Free D.R roaming if T-mobile customer

Cwoo33

Sep 25, 2013
I have a question about this. We are moving in December/January. Would it be cheaper to get tmobile or go through a Dominican cell service? My husband goes back and forth for work right now but I've never been. His only experience has been his company phone that his company pays for. I need data and texting to be unlimited. I plan on calling tmobile soon but I just was curious as to what someone with more experience/knowledge thought?

Apr 13, 2011
If T-Mobile is truly free data roaming, then Google Voice, Viber and Skype all become easy options for contacting people outside the DR by using the phone's internet data. I am waiting to hear what the "hidden fees" are...

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I phoned TMobile and was told the plan started Oct. 21. I am here and there is nothing on the 21st.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
yes, grabs a phone signal and gives you a private hotspot.

Instead of wiring a house , you just set this up.

You T, can use it on a picnic w/ a female friend.....

Not for streaming but e-mails and the social networks... 100 bites or whatever a month for $10 or $20

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
I phoned TMobile and was told the plan started Oct. 21. I am here and there is nothing on the 21st.

Existing Simple Choice customers with qualifying plan option will have global coverage automatically added to their plan on October 31st.

In addition to unlimited talk, text, and data while on T-Mobile?s home network, you?re also covered worldwide with the Simple Choice Plan. Qualifying plans will automatically include unlimited data and texting in more than 100 Simple Global countries at no extra charge ? starting on 10/20/13 for new customers and 10/31/13 for existing customers. And calls from covered countries are only 20 cents a minute.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
If T-Mobile is truly free data roaming, then Google Voice, Viber and Skype all become easy options for contacting people outside the DR by using the phone's internet data. I am waiting to hear what the "hidden fees" are...

I have a question about this. We are moving in December/January. Would it be cheaper to get tmobile or go through a Dominican cell service? My husband goes back and forth for work right now but I've never been. His only experience has been his company phone that his company pays for. I need data and texting to be unlimited. I plan on calling tmobile soon but I just was curious as to what someone with more experience/knowledge thought?

T-Mobile is entirely alive to this possibilities, and its own conditions make it crystal clear that you can?t use this as a permanent International roaming solution:

"Not for extended (more then six weeks) international use; you must reside in the U.S. and primary usage must occur on our U.S. network.

Device must register on our U.S. network before international use. Service may be terminated or restricted for excessive roaming or misuse."

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Saw commercial in NE just yesterday. Something about extending into 100 countries. Wondered if DR was one of them. Now I know. Great news.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
yes, grabs a phone signal and gives you a private hotspot.

Instead of wiring a house , you just set this up.

You T, can use it on a picnic w/ a female friend.....

Not for streaming but e-mails and the social networks... 100 bites or whatever a month for $10 or $20

Does it work in the DR?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, I bought it for there b/c my Claro no es claro a mi casa...

it works globally and is private.. unlike th Wi-Fi hotspots at airports, restaurants, etc.

picks up any signal.

I had a real eager beaver tech guy who set me all up for NoAmerica and RD

Verizon works in RD... the sales girl today used hers at Punta Cana...
Data is cheap, talking or 'you tubing' is NOT.

You can use your US/Cdn phones for data very easily/economically... careful w/ talking

notnotorious

Oct 31, 2013
Thanks TMO!

It's working nicely!
Speedtest.net reports ~14KBs (112 kbs), which is fine for basic data usage. TMO had announced it was going to be throttle to 128kbs
7m06eQm.png