Can't seem to get the pool clean

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
I've discovered a dirty layer on the bottom of my pool and when I try and vacuum it, it dissolves back into the water. Though it looks clean when I'm finished by the end of the day the bottom is cover again. Had a pool for 6 years but never this problem. It all started when I noticed the water was cloudy. I added clarify and the next day I had this issue. The water was no longer cloudy but the bottom was very dirty.

Small pool, 8,000 gallons. Chlorine and PH are fine. Filter sand replaced 2 years ago. I cycle the water through the pump every day for 2 hours. Should be enough based on pump power and size of pool. Back wash often,
until the water runs clean. The water jets are pointing up in hopes too vacuum the bottom before the
water movement dissolves the dirt. If I point them down the dirt dissolves back into
the water in minutes and unable to vacuum any of it.

Any ideas?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
At times the clarifier just doesn't do it. Sounds like you should Flock your pool. One large jar of Flock agent should do it. Any pool store has it.

1. Put your filter on recirculate.
2. Dissolve some of the flock powder in a bucket of water, stir and throw into pool. About 1/8th of the flock in the bucket at a time so that you are dissolving most of the powder.
3. Fill your pool to the top with water.
4. Run pool in the recirculate mode for about 6 to 8 hours then turn off.
5. Do not turn on the pool again. Wait overnight and you should have a layer of gunk on the bottom in the morning.
6. SLOWLY vacuum your pool in the WASTE setting on your filter. You DON'T want this stuff going thru your filter.
7. You will be taking the gunk and water out of the pool so you will need to be filling with water as you vacuum.

That should do it. At least that's what works for me about twice a year. Good luck.

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
It’s probably 1 of 2 things. First, with a sand filter and sand 2 years old, it’s time for a change. Second, you may be backwashing too much. If you backwash before the filter pressure increases 10lbs from the previous backwash, your sand will be “too clean” to catch fine particles and by backwashing often, you lose the effectiveness of the sand as it destroys the microscopic points on the sand particles that catch the “fuzz” in the water as it passes through. You could also vacuum to “waste” one time if you have something strange in the water. If you still have problems, check out Home - www.pro-sourcecaribe.com

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
8,000 gallon pool. Use HALF the jar of flocking agent.

My filter sand is almost 10 years old. I use the clarifier and algaecide about every two weeks unless we have had a lot of rain then I add more plus an extra chorine tablet. I backwash once a week or the next day after I've put in the clarifier. I don't have a filter problem.

After you put the flock in and while the pool is on, it's a good idea to give your pool a good brushing.

ken kopas

Jun 22, 2003
Sounds like the same problem I used to have with my pool water, it was clean but never "clean" and always a chalky residue would settle on the bottom. The problem was from too much phosphate in the water, have your water checked for that, if high use a phosphate remover as per instructions and be sure to vacuum to waste.
Good luck!

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Same problem here.
I do it the dominican way, empty the pool, scrub everything clean, bobs ure uncle..

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
If it's brown, it's African dust. Finer than the finest jeweler's rouge. It comes over at 40-60,000 feet altitude. I used to scavange it from my boat's water filters to use as a polishing agent.

Suck it up through a bypass to a 1 mic filter, let the filter dry, scrape it off, package it and sell it to auto paint shops.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If it's brown, it's African dust. Finer than the finest jeweler's rouge. It comes over at 40-60,000 feet altitude. I used to scavange it from my boat's water filters to use as a polishing agent.

Suck it up through a bypass to a 1 mic filter, let the filter dry, scrape it off, package it and sell it to auto paint shops.

I agree that this is "African Dust". When it settles to the bottom, I vacuum to waste to get rid of it. I find no reason to use any chemicals, since it settles to the bottom by itself. A sand filter is not able to capture this fine dust. I am not sure even a DE filter could capture it.

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
Can't thank all of you enough. Got it figured out I think, thanks to everyones suggestions, need another day or two to see if it worked. Simple put it on waste and vaccumed. Gone and has not returned for 4 hours. Needs another vaccuming, but will let it settle. Flocking might be a good idea next time. My wife said flocking in not allowed in the pool, but she's English. LOL Thanks again everyone

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We bought a pool rover jr. We call it the robot. It runs all around the pool and cleans it out. Have to change its diaper daily though

If the diaper catches the fine African dust, then that is a good answer. Please do post if you have that same fine dust, if the robot picks it up, and what the model of the robot is. Could be a good answer for those of us with that same issue if it indeed catches the fine powder.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Can't thank all of you enough. Got it figured out I think, thanks to everyones suggestions, need another day or two to see if it worked. Simple put it on waste and vaccumed. Gone and has not returned for 4 hours. Needs another vaccuming, but will let it settle. Flocking might be a good idea next time. My wife said flocking in not allowed in the pool, but she's English. LOL Thanks again everyone

The powder will return after a few days of exposure to more dust from Africa, if it is the same problem I am seeing. But if you do the same thing by letting it settle and vacuuming to waste, at least the pool will be much clearer than just re-circulating the dust which the filter won't trap.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We bought a pool rover jr. We call it the robot. It runs all around the pool and cleans it out. Have to change its diaper daily though

At almost $300 it is a solution, but not a cheap one. Then again, pools and boats are not cheap..

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I looked at the robot things many times. NOT worth it for cost, having to deal with the diaper, have to take it out when using the pool and my guys and me will have nothing to do? Looking at the costs, NO WAY. They don't monitor the pool conditions or what chems are needed so really back to square one.

I have two pools and systems and have no real problem. Let's NOT make a big deal out of something that isn't.

If you and/or your staff can not keep your pool clean? Hire a once a week pool guy/service.

The OP did the right thing after all our input. He vac'ed with filter on waste. I hope that is all that he needs. BTY OP.... Flocking in the pool is very nice but be sure you both know what that means. :)