electrical main wiring

beekaynz

Aug 12, 2011
Does anyone know a good english speaking electrician that can
replace the main wire from meter to breaker panel?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Does anyone know a good english speaking electrician that can
replace the main wire from meter to breaker panel?

Give us a hint of where you want the work done. Santo Domingo, Santiago, Puerto Plata, Sosua, ........ ?????

Regards,

PJT

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
it will easier, and maybe cheaper, to find a translator for the electrician...

it you dont mind, why you need to replace the wiring, someone just told you?

D.Rep

Jan 6, 2011
What's the problem with that?
Buy the cable you need too use and replace it with any electrician. That's not a big deal and everybody with basic know how can do it.

May 29, 2006
Usually when the meter is involved, you need someone from the power company to cut the seals and verify the reading. Otherwise you can be charged with tampering. I hope your breaker box is close to the meter. Make sure the wire is the proper gauge. You don't want to be running 12 gauge wire to a 50 or 100 amp box.

May 29, 2006
I wouldn't trust *basic* Dominican know how with electric. It's a good way to start a fire, and it makes you wonder why the wire needs to be replaced in the first place. Should be in conduit all the way from the meter to the breaker box. Also, check to see if you have a grounding stake. It won't be a cheap fix if it's done right.

This are quick inspection of breaker boxes in the US with several code violations..
Panel Box Inspection Reveals Defects - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4DbZEzoEDc

Basic knowledge?

Last edited:

beekaynz

Aug 12, 2011
The wire has been cut and joined into a few times, so want to get new complete cable inside conduit to prevent this happening again.

beekaynz

Aug 12, 2011
Also the wire into the panel is a smaller guage that what is coming fromthe meter. It is about 150ft run through two neiboring properties.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Go down to edenorte pay them to install meter on the wall un front of ure house, while ure at it.
Will save money on cable, hassle, less easy for someone to steal ure juice.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Go down to edenorte pay them to install meter on the wall un front of ure house, while ure at it.
Will save money on cable, hassle, less easy for someone to steal ure juice.

May 29, 2006
150ft? Um.. You need to find a real electrician. About 20ft is the max you should have between the meter and your main breaker box and 150ft of heavy gauge wire is going to be pricey(and vulnerable). Ideally it should go right from the meter to the inside of your building.

Agreed that you need to contact the power company to put in a new meter to save on hassles in the long run. Good luck!

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
The wire has been cut and joined into a few times, so want to get new complete cable inside conduit to prevent this happening again.

the meter should be in your property, it is the responsability of the utility co. to bring the wires to your property,

I have seen power meters up on the pole, so to prevent home owners to tamper with it.

but that put the owner at risk of someone to tap his line [your case i think]

tell your utility co. how am i going to keep track of the power i use if the meter is so far?

how am i going to prevent anyone from tapping the power line? [after the meter, so i will paying for it]

getting the wires inside a conduit just will make more difficult to tap the wires, but not impossible

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
I have a large lot. In order to it right, I had to buy the pole and install it myself. My electrician bought the wire and still had to bury 150 ft to get back to the generator house. The wire was alot, well over 1000 USD.

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
I have a large lot. In order to it right, I had to buy the pole and install it myself. My electrician bought the wire and still had to bury 150 ft to get back to the generator house. The wire was alot, well over 1000 USD.

Why did you 'bury', inside your property, and not aerial, less expensive less hassle

May 29, 2006
Even interior household 12-3 wire is around US$ 75 cents a foot nowadays, and that's in the US. Sounds like a difficult situation..