Help with medical supplies from Ottawa via Not Just Tourists

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
I'm not sure if this should be in Living or Community, but I am sure it will be moved if necessary.

We are involved with a Ministry helping in Haiti and the Dominican Republic and we have good connections with Not Just Tourists in Ottawa, who provide free medicines and supplies to poor countries. We have some supplies waiting for us and wonder if anyone is close to or in Ottawa and will be traveling down to the north coast in the relatively near future. If so, please send me a PM and we will see if we can get the supplies down here. They are usually great with airport assistance, extra weight allowance etc.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Not Just Tourists and Medical Supplies

I've had no response to this request but just thought I would add that Not Just Tourists have offered to go to enormous lengths, practically and financially, to facilitate a volunteer bringing these supplies down, so if anyone is coming from the greater Ottawa area or a little beyond, please get in touch.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have done this in the past, when I worked in a Boston Hospital.
The biggest problem, is when you get to customs here in the DR.
They don't want to let you pass.
I had a letter from the hospital in Boston, "No Bueno"!
I probably could have "Paid" to get passed, but I had my "Pricepals"
"Back THEM"!!!!!!!:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
They held the medicine at their "Whore House" at the airport.
I got a letter from "Balaguer's Office, THAT Worked"!!!
Just a "Heads Up" for you.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
We have had people bring things in via Not Just Tourists fairly recently and they managed, not sure how it was. Let me ask to see what their experience was. Thanks for the heads up.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I had "Suitcases" full!
Did they bring a LOT??????
And, as ALWAYS, it depends on who you get as an "Inspector", and the color of your shirt!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I have done this in the past, when I worked in a Boston Hospital.
The biggest problem, is when you get to customs here in the DR.
They don't want to let you pass.
I had a letter from the hospital in Boston, "No Bueno"!
I probably could have "Paid" to get passed, but I had my "Pricepals"
"Back THEM"!!!!!!!:cheeky::cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
They held the medicine at their "Whore House" at the airport.
I got a letter from "Balaguer's Office, THAT Worked"!!!
Just a "Heads Up" for you.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

Technically, to bring in medications, you need the permission of Salud P?blica. Each time I have a medical or dental group arrive for a free clinic, I have to go through the hassle of trying to track down Wady Musa (Director of Salud P?blica in Puerto Plata) to get him to sign the letter granting permission for the entrance of the meds. That has to be sent to Customs in Santo Domingo and they grant customs clearance. It is a MAJOR hassle, and it doesn't end there. Once the group arrives, there is a doctor at the airport who checks the expiration dates of all the medications.

A small amount can probably be brought in fairly easily, but for clinics the amount transported is so high that it is necessary to negotiate the Dominican government's requirements.

skinny36

Mar 2, 2010
We have made several trips with half suit cases full of medical supplies. We just don't say anything but have all the proper documentation in hand just in case....never been a issue. I think if you are going with a ton of stuff, you might sound alarm bells but for the most part its been smooth sailing for us at the POP airport.
Cheers Sandra

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Salud Publica" needs to learn that "Outdated" medicine, is BETTER than NO Medicine!!!!!!!
But if someone needs a "Med", why not force them to buy it here at a Pharmacy, and pay 10 times as much as in the USA, and if it's from Canada, even cheaper!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Now, Paaaaaallleeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, don't all the "Experts" jump in with negative comments about "Out Dated Meds"!!!!

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
"Out Dated Meds"!!!!

I am an expert... Sort of, yo soy paramedico. Medical supplies and medications expire because they have to, by law, and the companies that produce them can choose dates earlier then the law states if they want to. I work on a vessel for an oil company, and I am sitting on enough expired supplies to open a circa 2010 hospital. Most of what is expired is gauze, bandages, syringes, and needles. I don't think I would have any problem getting that stuff into the DR, if the company let me take it instead of throwing it away. My problem is, I am currently in Nigeria. So, I would have to make it through Nigerian customs, US customs, and DR customs.

Anyone have any experience with US customs and medical supplies? No meds, just gauze, bandages, and syringes.