) this afternoon?

I just saw a facebook post announcing a concert with 6 performers starting at 2pm. Here's the post:

Parque Mirador Sosua, 2 de la Tarde, Hoy.
En concierto:
-Poeta Callejero
-Villano San
-Juli?n Oro Duro.
-La Nueva Escuela.
-Mozart la Para.
-El Sujeto.

Esta es una campa?a denominada:
?Una Sonrisa Para los Turistas?
Organiza el Ministerio de Turismo con el apoyo de la Alcald?a de Sosua.

Parque Mirador Sosua, 2 de la tarde, domingo 6 de Octubre 2013
Nota: totalmente gratis para todos el pueblo.

Seems strange no to have heard anything about this before today...could be a joke?

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
DavidZ, this is how Turismo spend our..."us business owners"....money. They have no clue how to promote/market anything. You will hear about it tomorrow on Sosua News, always after the fact. It's an awful shame on how they run their operation.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
DavidZ, this is how Turismo spend our..."us business owners"....money. They have no clue how to promote/market anything. You will hear about it tomorrow on Sosua News, always after the fact. It's an awful shame on how they run their operation.

they do the best they can. they are, for the most part, a bunch of stumblebums, and you cant shine $hit.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It was in the DR1 News earlier this week:
Wilfrido Vargas on tour of the Dominican Republic
Minister of Tourism Francisco Javier Garcia, who recently began his campaign for the ruling party presidential candicacy, announced that legendary Dominican merengue musician, composer and singer Wilfrido Vargas and his band will go on tour of 42 cities from now to January. The tour will open with Vargas playing a concert in Puerto Plata on Saturday, 5 October. The performance is scheduled for the Puntilla, the western point of the Puerto Plata Malecon seafront boulevard. The show is a tribute to the musician's life work. He will be accompanied onstage by Elvis Martinez, Omega, La Nueva Escuela and Alex Matos.
The show moves on to Sosua the next day, Sunday, 6 October with performances at the Parque Mirador starting at 2pm. El Poeta Callejero, Julian Oro Duro, La Nueva Escuela, Vilanosam, El Sujeto and Mozart La Para will play together with Wilfrido Vargas and his band.
On Monday, 7 October in Sanchez (Samana province), the Wilfrido Vargas band will perform with Quico Rodriguez, Pena Suazo and Omega.
The concerts will include merengue, bachata, typical music, salsa, fusions, rock, ballads, dembow and reggaeton.
Vargas is one of the most influential merengue artists in history. A true merengue pioneer, he revolutionized the sounds of merengue especially during his most active years during the 1980s.
The shows are sponsored by the Ministry of Tourism.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what sort of message does mozart la para convey to tourists, i wonder? that dominicans are barely literate? amao, bebio, con cualto...

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
what sort of message does mozart la para convey to tourists, i wonder? that dominicans are barely literate? amao, bebio, con cualto...

A message supported by the likes of Poeta callejero and the rest of losers on the billboard.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well...I'm going to go check it out...at least there'll be one (non-tourist) gringo there...

There were two of us! This was not a concert for tourists.

The concert was mostly for local kids. And it constantly promoted a message of how important tourists are and not to rob them. I will say the music would have been at best "lacking" for most any gringo.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i actually like mozart la para but i think in order to appreciate the joke you need great barrio spanish. some will say that in order to appreciate him you need to brain dead and there's certainly some truth in that...

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I'm a Beethoven fan myself. I've been working on learning this for almost 30 years. Guess I'm a slow learner. The climate here changes my 50 years old real wood baby grand so it needs two days in the AC then tuning. I don't turn on the AC so even IF I play the correct keys.... sounds like?

[video=youtube;4Tr0otuiQuU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tr0otuiQuU&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

So how many people does it take to take a baby grand apart, move it, put it back together, tune it and.... I still can't play. :(

It would be very nice to introduce so much different music from the past and from the 50's/60's and that the world has so much to share in music.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Sosua News On The Concert

From today's Sosua News:

Sunday afternoon, at about 4 PM, six well-known bands were about to perform on the beach at Parque Mirador in Sos?a. The artists that performed at the beach were El Poeta Callejero, Juli?n Oro Duro, La Escuela Nueva, San Villano, el Sujeto and Mozart La Para. As early as at 2 PM the people arrived at the Calle Sin Salida where police and military searched the music lovers extensively for weapons and drugs. At about 4 PM it started off. The artists played their well-known melodies and lyrics and brought the large and very enthusiastic audience in ecstasy. The party went on until 8 o'clock, when, during the last performing artist a heavy rainstorm broke out and the event came to an end. The benefit was that everyone went home again without an incident. According to police, at least 1,500 young people come down to the party on the beach.
There had been a word-of-mouth promotion for the concert because there was no other advertisement in the village for the concert. The music festival was part of 42 concerts up-coming, organized by the Ministry of Tourism.

With this concert series called 'A smile for the tourists' (Una Sonrisa para los Turistas) for which 120 artists are contracted, the Minister Francisco Javier Garcia wants to boost tourism. Although all the local young people loved the music Sunday afternoon, however, we saw very few tourists. If the minister wants to boost tourism he should at least make some promotion in advance. Furthermore, a program should be offered that does interest the tourists.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
Then they went to el flow and started to fight and throw bottles. I was able to observe the event from the safety of my chair across the street.

drescape24

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
From today's Sosua News:

Sunday afternoon, at about 4 PM, six well-known bands were about to perform on the beach at Parque Mirador in Sos?a. The artists that performed at the beach were El Poeta Callejero, Juli?n Oro Duro, La Escuela Nueva, San Villano, el Sujeto and Mozart La Para. As early as at 2 PM the people arrived at the Calle Sin Salida where police and military searched the music lovers extensively for weapons and drugs. At about 4 PM it started off. The artists played their well-known melodies and lyrics and brought the large and very enthusiastic audience in ecstasy. The party went on until 8 o'clock, when, during the last performing artist a heavy rainstorm broke out and the event came to an end. The benefit was that everyone went home again without an incident. According to police, at least 1,500 young people come down to the party on the beach.
There had been a word-of-mouth promotion for the concert because there was no other advertisement in the village for the concert. The music festival was part of 42 concerts up-coming, organized by the Ministry of Tourism.

With this concert series called 'A smile for the tourists' (Una Sonrisa para los Turistas) for which 120 artists are contracted, the Minister Francisco Javier Garcia wants to boost tourism. Although all the local young people loved the music Sunday afternoon, however, we saw very few tourists. If the minister wants to boost tourism he should at least make some promotion in advance. Furthermore, a program should be offered that does interest the tourists.

does anybody realistically believe that a bunch of reggaeton and Dembow concerts is going to draw tourists? heck, i would not leave POP to go risk my neck in a crowd of Presidente guzzling kids, just looking to start a fight. events like Reggae Sunsplash draw crowds, because the billing includes big name artists, who people have heard of. who the heck has ever heard of Mozart la Parra, besides some guys in Los Mina?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
who the heck has ever heard of Mozart la Parra, besides some guys in Los Mina?

The other day somebody asked me if I followed Mozart La Para on twitter. All I could think was, if this guy is unable to say anything worth listening to in a 4-minute song, how much worth reading could he say in 140 characters?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The other day somebody asked me if I followed Mozart La Para on twitter. All I could think was, if this guy is unable to say anything worth listening to in a 4-minute song, how much worth reading could he say in 140 characters?

he is quite literate with his tweets, actually, posts links to his videos and informs about coming concerts. however, it makes more sense to pretend to be mozart la parra rather than follow him. you could get girls to send you nekkid photos:
Apresan hombre que suplant? a Mozart la Para y ped?a fotos ?ntimas a fans - DiarioLibre.com

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

my sentiments, exactly..i would rather watch grass grow than listen to that "music"

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
No offense guys but.........
Perhaps this show was not meant to attract the tourists.
It was probably an attempt to reach the young people among whom one would probably find a fair number of petty crime committers against tourists. The opportunity was taken to send a message to these "youngens" about staying on the straight and narrow.
The Ministry of Tourism has a vested interest in reaching the young. It is not such an unusual action. Governments around the world are doing the same type of thing.
We are all too quick to find the bad or the fault in everything.........(I include myself in the we, btw.)