Punta Cana / Bavaro, Puerto Plata, Juan Dolio, other location??

CMercedes

Jun 28, 2013
www.Bailaconpasion.com
Hi guys!! I would love to get your input on a possible location for our business. I am moving to the DR on Oct. 25th to finally get to be with my husband who is from Santo Domingo and we are going to be opening our business there in the Dominican Republic!! We are beyond excited!!

we are currently trying to decide where we will open our business. we definitely need to be in an area that has a high level of tourism and we need to have easy access to authentic Dominican dance clubs....NOT Americanized clubs playing American music and no...this does NOT involve ladies of the night!! Lol we are looking to be in an area that has the kind of tourists that comes to the DR ready to spend money, that is a world traveler and interested in learning about the real authentic Dominican culture, music and dance....not the type of tourist who is simply looking to get drunk and 'have a good time' so to speak.

We are considering Punta Cana - though i have read that tourists there may fall into the ' get drunk and have a good time' category though this is hearsay ONLY

Puerto Plata - leaning towards this but of course need to know more

Juan Dolio - Juan Dolio has fallen to the bottom of the list after we were told that there is little tourism there anymore and is more dangerous now than in the past. We had also hoped that the movie studio there had 'caught on' but have been informed that it is not what people thought it would be.

We are looking for a longterm permanent location in an area that is still growing and developing but has a solid tourist flow with high quality resorts as the norm.

I would greatly appreciate any and all advice, input, guidance, ideas you can share with me!! we are most definitely open to other locations than the ones I listed. Thank you so much for your time and input! It will be a huge help to us!!

Thank you again....y saludos! :)

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"...tourists that comes to the DR ready to spend money, that is a world traveler and interested in learning about the real authentic Dominican culture, music and dance..."

Are you looking for both of them? ;)

Seriously. I doubt you will find enough of that sort doesn't matter PC or NC...

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
What you need is a professional feasibility study before you get into that kind of business...
I doubt that you can get the answers on a message board.

CMercedes

Jun 28, 2013
www.Bailaconpasion.com
Mido..... We are absolutely doing our homework!! For sure but I also wanted some input from folks here too. You may be right though...perhaps I have gone to the wrong place.

Frank....that seems like a very sad empty life. I know that each time I have been there I have seen a whole lot more than that. perhaps it is my perspective....I think I kind of like my perspective though...I think I will keep it. :)

Thank you all for your input though....I do appreciate it!

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
In Punta Cana, the tourists rarely leave the resorts... Juan Dolio I don't know and Puerto Plata has tourists but will they leave the resorts ???

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Check out La Romana or Bahahibe. I have heard more positive comments about growth of tourism in those areas. You still would not be too far from Santo Domingo. Because your husband is from SD he will want to visit friends and relatives often. The supplies you need for your business are most likely to be available in SD.
Good luck

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
c Class,
I am really not sure what business you are trying to set up! Your OP is actually quite vague as to what you actually want to do and for whom? Can you expand a bit on what you want to offer ?

Olly and the Team

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Mido..... We are absolutely doing our homework!! For sure but I also wanted some input from folks here too. You may be right though...perhaps I have gone to the wrong place.

Frank....that seems like a very sad empty life. I know that each time I have been there I have seen a whole lot more than that. perhaps it is my perspective....I think I kind of like my perspective though...I think I will keep it. :)

Thank you all for your input though....I do appreciate it!

My remarks are based on 5 years living here and on having lived in 5 other countries which have culture.
I don't drink beer and I'm not a whoremonger, I don't hang out with expats and I speak fluent Spanish/Dominican.
I might live a sad life but it's far from being empty. ;)

This is what I call culture and you can't find any of that in the DR, in many other countries yes but not in the DR.
Your perspective of the DR will change as soon as you really start to know the country

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
My remarks are based on 5 years living here and on having lived in 5 other countries which have culture.
I don't drink beer and I'm not a whoremonger, I don't hang out with expats and I speak fluent Spanish/Dominican.

This is what I call culture and you can't find any of that in the DR, in many other countries yes but not in the DR.
Your perspective of the DR will change as soon as you really start to know the country

I like Chiriqui as well!

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013

Dominicans, as all countries, do have culture..., but you don't like it.

It includes, cuisine, religion, language ['dominican spanish'], art such as music, drinking beer is part of the dominican culture...

What for DR have the national theater, bellas artes, altos de chavon etc?

How many more years are you going to stay in DR?

What the Bush, Clinton, Cisneros, Julio Iglesias go to DR for?

CMercedes

Jun 28, 2013
www.Bailaconpasion.com
Guys.....I really do appreciate everyone taking the time to share your input, ideas, opinions, etc. Even if I don't share some of the same thoughts. That is the beauty of asking a question like mine... You get all different perspectives ans I respect them all even if I don't see things the same way.

Believe it or not your posts have helped us a lot. Thank you.

Empiric... I too believe that the DR has a very rich culture and I love it!

Frank....thank you for sharing your thoughts and those photos!! I loved them!!

I love getting to see how we can all look at the same thing yet see such different things. I think it's cool. Thanks again guys....you have all helped more than you know!!

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Dominicans, as all countries, do have culture..., but you don't like it.

It includes, cuisine, religion, language ['dominican spanish'], art such as music, drinking beer is part of the dominican culture...

What for DR have the national theater, bellas artes, altos de chavon etc?

How many more years are you going to stay in DR?

What the Bush, Clinton, Cisneros, Julio Iglesias go to DR for?

Are you sure you wanna hear the answer to this question? I can assure you that they're not coming here because of the Dominican culture but most likely for the sun, beautiful beaches and off course las chicas!!!
Sorry forgot about golf.