Shipping from Canada.....My Expierience

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
Dropped off 2 50 gallon barrels on Sept 17 with Peralta Bros shipping in Toronto.
They will pick them up at your door but I do not live in Toronto so I delivered them. Normal cost is 120 bucks each. I had a 10 percent discount coupon for first time custumers. I told him the contents and he started to tell me that their were extra costs for some items. I said ok. Total charge for both barrels 225.00 bucks. I think it was a good deal.
Inside were all sorts of tools like wrenchs, pliers etc., kitchen stuff like pots and pans, cutlery. some clothes, folding chairs, screen tent for the beach, battery charger, tire inflator, grinder and other small electric tools, small vacuum, music cd's, porable radios, home decorations (little trinkets from my travels), you get the picture..........the only things I see missing are a bag of baseballs to give to the kids around here and one of my good hand saws
The most valuable thing in there was my Mac computer. I lied to the shipper and told him it was only a monitor. Unless you look closely you can't tell.

This morning at 630 am they delivered them......I didn't think it would be so fast, now I have to build a locking cabinet for my tools......My stepson was salivating as I took the tools out of the barrels

LOCK OR LOSE IT EVEN WITH FAMILY

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Good to hear about them - Peralta.
Have never heard a bad word.

3 weeks is about right for delivery - NYC is usually 3 weeks.

Thanks

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have not heard of problems with shipping this way yet. But, in the future, boxes and barrels are always packed with "household goods". Just "household goods." ;)

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I don't think labelling them "household goods" will be that simple......somebody went through the entire contents of both barrels. If you get caught in a lie you pay for it one way or another

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
At Nyc (Awilda) , we label nothing.... just stuff it in and away she goes.

I have two 8x8x8 storage boxes to go when my time comes... storage box variety... full of Household Effects.
We'll see how that goes - 'When' it goes......

This will be my 1st Cdn shipment.... glad to hear it goes well.
Rendul here is a big supporter of Peralta

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I don't think labelling them "household goods" will be that simple......somebody went through the entire contents of both barrels. If you get caught in a lie you pay for it one way or another

I suspect yours was searched at random.
Can you imagine if they did that for every shipment?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
you could be right Windy, mine are not always searched.

I do about 2 a year.... some small, some quite big

As I said before, things like 'fridges have a built-in charge... more for new than used.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We've had things broken, but never anything missing from any shipment. We've been shipping for so long that I don't remember when we started, but it's decades.

Back when we had a warehouse, Mr. AE had the idea to bring home one of the rolls of stretch film that we used to use for shipping our merchandise. He wraps the boxes with the film - sometimes just the tops and bottoms, sometimes the entire box if it's very heavy or has expensive stuff in it. [Picture the film wrapped suitcases you sometimes see at the airport]. Then our shipper [Embarque Bella Vista, Bronx] adds metal strapping to each box. When the shipment arrives, the film and the straps are intact.

One of our shipments earlier this year:
IMG_0612.jpg

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Odd... I'm told that one of the brothers comes down to meet the shipment... he's there at the dock to watch it arrive and shepherd it through

Did this happen?

mart1n

Jul 13, 2006
I have used this company for years and so far no problems. They deliver to my door and i live way out in the countryside

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
When we ship we have been using the Rubbermaid containers. We label each box by numbers, we issue a list of everything (sort of) within each box and provide the Brother a copy of all the lists. We also put a copy of the list within the container. I even put costs on the listings. Last time we sent 15 containers down and this time will be more. I just hope this is the last one.