Ongoing Thread for Gardeners, Farmers, Jardineros, Agronomos, etc....Pics and Vids!!

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
Maybe a thread like this already exists. Maybe not. I'd like to make an ongoing thread where we can talk all things growing - plants, animals, trees, fish, everything in the DR. I will get things started.

The list of everything found in the vid is below. Also, I am starting some pitaya (dragonfruit), guanabana (soursop,) pineapple, bhut jolakia, chocolate habaneros, cacao, and more. I hope you all chime in an help make this thread a success.

[video=youtube_share;kphHYXhB9IM]http://youtu.be/kphHYXhB9IM[/video]

Caimito (Chrysophyllum cainito) aka Star Apple
Mamon (Annona reticulata) aka Bullock's Heart
Peppers
Cacao (Theobroma cacao) aka chocolate tree
Black Sapote or Zapote (Diospyros digyna)
Candongo (Rollinia deliciosa)
Guanabana aka soursop (Annona muricata)
Mango (Mangifera)
Pitaya aka Dragonfruit (Hylocereus)
Auyama aka calabaza
Cantaloupe
Watermelon
Papaya
Coconut

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
part of my dreams are move to DR,

buy a larg 4k square meters lot, good price, do you have one?

grow all kind of plants, for pleasure sake

have a large shop to build and repair anything

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

I bet you could find a rental fro a good price.... share the crop w/ the owner as rent or part of it

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have about 5,000 sq meters in the mountains and am growing:
mango
avocado
lime, grapefruit, orange
cranberry
corn
batata
yuca
plantains
guineo
yautilla
tomatos
cauliflour
rutabaga
herbs all sorts
auyama
breadfruit
peas
peppers of all sorts
once it cools down a bit will do all the UK/american stuff like beans, peas, broccoli, cucumber, lettuce, parsnips, eggplant, zucchini

Matilda

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i brought few lemons (the yellow kind) from home and i am desperate to grow them, finally. i tried few times and my black death fingers killed all life, as always...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
i brought few lemons (the yellow kind) from home and i am desperate to grow them, finally. i tried few times and my black death fingers killed all life, as always...

Huge thread on those lemons a while back , D.... somebody here has trees....

I'm trying to remember....

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
I would advise anyone to consider starting a container garden. One of the advantages, no weeding.
:) Another one is in case of an impending storm you can move the pots to a safe location.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009

Good Luck with this.
Where this property is people lease, not likely to sell for a decent amount.
I got lucky. We were walking around the campo one day and my father-in-law pointed out a property and old friend was going to sell. We acted fast, I was back in the US when they sat with the owner in Santiago. Believe it is 4 Tareas. Paid $1,800.00 at that time. Couldn't get the bucks there fast enough.
Place was overgrown, small house, outside cooking area and a total mixture of stuff growing wild. Just as CC says.
Coconut Palms, Breadfruit, Noni, Veggies, all there in great soil.
Bonus for me was the Out House had a concrete petistile perfect for my height!!
Outsiders are not always wanted. That property is in gringo terms, about 70 yards X 50 yards.
Best Wishes with your dream. It is possible.
If you are not Dominican (or married to one) you may want to pursue another dream.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Matilda, Are your familiar with the Cervios area? Some of the items you mention, I'd like to start. Might be too warm? Thanks.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I think that some have made or trying to make this very simple with what they grow without provided specifics concerning the area and crops. Having a farm in Jarabacoa area, or many of the D.R.'s micro climates, gives several types of crops that will not grow on the coast. Many crops on the coast will not grow in Jarabacoa.

General statements without backing them up with condition details is a dis-service to everyone.

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Yeah Ringo. Even if you went by a Topographical Map is not a good enough guide. Too many variables for certain things.
I second the vote for a Sticky!!!
Apples in Constanza with ice on them?

DominicanQuest

Oct 22, 2012
Good Luck with this.
Where this property is people lease, not likely to sell for a decent amount.
I got lucky. We were walking around the campo one day and my father-in-law pointed out a property and old friend was going to sell. We acted fast, I was back in the US when they sat with the owner in Santiago. Believe it is 4 Tareas. Paid $1,800.00 at that time. Couldn't get the bucks there fast enough.
Place was overgrown, small house, outside cooking area and a total mixture of stuff growing wild. Just as CC says.
Coconut Palms, Breadfruit, Noni, Veggies, all there in great soil.
Bonus for me was the Out House had a concrete petistile perfect for my height!!
Outsiders are not always wanted. That property is in gringo terms, about 70 yards X 50 yards.
Best Wishes with your dream. It is possible.
If you are not Dominican (or married to one) you may want to pursue another dream.

I know of a small town where the tareas are going for 30K pesos negotiable. So....4 tareas would be $120,000 pesos neg. That is about, what? $2800. Get them to knock it down to $25,000/tarea and you are getting it at $2352. Not the same price, but not too far off in gringo terms either. I really should buy. Gonna go take a look in a couple of weekends.

If you buy a large lot you can get them down in the you can get it knocked down to $7500/tarea, but were are talking about spending over $100K in land at that price.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
OP. You asked about farming and now you are talking buying land without anything about the land, soil conditions, water, temps, rain or crop.

Buying land is rather easy. Knowing what one is buying is the hard part.