How can you become a mod

Rep Dom

Bronze
Dec 27, 2011
Hi everyone, it's not that I'd like to become a mod. But I'm just curious how can one access to that privileged status. You must apply? Send a letter of motivation? Be friend with someone important?
;)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There has to be an need or opening [a mod quits, gets ill, dies, moves, etc.].

Last time Robert posted that he was looking for several new mods, and anyone who was interested was to send him a message.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
40 bucks an hour!!!!!!!! hahahahahahaha

No pay!!!!! Just alot of giving back to the community!!!!

Believe it or not, if a company asks what do I do to give back to the comminity during an interview, I mention DR1.

Robert would supply reference if necessary. :)

May 12, 2005
Hi everyone, it's not that I'd like to become a mod. But I'm just curious how can one access to that privileged status. You must apply? Send a letter of motivation? Be friend with someone important?
;)

You have to kill someone with your bare hands

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Do Mods get paid or do it out of the goodness of their own hearts????

all this work plus the insults we have to bare :rolleyes: is all done from the goodness of our hearts. Starts off because we want to help later we wonder if we're crazy. If you start off being somewhat sane it won't take long :laugh:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I know CC was one of the first. Robert, Dolores.

Robert and Dolores don't count because they are admin. First mods were Pib ( Clara from Dominican Cooking) and Hillbilly. They moderated the then new DR debates forum. Then Robert made CCCCC mod of the General Stuff forum. We thought Robert had lost his mind but it worked out well because CCCCC became calmer. :laugh:

I was the forth mod added back in March 2003. I'm still here? Took a short break and came back :surprised

Omar_NYC

Mar 22, 2013
I used to mod a car audio forum sometime ago. It is a thankless job, but when dealing with a closely-knit online community of well-intentioned regulars it's alright to make do.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Sometimes when you have to deal with bs, it becomes foolish to be a mod!!!!

Thankless job at times!!!

Our job is to bring all people together. If these two can do it, so can we-

rjl3pc.jpg

As for what you need to do to become a mod, the last part of the interview process is to have a sit-down with Robert. Just remember not to put the Stevia in your coffee-(if you watched the last episode of "Breaking Bad", you'll understand the reference).

2hxy4q0.jpg

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
This is a good thread. It is nice to know a little more of the history of how the board came together. The Mods work hard and we can see examples of this on a daily basis. It can be thankless but it is ultimately necessary especially with as diverse of a group that exists here.

Keep up the good work and thanks.

Robert and Dolores don't count because they are admin. First mods were Pib ( Clara from Dominican Cooking) and Hillbilly. They moderated the then new DR debates forum. Then Robert made CCCCC mod of the General Stuff forum. We thought Robert had lost his mind but it worked out well because CCCCC became calmer. :laugh:

I was the forth mod added back in March 2003. I'm still here? Took a short break and came back :surprised

Fireguy sad one of the original mods, he introduced me to Robert in 2001, shortly there after I was asked to be a mod.