After 27 years, I FINALLY Got Over On Supermemcado National!!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I was buying a few things there yesterday, Arroyo Hondo branch, and I noticed that there were two kinds of Avocados for sale.
The "Premium" were big,full, and beautiful, just like "You-Know-Who,s" "Nay Nays"!
They cost 40 pesos each, "Just Like "You-Know-Who;s", "Nay Nays"!!!!! :laugh::p:p:p
The small, ugly,blemish one's, )Just Like My Wife's "Nay Nays")cost 20 pesos each.ed
The 40 peso ones had a sticker on them to tell the cashier how much to charge.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC though, "Why not peel off the sticker, and see how much they charge me"????????
I just bought one, in case they knew the difference, and charged me 40 pesos.
They charged me 20 pesos!!
Today I went back and bought 6 of the premium "Avos", they only charged me 29 pesos each!!!
Sooooooooo, i got 20 pesos yesterday, and 120 today!!!
That's 140 pesos!!!!!!
If I buy 10,000 thousand more avocados, We'll be EVEN!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

sayanora

Silver
Feb 22, 2012
I was buying a few things there yesterday, Arroyo Hondo branch, and I noticed that there were two kinds of Avocados for sale.
The "Premium" were big,full, and beautiful, just like "You-Know-Who,s" "Nay Nays"!
They cost 40 pesos each, "Just Like "You-Know-Who;s", "Nay Nays"!!!!! :laugh::p:p:p
The small, ugly,blemish one's, )Just Like My Wife's "Nay Nays")cost 20 pesos each.ed
The 40 peso ones had a sticker on them to tell the cashier how much to charge.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC though, "Why not peel off the sticker, and see how much they charge me"????????
I just bought one, in case they knew the difference, and charged me 40 pesos.
They charged me 20 pesos!!
Today I went back and bought 6 of the premium "Avos", they only charged me 29 pesos each!!!
Sooooooooo, i got 20 pesos yesterday, and 120 today!!!
That's 140 pesos!!!!!!
If I buy 10,000 thousand more avocados, We'll be EVEN!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

The smaller blemished ones are criollo, much creamier and better tasting in my opinion.. The big premium ones are injertas, grafted, watery and no flavor.. Maybe they got you AGAIN!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Much to do about nothing. I steal ... I ask the workers at another house down the street if I can have some and he gets some coconuts, limes and some other fruit that I have.

You BUY avocados? Do you buy bitter orange, lemons, banana's and other stuff too? ROFL.

All for the taking from the vine.

Coconut cream pie with the coconut from our trees baked fresh today with fresh egg meringue browned on top. Used 1/2 avocado to replace 1/2 the butter. A little fresh bitter orange and lemon.

:)

Last edited:

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Whoever got who.....
That's a pretty good price for avocados, I must say.
I agree that the smaller darker more knubbly ones are the best.
I wouldn't be thrilled with a bunch of blemishes though.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Anyone have a good Seagrape juice recipes? I've got lots of them and they produce. Also wild Almond trees with those tiny almonds that are not worth my time or any of my staff. Any ideas?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Just had the pie. OMG! The fresh coconut off our trees and grated made the BEST pie ever. The topping was great using fresh egg whites.

Next time..... same pie with a layer of fresh banana slices on top. Coconut banana meringue pie using some local this and that. Ummmmm.... those little almonds are getting my attention.

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC want pie?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
dulce de almendra. just do not bother to do it yourself. find from your workers who in the area does it best and then deliver few bags of almonds. it takes me 20 minutes of blood, sweat and tears to crack one open. a dominican will do it in seconds.

and ringo, not everyone has access to campo goodness. especially if they live in the city.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
dulce de almendra. just do not bother to do it yourself. find from your workers who in the area does it best and then deliver few bags of almonds. it takes me 20 minutes of blood, sweat and tears to crack one open. a dominican will do it in seconds.

and ringo, not everyone has access to campo goodness. especially if they live in the city.

I wish I DID live in the campo. lol. I have seen people throw the fallen almonds into the road and let the cars run over them to remove the fleshy skin and crack the nut. I have not investigated. We had walnut trees in CA and know how to dry roast the nut in an oven and seal in a vac. jar. But these nuts are so small. I have driveway; I have almonds and I have car. ????

I'll give a couple of tries. Coconut banana cream margarine pie with toasted almonds using... all the above.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
almonds need to dry a bit to be good and easy to open. i am a huge fan of almendras criollas. yummy!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
almonds need to dry a bit to be good and easy to open. i am a huge fan of almendras criollas. yummy!

Come crack my nuts and you get some.

............................ did I really say that?

Sorry dv8. With you I could not resist but will put them in the sun on the driveway to dry a little first. Thanks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ha ha ha. i crack nuts by the means of vicious beating with a stone until they are flat :)
you will love those almendras. let them dry a bit and then try to open. yummy, yummy.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Much to do about nothing. I steal ... I ask the workers at another house down the street if I can have some and he gets some coconuts, limes and some other fruit that I have.

You BUY avocados? Do you buy bitter orange, lemons, banana's and other stuff too? ROFL.

All for the taking from the vine.

Coconut cream pie with the coconut from our trees baked fresh today with fresh egg meringue browned on top. Used 1/2 avocado to replace 1/2 the butter. A little fresh bitter orange and lemon.

:)

Maybe the guys who pass by in the night are after your fruit, not your money

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I bought the avocados, because my huge avocado tree gave us over 100 beautiful fruits this seson, but are all gone now.
I planted the tree about 12 years ago from a seed of the best avocado I ever ate!!!!
I now eat the "children" of the best avocado I ever ate!!!
"Harvested" a lot more from my neighbors trees.
I can't believe they don't pick them themselves????
"WTF"????
I also have mangos, bitter oranges, coconuts,platanos, bananas,juan dules, and more stuff,growing, and giving, in my yard!
I "Food Shop" almost everyday.
I search the newspapers for the cheapest, "On Sale" items.
I buy a lot of "Non Perishable" items and "Stock Up"!!!
My lovely "Dominicana" says doing that is just a waste of money.
THAT's why Dominicans buy stuff from the colmados, and only what they are going to use that day.
At double the prices I pay!!!
I also have my "Doomsday Prepper" trunks loaded with food for about two months ,for 8 people!
Just be sure to watch the cash register when you check out!!!!!!
What the "On Sale Price" sign at the display "Giveth" the check out price, "Taketh Away"!!!!!!
A LOT of the time!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Whenever I see "Sale" price I take it to one of the price checkers even before I go to the cashier. it is unbelievable how many times it is BS.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
CCCCCCCCCC...........
I'm with you all the way on the idea of stocking up.
Among my most prioritized items..
Toilet paper, paper towels, kleenex, dish soap (Palmolive ultra/purple), canned tomatoes (diced, ground, whole..Pastene),
honey, chicken/beef broths,....

I know that when I was young, there was not a whole lot of spare cash floating around...(to say the least) and I believe that my "obsession" has something to do with that fact.
Plus I like to huddle in place, and shut out the madding crowd. Having all that stock provides me with a certain comfort level.
And of course the idea of getting a good deal is most attractive.
I am down to 37 double rolls of t.p. on hand and I know it is time to start waching out for specials. (lol)

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
The part I "LOVE", is when you point out the wrong price charged at the register, they call the "un-supervisor".
note, I do check the price at the "Scanners" in the store, when it shows the normal price, I go take the "Sale Price sign", and put it in the cart to SHOW the supervisors.
NOW, when you show the sign to the supervisor, she will ALWAYS, hold it beside the item in question, squint at them both, then walk away to check the price.
How can she check the price, when I took the sign"????
Often they come back and say, "It's not this "Flavor", or whatever.
I then show them it says, "ALL VARIETIES"!!!!
Again, they leave, then come back with a "Sourpuss" frown, and relucktantly, give me the item at the REAl, "Sale Price"!!!
I was once charged 1,400 pesos ,EACH' for 4 cans od sardines, "On Sale"!
I called the manager, who thought he would continue his cell phone conversation, while he dealt with me!!!
I went all "CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC" on him, and told him that "Leonel" would no doubt call him back later!!!!!
He looked at the cans of sardines, looked at my register receipt, back at the sardines, at me, back to the sale slip, then sent on of the "Bag Boys" to find the sardines in the store.
Asking a "Bag Boy" to find anything in a huge supermarket, where they would never shop, is like sending Chip to find the best "BJ" in Sosua!!!
He lives in Santiago afterall!!!!!
In the end, he gave me my money back, Reluctantly"!!
Check the items the next day, they will still be at the regular price!!!
Point out an "Out-Of-Sell-by-Code" and he will tell you "Gracias" for pointing that out to him.
One manager even got a worker to begin to remove the items from the shelve, to "show me" he was serious!
"Serious" enough that all the out dated items had "Somehow" found their way back to the shelf by the next day!
The guy who once said, "Show Me A Honest Man", would have been out-of-luck in the DR!!!
I'll add "An Honest Woman or child" to that list here!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
ps.,In addition to your list, I have 20 five gallon bottles of drinking water in my large rack, taken from the trash heap at a major SD medical center. Which I have removed when "MT", filled, and returned to the rack FULL, for 20 pesos a bottle, plus a "TIP" for the guy who does the work!

Last edited:

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Asking a "Bag Boy" to find anything in a huge supermarket, where they would never shop, is like sending Chip to find the best "BJ" in Sosua!!!

hahahahahahaha

Poor Chip, even on vacation he does not get a break!!!!!

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
There must be a lot of "eye-rolling" going on when the employess of these places see CCCCCC approaching.
lol.
"Ay yi yi.....ja viene el viejo loco !! Escondete !!!......."