Volunteer Work Available in Bavaro Area

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
I will be in Bavaro this winter again, from after Christmas until after Semana Santa. I would love to do more to contribute to the DR this year, besides a strong increase in Brugal sales. Does anyone know of any organizations which require volunteers in the Bavaro area? I'd be willing to go as far as Veron or Higuey, although I'd be on the bus, as I do not own a car yet.

I am good with animals, children and people in general. My Spanish skills are still pretty basic, but I am studying away and hoping to improve more this winter. I am a first year English major, so I have a good grasp of English grammar and I have some experience with special needs children as I am the mother to DD son.

I really would like to do something to contribute to the country that I love so much, and in the meantime keep myself occupied. I would pursue a regular job despite the obvious limitations in pay, although I am wary of potentially taking a job away from a local that really needs it.

If anyone has any ideas or knows of any organizations that require a hand please let me know.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I don't want to hijack your thread, but i'm also looking for similar volunteer work this winter on the north coast.

1. I'm also good with animals...as long as they do not bite or throw poop at me. If they bite me, i will not hesitate to bite back. I have a pet monkey at home, and i have found the only way to control her and put her in her place is to bite her back harder. Once i lock on, i am like a pitbull, only stronger.

2. I'm also good with children between the ages of 1 month to 6 months...before they can walk, talk non-sense, and throw poop & food at the walls. I'm not so good with people in general, however, i do work well around people who do not mind taking orders and do not talk back. I find i work better around deaf people.

3. I have no problem taking a job away from a local; I find them generally to be lazy, sloth like, unmotivated, incapable of telling the truth, perpetually tardy, gifted in the art of fabrication, gifted in the art of gab & talking loud, habitually checking their Blackberry's & texting their friends), consistently taking short cuts at work, incapable of taking orders, and completely ignorant at customer service.

In conclusion, I'm good with some people, not others. yes, I am Dominican.

Frank

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
You can work with animals through Rescatame. The ladies that run the charity all speak English an work around Bavaro. They have a Facebook page you can check out. There is also Collares Rojos if you decide you want to visit Bayahibe, which is a nice litttle town.

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
Ha ha....I however am not Dominican. As a self identified Dominican person, can you not say that maybe you describe yourself in the third point and prove it in the first two points?

As a Canadian- I take orders well, delegate well, have been taught through many work experiences how to lead others while taking orders from a person in higher management.

I have the ability to apologize for indiscretions that I have not done before they happen.

I also have the innate ability to make Dominicans uncomfortable by thanking them at every available opportunity. I am experienced in feeding four watchimen good nutritious meals as well. I was disappointed to find out that Haitian watchimen do not gain weight, no matter how much I feed them, this has not stopped me from trying. I think they really enjoyed the spaghetti and fajitas the most.

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
You can work with animals through Rescatame. The ladies that run the charity all speak English an work around Bavaro. They have a Facebook page you can check out. There is also Collares Rojos if you decide you want to visit Bayahibe, which is a nice litttle town.

Thanks, I have been wanting to visit Bayahibe for awhile. What is Collares Rojos? I am going to check out Rescatame now.

skynet

Bronze
Aug 25, 2013
Okay!!!!

Turkey with lots of gravy, mashed potatoes why of course and/or french my fries, meatloaf, asparagus, salad with wee, wee french dressing large coke?? However, a #1 at Mcdonalds would work with 10 hot fudge sundaes..YUM! again, large coke attached with refills, come on! and then you can thank me too..:)

serious, can somebody post that Animal link to FB please..

Anthony

Ha ha....I however am not Dominican. As a self identified Dominican person, can you not say that maybe you describe yourself in the third point and prove it in the first two points?

As a Canadian- I take orders well, delegate well, have been taught through many work experiences how to lead others while taking orders from a person in higher management.

I have the ability to apologize for indiscretions that I have not done before they happen.

I also have the innate ability to make Dominicans uncomfortable by thanking them at every available opportunity. I am experienced in feeding four watchimen good nutritious meals as well. I was disappointed to find out that Haitian watchimen do not gain weight, no matter how much I feed them, this has not stopped me from trying. I think they really enjoyed the spaghetti and fajitas the most.

Last edited:

J.Baby

Dec 23, 2012
Okay!!!!

Turkey with lots of gravy, mashed potatoes why of course and/or french my fries, meatloaf, asparagus, salad with wee, wee french dressing large coke?? However, a #1 at Mcdonalds would work with 10 hot fudge sundaes..YUM! again, large coke attached with refills, come on! and then you can thank me too..:)

serious, can somebody post that Animal link to FB please..

Anthony

If someone could link the facebook group that would be awesome, there is more than one... I have a dog who comes with us, and I am amazed at the resilience of the Dominican animals, also in awe of the Dominican treatment of animals, which is a whole other story..... Also....
Did I just volunteer to make thanksgiving dinner for all the watchimen and wanna be watchimen of Bavaro by accident? I am going to need a large turkey.

I feel the need to apologize and thank at the same time. Being a Canadian is tough sometimes.

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
Collares Rojos is another animal rescue group. They have a shelter in Bayahibe and would be happy to have more volunteers. They also have a facebook page and a website.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Some expats I know volunteer as teachers and fundraise for schools in poor areas of B?varo, like Escuela Nazareth in Friusa.
There are also occasional medical missions where they appeal for volunteers to help with organisation and interpreting.
PM me for contact details if interested.